AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend asked me to pick out a home theater system, but unfortunately when it comes to speakers I don't have much knowledge (I'm more of a video guy
). He just ordered a yamaha-663 and has about 500 to spend on some fronts. The yamaha ran him 100 more than he wanted, so if I could point him to a set of fronts for under 400 he'd be happy. He's getting my sub, so it's just fronts we're concerned with. About four years ago I bought the JBL northridge e80's, and always wondered if it pointless to buy towers since i'm crossing at 80hz them on the receiver. I know a lot of people here feel that you should just get some nice bookshelf speakers for the fronts. Can I throw one more variable in the mix and ask for center speaker advice?

So: 400-500, what fronts and if cash remains what center speaker?

Thanks!

Nathaniel

·
Registered
720 Posts
Infinity PB162's sound really nice and would match the PC250 or PC350 centers nicely. They aren't aggressive sounding but have an overall smooth sound to them that really fills a room. Otherwise if you want something that's alittle more aggressive, I'm a big fan of the Klipsch line up. The RB-51 and 61 will both work within your price range and match the RC-52 or 62's center channel.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Check Amazon for Polk Rti8's on sale for $200 each. They were going for $330ish each just 2 months ago.

Since your in Madison you could always cruise down to Chicago and check out saturdayaudio's sale on PSB speakers. The PSB B-25 bookshelf gets amazing reviews at it's $450-500 price range and their being sold for $299 now. The Image 45 towers are on sale for $499: http://saturdayaudio.com/picturepage...maple_sale.htm

AV123 has some top notch products and are running a sale now too, their x-series mtm is down from $600 to $400: http://**********/component/page,shop...art/Itemid,37/

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
X-MTMs I think will push past $500 with shipping considered, but the X-SLS encore would be a great choice for around ~$390 delivered.

Once you pick a brand for the front left/right you need to go the same way for a center so keep that in mind. The av123 X-CS center is pretty big by most center speaker standards so it won't fit in some TV stands.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses so far. I guess I need to update my profile because I'm not in Madison anymore but that's a moot point since I'm still the same drive time to Chicago
I wish audio equipement was as easy to listen to as video is to view.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts