AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have upgrade my living room HT to a Voice1 center and a fathom f112 sub. What's left to be upgraded are the fronts and maybe surrounds (as an afterthought). Looking for suggestions on fronts and surrounds that would blend well with the Voice1. Fronts in the ultima line may be the natural choice but I am looking for bookshelf only and the gems just seem too finicky to get right aside from the fact that they are a little pricey and require equally pricey components along the signal path. I heard a suggestion of "Merlins" but haven't auditioned yet.

Cheers

·
Registered
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread57 /forum/post/16988675

I have upgrade my living room HT to a Voice1 center and a fathom f112 sub. What's left to be upgraded are the fronts and maybe surrounds (as an afterthought). Looking for suggestions on fronts and surrounds that would blend well with the Voice1. Fronts in the ultima line may be the natural choice but I am looking for bookshelf only and the gems just seem too finicky to get right aside from the fact that they are a little pricey and require equally pricey components along the signal path. I heard a suggestion of "Merlins" but haven't auditioned yet.

Cheers

How about Revel's own M22 (terrific titanium tweeters, which I believe matches the material of the Voice 1?) and the JBL PT 800's (if you can find them, very similar to Revel Gem 2's, but with titanium tweeter, if I recall correctly). If the Gems are finicky, the PT 800's might be, as well? Merlin, Joseph Audio, Dyanaudio and various others make great monitors/bookshelves, but many of them use soft domes, which might not blend well with the Voice 1. Focal might make something compatible.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy, the M22 is in the right price range and less finicky. However I don't think it has the same tweeter as the voice. The voice tweeter is described in the manual as a "textile dome tweeter". Is that anything like the titanium tweeter of the M22?

·
Registered
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread57 /forum/post/16990358

Howdy, the M22 is in the right price range and less finicky. However I don't think it has the same tweeter as the voice. The voice tweeter is described in the manual as a "textile dome tweeter". Is that anything like the titanium tweeter of the M22?

No, my bad. While they may yet work well together given their common engineering heritage, titanium and textile domes definitely are not the same! The other brands I mentioned, including the Merlin you noted, might well blend better. The M22 tweeter is crossed over very effectively and, to my ears, does not have the shortcomings sometime ascribed to metal tweeters, so you may still want to consider them. Sorry about the mix-up!

Of note, the original Ultima series speakers apparently sported a mixture of textile (Voice, Gem) and aluminum alloy (Salon, Studio) front-firing tweeters (I was recalling the Salon/Studio metal domes, but got the metal wrong). I trust that the wizards at Revel harmonized the sound profiles among the members of their very best line of speakers. Given this, I would recommend demoing the M22s and the others and see what you like best. In any event, the metal/textile issue seems less clear than I had suspected. By the way, is it the original Gem that is finicky, as you described? If not, and if you could find a reasonably priced set, that could be the best match of all (apologies, I do not know which Gem series you were referring to in your original post).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, no sweat. I can't keep track of what material various tweeter models are made with either. The Gems I was referring to are in fact the originals unfortunately. I haven't looked at the ultima2 line at all. I can audition the Merlins somewhere about an hour away. I don't have a place to audition the M22s but wouldn't mind taking the plunge if it looks likely to satisfy.

What's your opinion on surrounds? I would like to mount them at about 5ft and tilt them down. I don't really put a lot of stake in surrounds, in fact I may have considered bose speakers for a moment for that purpose, but I'd appreciate your opinion.

·
Registered
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread57 /forum/post/16991465

Hey, no sweat. I can't keep track of what material various tweeter models are made with either. The Gems I was referring to are in fact the originals unfortunately. I haven't looked at the ultima2 line at all. I can audition the Merlins somewhere about an hour away. I don't have a place to audition the M22s but wouldn't mind taking the plunge if it looks likely to satisfy.

What's your opinion on surrounds? I would like to mount them at about 5ft and tilt them down. I don't really put a lot of stake in surrounds, in fact I may have considered bose speakers for a moment for that purpose, but I'd appreciate your opinion.

Member of the hoi polloi club on that score (pun intended). I listen to music on a 2.1 set-up (featuring those M22's!), and have a fairly small (though open to other rooms), roughly 14x16, untreated listening area, so my surround duties are handled capably by Harman Kardon HKTS14 (now HKTS18, made by JBL) speakers on their available stands. Anything more for me would be a waste.

In general, I do not believe there are yet enough 5.1 or 7.1 surround effects on movies to require side and back speakers in the same league as the fronts absent a bona fide, treated (home) theater-style room, particularly if it otherwise would require a corresponding sacrifice in the quality of the front set. If I expand the space, I might look into surround speakers like the JBL HT5, Control Monitors, PT-800's, or ES20's depending on the application. Having the Voice 1, you might wish to go a bit more up-market on the surrounds than I have, and the aforementioned JBL's and similar speakers might satisfy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts