AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a stunningly good film - perhaps Ron Howard's greatest to date.

Equally stunning is how unbelievably bad the marketing is to release a film based upon such historical/political events just before Christmas. People have been staying away in droves, choosing more standard lightweight Hollywood fare. Obviously there is no way a kid or teen would sit through this subject matter, don't even try. Likewise adults who were not old enough to have an interest in the news in the 1970's should possibly study up upon the historical events before seeing the film. I promise you, it is worth the effort.

Frank Langella gives what is possibly his best performance, and he is outstanding. In fact there are no miscast or poor performances in the entire film.

Langella as Nixon and Michael Sheen as Frost are repeating their roles from the Tony-award winning play. I'll have to say, film is the media of choice for this story. It should be equally as good on DVD.

SEE THIS FILM. It is worth the trouble to look it up.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy /forum/post/15447243

This is a stunningly good film - perhaps Ron Howard's greatest to date.

Equally stunning is how unbelievably bad the marketing is to release a film based upon such historical/political events just before Christmas. People have been staying away in droves, choosing more standard lightweight Hollywood fare. Obviously there is no way a kid or teen would sit through this subject matter, don't even try. Likewise adults who were not old enough to have an interest in the news in the 1970's should possibly study up upon the historical events before seeing the film. I promise you, it is worth the effort.

Frank Langella gives what is possibly his best performance, and he is outstanding. In fact there are no miscast or poor performances in the entire film.

Langella as Nixon and Michael Sheen as Frost are repeating their roles from the Tony-award winning play. I'll have to say, film is the media of choice for this story. It should be equally as good on DVD.

SEE THIS FILM. It is worth the trouble to look it up.
+1 Highly Recommended!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
It has been poorly marketed. I'm interested, just haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I'm not really very interested in Nixon. I find that whole part of Presidential history completely boring. Maybe it's because I clearly remember living through the endless drama of the Watergate hearings on TV. But I have heard nothing but good about this film. So I will most likely have to watch it, once it's becomes available from Netflex.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
+2

I'd be remiss not to bring this thread back from the dead. My wife brought this Blu-ray home tonight and I immediately grumbled and complained that we just watched a nixon film last year and I have no interest at all in watching this film. Well a couple hours later and all I can say is that this film completely sucked me in and I enjoyed it enough to feel it's easily the best I've watched in a year...possibly 3. Langella's performance as Nixon was outstanding and puts him in a league few actors will ever attain. The picture and sound quality is easily the best I've experienced for a very long time as well, overall a captivating movie well worth the rent, I think I'll add it to my collection just for the reference quality dialogue alone.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
This movie kicks ass.......and I'm usually the type to prefer action/sci-fi. I don't buy much on BR but I'm picking this one up because I want to dig into the extras, particularly Howard's commentary. It's my fave movie watched this year so far.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
I’m positively looking forwards to buying it on DVD when it comes out or when I have the LCD all up and running with few other trimmings which should be around after May for LCDvideoprojector install late July at the very least.

Region 2 release date May 18th

I’m not sure about the artwork deigns for the cover it kinder looks tacky with The New Of The World and The Sun plastered over it. Those newspapers are dodgy here in the UK!

I guess I could get some gloss white paper and stick it over the text then I won’t be swinging from chandelier, every time look at the cover.

Here’s my alternative design now this looks much, much when it plays in JBL and THX!

I’ll buy the two-disc DVD set with extras, extras.

“I’m not a crook”

President, Richard Nixon

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
The BD was out, so I rented this on DVD. The film was so good, that I didn't notice. A more than fairly accurate redo of a very small piece of this story, but it conveyed so much more. I don't see how Langella didn't walk away with the Oscar for this performance and Sheen played Frost with equal panache. The Frost character, not nearly as dynamic in this piece (and in real life) was a perfect foil to allow the Nixon character to emote the full effect of this strong, eccentric and sometimes bizarre personality. I agree, it's Howard's best film. I rate this one higher than Slumdog and right up there with Benjamin Button as the class of 08.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I watched this last night on PPV and it was excellent...Ron Howards best film to date. Outstanding writing, performances and sublime acting by both leads make this moving extremely entertaining. A must see and one of the best films of 2008.

·
23,032 Posts
I just finished watching the BD. Excellent movie!! Sean Penn can be a good actor but I don't see how he could off a role like Langella did playing Nixon. But there I go thinking the Oscars winners are always the best performers each year.
I guess I need to see Milk and Pitt's movie, too, before whining too much.

larry

·
Registered
22,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/16374937

I just finished watching the BD. Excellent movie!! Sean Penn can be a good actor but I don't see how he could off a role like Langella did playing Nixon. But there I go thinking the Oscars winners are always the best performers each year.
I guess I need to see Milk and Pitt's movie, too, before whining too much.

larry

LOL, well if Nixon were gay in the film, Langella would have gotten it. But Milk is easily as good of a display of acting talent. They both deserved the award.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Been wanting to see this - but no theater will even show it here in Backwoods Okihoma.

seems and sounds like a SMART film.

i hope to see it someday.

·
23,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/16375224

LOL, well if Nixon were gay in the film, Langella would have gotten it. But Milk is easily as good of a display of acting talent. They both deserved the award.

I put Milk in my queue. I'm sure Penn does a decent job. I also noticed I had already seen The Visitor. Not bad movie, and Jenkins did a good job.

larry

·
Registered
8,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/16376847

I put Milk in my queue. I'm sure Penn does a decent job. I also noticed I had already seen The Visitor. Not bad movie, and Jenkins did a good job.

larry

Penn did more than a decent job. He stepped into the character and you forget he's SP. He made the movie. However, the subtlety and power that Langella conveyed as Nixon trumped that performance and I felt F/N was the better film and screenplay. YMMV...watch Milk and you decide.

Of the great films of last year so far...

BB - I saw this in the theater on opening day (Xmas). I rarely go to the movies, but this one I connected with emotionally even though it was more of a fantasy than any of the others.

F/N - It's at least on equal footing with BB as far as my enjoyment, but I might find that I like this one better. I'll have to see when BB comes out on BD next week.

SD - Good, but not great. Predictable storytelling gimmick and really just a vanilla boy meets girl and eventually gets her, but with the backdrop of a culture that we in the west don't see much.

Milk - Interesting, great acting by Penn, but ultimately failed in entertaining...me at least.

The Wrestler - again, good but not great. Performances are outstanding, but let's say the role wasn't a stetch for MR.

Doubt - great acting, but very low on the entertainment scale for me.

Frozen River - not a fan

I've got The Reader here to watch this weekend, but due to the subject matter I doubt it will break in to my top 2. I notice the technical merits of films, but it's secondary on how I personally rate them. I judge them by how the story moves and entertains me and thus subject matter heavily weighs into it.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Fastest two hours I've spent watching a movie in some time. Extraordinary performances by Langella and Sheen...

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Watched The Reader last night. KW deserved the Oscar. When she was on screen the film soared. I liked the young Michael, but felt the Ray Fiennes version a tad too far removed an opaque. I don't think it was his fault as much as the script. All in all, I enjoyed the film a great deal. Still for entertainment, BB and F/N are my 2 favs. TR I appreciated more than SD.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Looking very forward to seeing this one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts