Studio and Year: Disney - 2013
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 102 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.24:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Kristin Bell, Josh Gad, Idina Menzel, Jonathon Groff, Alan Tudyk, Santino Fontana, Ciaran Hinds
Directed by: Jennifer Lee & Chris Buck
Music by: Robert Lopez, Kristin Anderson-Lopez, Christophe Beck
Written by: Jennifer Lee – Inspired by “The Snow Queen” by Hans Christian Anderson
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 18, 2014
"Let it go….!"

Film Synopsis:

Fearless optimist Anna sets off on an epic journey — teaming up with rugged mountain man Kristoff and his loyal reindeer Sven — to find her sister Elsa, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom of Arendelle in eternal winter. Encountering Everest-like conditions, mystical trolls and a hilarious snowman named Olaf, Anna and Kristoff battle the elements in a race to save the kingdom.

My Take:

I am a sucker for Disney animated films. I watched this one with my entire family which includes my 19 year old son and 21 year old daughter and we all enjoyed every minute. The spirit of Disney animated films is something that I grew up on and I find that I still respond to them in a similar way. Disney’s ability to create evocative and charming stories built around endearing characters is second to none. Inspired by Hans Chrsitian Anderson’s story “The snow queen” Frozen tells the story of princess Anna, a fearless young woman who sets off on a journey alongside a rugged, thrill-seeking mountain man named Kristoff, his loyal pet reindeer Sven, and a hapless and completely lovable snowman named Olaf, to find her estranged sister Queen Elsa, whose icy powers have inadvertently trapped their kingdom in eternal winter.

Frozen is an American Fairytale/animated musical that is reminiscent of films like The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the beast but with a contemporary flavor. This is a cute, funny and adventurous animated film that features modern themed humor, a typically heartwarming story and a cache of entertaining characters. Anna and Kristoff get the lion’s share of screen time. Watching them interact, along with the scene stealing tandem of Olaf and Sven, makes for the film’s best moments. As we have come to expect from Disney there is a variety of music set pieces featured in the story. I can’t say that all stood out for me but I really enjoyed the “Let it go” number which is beautifully arranged and performed.

The script is wonderfully balanced and offers up a little romance, drama, action and perfectly integrated humor. The beautifully crafted digital imagery lends to the entertainment value and the cast as you might expect is well placed. Kristin Bell and Jonathan Groff are splendid in the lead roles while capably strong supporting performances come from Josh Gad and Idina Menzel. Being a big kid at heart I love the adventurous escapism of fairytales and Disney has a knack for engaging storytelling and charming characters. There is always something memorable to take away from them which I am sure is something that Walt himself aspired to.

Frozen is simply lots of fun and makes for terrific family entertainment that has a little something for everyone.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for mild rude humor and some action/violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency effects:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

• *Low frequency extension (non-rated element):

Video: 100

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Frozen comes to Blu-ray from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5 Mbps.

This is beautifully crafted digital animation that felt reminiscent of the hand drawn Disney films of yesteryear. Images are awash with lustrous and slightly oversaturated hues that are wonderfully diverse and make for visually engaging eye candy. Blues are particularly vivid with visible gradational stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation. Each of the characters has distinctive physical qualities that are attributable to the color of their clothing, hair, eyes, or skin. The video is immaculately resolved with pristine quality and fine minutia that shows strict attention to detail. The facial features of the various characters have a smooth but lifelike quality that allows them to display a varied range of emotions. Contrast and black levels strike a great balance as whites are bright, detailed and punchy while blacks exhibit inky levels and excellent dynamic range. This is a resplendent, polished, and beautifully rendered Blu-ray presentation that looks fabulous on my large front projection display.

The soundtrack for this film is not the type that contains continued use of powerful low frequency transients or extended dynamics. Its strengths lie in its attention to detail and beautifully crafted music and the lossless DTS-HD Master Audio handles it superbly. The musical numbers, Christophe Beck’s score, and the giant snow monster sequence are the centerpieces of the mix and feature well-articulated instrumentation, smooth integration of the vocal performances and sound effects to create an involving surround experience. Dialogue is definitively authoritative with excellent clarity and room penetration through the center channel. Off camera directional cues and panning sequences are spot on which help create a believable and stable sound stage. I was impressed with the amount of subtle nuance that is clearly audible even during busier sequences. The surrounds are actively engaged either in support of the music or to handle the films associated sound effects. Room energizing low frequency effects are not used often but when present (there is serious weight to the snow giant’s footfalls) it shakes things quite nicely. I found this to be a well-balanced and pleasing surround mix that accented this wonderful animated family film.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Original theatrical short: “Get a horse” – 6 minutes

• (HD) The making of Frozen – 3 minute cast/crew musical performance

• (HD) D’Frosted: Disney’s journey from Hans Christian Anderson to Frozen – 7 minute featurette

• (HD) 4 deleted scenes with introduction by director’s Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee

• (HD) 5 music videos

• (HD) Original teaser trailer

• Bonus DVD

• Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Frozen is a charming, heartwarming and refreshing Disney animated film that makes for pitch perfect family entertainment. This two disc Collector’s Edition Blu-ray package from Disney features a superlative high definition viewing experience coupled with reference quality 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound. The supplemental features are sparse and include insights from the filmmakers, a wonderful animated short film and both a standard definition DVD of the film and Digital copy. Frozen was a hit in my house and comes highly recommended on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector

(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal )

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System

Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)

Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Is there any word on the 3D version for the US? Was it really canceled?

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Nice write-up! Really excited for this on BD and so is my wife! We also are suckers for Disney Animations old and new and we loved this at the theater! From the "Get a Horse" short to the songs and wonderfull animation done in the movie it was a lot of fun. Really excited to experience it in my own theater.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the review Ralph. Already have it on pre-order. Plan is to take grandma out to dinner then surprise her with this. She loves these types of movies.

·
UHD Addict
38,665 Posts
Hopefully the UK version is identical to this. I ordered the 3D version from Amazon UK for $30 shipped(well at least with the exchange rate on the day I pre-ordered). It inlcudes the 2D BD and the 3D BD. But it isn't supposed to be released until March 31st.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I definitely want this film in my collection and have it on my 'wish list', but might try to wait it out and see if Disney decides to make a 3D version available on blu-ray here in the USA. I've read that the UK version which includes 2D and 3D blu-ray discs is actually region B, even though their website says it is region free.

Thanks for the review, Ralph!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar  /t/1521910/frozen-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review#post_24467406

I definitely want this film in my collection and have it on my 'wish list', but might try to wait it out and see if Disney decides to make a 3D version available on blu-ray here in the USA. I've read that the UK version which includes 2D and 3D blu-ray discs is actually region B, even though their website says it is region free.

That would a disappointment to a lot of folks, I'm sure. Fortunately, it's no problem for those of us whose "back-up" our discs
That has saved me on at least one occasion so far. The U.S. version of "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" goes for $100 on ebay, the Region B locked U.K. version goes for about $15.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar  /t/1521910/frozen-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review#post_24467406

link to where you read that?

·
UHD Addict
38,665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl  /t/1521910/frozen-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review#post_24467785

That would a disappointment to a lot of folks, I'm sure. Fortunately, it's no problem for those of us whose "back-up" our discs
That has saved me on at least one occasion so far. The U.S. version of "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" goes for $100 on ebay, the Region B locked U.K. version goes for about $15.
Really!! I picked it up off ebay two or three years ago for only $15 or $20. if they are worth that much now then I think I might be selling my copy.

EDIT: Ijust looked at my purchase history. it was $26.50 I paid in April 2012. If I can get $100 though, I have no problem selling it. I actually only just watched it a few months ago. It had been sitting on my server for a while.

I don't think I'll be waiting that long to watch Frozen though.

·
Registered
805 Posts
My 5 year old and 8 year old are chomping at the bit to get this, so naturally I have it pre-ordered thru Amazon. I just recently finished my media room and I'm DYING to get this in 3D for them. The kids were super bummed the other day when I informed them that they are not planning to have a 3D release here in the US. So, here's my question. I've got an OPPO BDP-103 BR player. Can I order this from overseas in 3D (from the UK) and watch it on my OPPO? I've never really researched the "region" thing with blu-ray discs so I am sort of clueless when it comes to what regions I can play and which ones I can't. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts