AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help or insight you can provide would be helpful!

I have been really interested in 2 remotes. the Harmony 890 Pro and the MX-450. While I like the price of the 890 Pro better I just can't convince myself that I will not be needing to buy a new one a year from now which is not what i want.

I think I have settled on the MX-450 w/MRF-260 base station and have a few questions.

1. Any insight on use, programming, etc is helpful. (I went this way from reading everything here and on the web about MX-450)

2. I want to control 2 recievers, DVD, HTPC (XBMC), Dish VIP722k, and would love to do a few lighting controls.

The questions are:

1. Is it possible to set this up as a multi-room remote? What are the restrictions on length of IR emitter cable?

2. Do I have to use URC lighting controls if I want to use the RF capability or can I use the standard Lutron? What model do I need to buy if I have 2 switches that control for can lights? (I wold only want to replace the dimmer that I currently have and leave the other switch the standard on/off)

3. If at some point in the future I want to have another remote can I use one of their other RF enabled remotes with the MRF-260 at the same time as the MX-450? (Say just to control the receiver that plays music through the house.)

Is there any other remote that I should consider. I had looked at the AR touchscreen with RF but do not know if the quality is there or not and I am not looking for just a gimmick (touchscreen) if it really does not add much value. I know URC has been a solid company with good RF capabilities.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
1) yes. but any learning remote could technically be set up as a multi-room remote. whether or not it's user friendly or not, that's a different question. my preference is to keep remotes living in their own room. keeps user error to a minimum that way.

2) yes, you do. i'm not sure if i understand the second part of the question? why would you want/need an on/off and a dimmer in series? i'm not saying that you don't have a good reason why, but i can't figure it out.

3) yes.

i suppose there's a bunch of remotes to consider, but you need to tell us how much money we can spend...

edit: oops forgot. in terms of programming tips, i find it a lot "easier" to program remotes (or anything, for that matter) if i flowchart out everything before i start to actually code. ymmv.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. What I mean by the switch comment is this:

My family room is 34 x 17.5 and is kind of like two rooms. Each side has 4 can lights. The side that serves as the TV area has a dimmer for the 4 cans however there is an on/off switch in the other side of the room as well.

I hope I am explaining that ok.

As for budget I am trying to stay under the $300 mark otherwise I would go with the RTI, Phillips TSU9200, or Nevo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts