AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ok, this week I'm going to be returning my third tv in less than a year.

The problem? I hate motion blur. No, I HATE motion blur. It's annoying as hell. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to this. First TV was a Toshiba, wasn't too bad but when watched from the sides it looked WAY to bright. Returned it then I bought an LG. It wasn't bright when watched from the sides but the motion blur was horrible. I learned then that I shoudl've bought a 120 hz tv.

Ok, so then I went with a Sharp 120 hz tv. There wasn't as much motion blur but it wasn't enough for me. I turned on the Motion Enhancement options but it looked way too weird. The Soap Opera Effect is very annoying.

All these tvs have been LCD/LED, in the same price range 380-450. Same size, 42 inches.

All I want is good 42 inch TV with no motion blur at all. I considered Plasma but the burn in worries me.

I never had this problem with my 5 year old 32 inch 720p Vizio LCD. I would just like a bigger version of that, in 1080p. Again, without motion blur.

What would you recommend? Budget is 650 dollars.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
If you are concerned about motion blur, I would forget LCD and get a plasma instead. I would get a Samsung PN43F4500 plasma instead. Or possibly the LG 42PN4500. Both are nice TVs, and will look better than many LCD/LEDs even though they are 720p.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Most of these newer Samsung plasmas don't have the burn in issue. Just keep pixel orbiter turned on and sometimes do the screen wash. I have not had any problems.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKempesx  /t/1521189/frustrated-buyer-looking-for-a-new-tv#post_24446346

But...burn in
No one is going to promise you an IR free experience on a plasma, but your overall experience will be much better then what are going through now. That's for sure.

·
Registered
499 Posts

We've had our Samsung 51PNF5300 for almost a month and love it, though we've kept the contrast below 50% for the break in period. I cannot help but wonder if burn in is overhyped:  http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20092238-1/is-plasma-hdtv-burn-in-a-problem/ . I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but with a little care and thought, the possibility is greatly reduced. Having the picture quality of a plasma is worth the little effort required to avoid image retention to me.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Burn-in (and stubborn image retention (IR) still occurs.

I have a 7 yr old Panasonic plasma that I never experienced IR or burn-in. For some reason, this year it seems more prevalant in the Panasonics than the Samsungs, but with reasonable care, can be avoided.

Motion blur is most prevalant in LCDs and LED LCDs.

Basically, you have to pick your poison. Live with motion blur, or reasonable take care with a plasma.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts