AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just bought one at best buy for 599.00 can't beat it, but i just realized it has to be 17.4 inches above top of screen which will not work with my 7ft. ceilings.

Question does it have to be 17.4 from top of the screen or can it be less then that? for a screen size of 106''

If it can't it would put the bottom of my screen almost at floor level.

If this doesn't work is the Optoms hd65 compariable because i see it only needs to be 9.9 inches from the top of screen which is better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think you'll have a problem hanging it from the ceiling upside down, unless I'm missing something.

My top (bottom since it's upside down) of the projector and top of my screen are about even, roughly 7-8" from the ceiling. I'm projecting 100" from roughly 15'

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so if i hang mine upside down from ceiling having the projector only 8 inches or so from the top of the screen is ok for a 106 screen at about 13.5 feet away?

When i do the projector calculator it says 17.4 inches it should be from the top of the screen.

I'm confused. And i don't want to take it out of the box to try if it isn't going to work.

Please help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't know about getting 106" but you will get whatever the largest you can get at that throw distance. Mine is about 15' back with 100" screen, but I still have room on the zoom so could go a bigger if my wall would fit it.

I never used the calculators, so maybe someone else will chime in. I knew I wanted to use the projector and whatever size I got, I got. Held it in my hands high in the air at the back of the room and then bought a screen size to match the size I eyeballed.

·
Banned
3,899 Posts
I have mine in a little cart between 2 chairs. Consider this option if all else fails, works fine. Pics of cart in the discontinued hc1500 thread

·
Banned
3,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernalfer /forum/post/14326867

yeah but where do you sit you can't have a couch in front of it correct?

the 2 chairs. On each side of the cart. If you have a wide enough room, 2 loveseats or even couches on each side. Just a band aid, clearly the ceiling mount or rear shelf is the way to go, but this way works too

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernalfer /forum/post/14326867

yeah but where do you sit you can't have a couch in front of it correct?

Correct, the big problem with table mounting a projector with an offset and no lens shift is that you have to either sit to the side of the projector or you have to sit too far back with the projector in front of you, assuming you even have the room space to do so.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i put the projector upside down on the ceiling now the picture for 106 inch screen is still a little low, QUESTION: Can you mount it upside down and have either the back peg or rear pegs up a little making the projector not perfectly flat?

When i do this i can get the picture where i want it, but will this degrade video quality?

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernalfer /forum/post/14327178

ok i put the projector upside down on the ceiling now the picture for 106 inch screen is still a little low, QUESTION: Can you mount it upside down and have either the back peg or rear pegs up a little making the projector not perfectly flat?

When i do this i can get the picture where i want it, but will this degrade video quality?

How would raising or lowering the pegs degrade video quality?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know it was a dumb question but i'm also a projector noob. So with your statement i guess raising the pegs and having the projector tilted slightly is ok?

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernalfer /forum/post/14327300

...having the projector tilted slightly is ok?

Tilting the projector slightly and using digital keystone correction to square-up the image is okay, in moderation.

If it is used for movie/video viewing, you probably won't notice degradation but if you use it for computer graphics, the straight lines and text on screen may suffer a bit.

I have mine tilted up slightly due to a low ceiling and have applied a +3 vertical keystone correction factor and I notice NO discernable difference in the image quality. I watch only movies on my projector though.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernalfer /forum/post/14327300

i know it was a dumb question but i'm also a projector noob. So with your statement i guess raising the pegs and having the projector tilted slightly is ok?

No dumb questions here man...im a noob myself....i just took the plunge on a hc1500 as well. I also have a 106" screen but i have 8 ft ceilings. My screen with the border is approx 56.5" so according to the calculator i need 17.5" + 56.5" = 74" + whatever the mount is, i have a mustang ceiling low profile mount so its about 4" so i need 78" which leaves me 18" to play with, which is not a lot but it'll work.

I dont think raising the pegs will degrade your image as the previous poster said, im guessing you are going to use this mainly for movies and regular tv, so you should be ok.

Good luck and post some pictures when you can!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes the projector will only be used for movies and maybe some xbox360 play. The tilt i will need is very minimal i just need to gain about 4 inches upward of the picture so it isn't as low to the floor if left alone.

But i defenitly don't want to degrade the picture using keystone. So hopefully if i need to use it, that its only minimal.

Once i get it up and running i'll post some pics. Hopefully you guys can post some as well.

·
Banned
3,899 Posts
here's a few more found. I'm just pumped I found my digital camera. I thought some crackhead stole it from my vehicle a year ago and it popped up (sweet!). But here's my setup:

2 wack chairs I got from walmart with slip covers over them. HC 1500, pioneer HTS GS1, 360

decent ottoman though

when I bought my screen material, I though this stuff was blackout cloth. Turns out it was the "multicloth" at Joann Fabric. More expensive, I just went ahead and bought some. I want to make a screen with it, then black widow it

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thought I might have a problem as well. Because of my ceiling height, and not wanting to move my present screen lower, I could only get my HC1500 lens 6" above the top of my screen. Mitsubishi called for 16 1/2"! I tilted the HC1500 upward until the image filled my screen, then used keystone adjustment and the image is unbelievable, and centered beautifully.

Last night I watched King Kong on TNT HD right from the cable box, and the images and color were as good or better than anything in the "Screenshot War" thread. And this was right out of the box, with no adjustments.

I should point out that I don't do gaming or computer stuff, just tv and movies.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have mine hanging upside down from the ceiling, but i have to angle it up to counter the offset, then keystone it to fix the geometry. Until i actually finish my basement, it'll have to do. (And it does quite nicely) Sure, i loose like 10 lines of resolution from the keystone, but as Dennis Leary says "They're the ones at the end!"

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
doublestar, did you notice any difference in the quality of the picture after using the keystone feature. I can get mine about 12 inches above top of the screen and mits calls for 17.4 inches so hopefully 4.5 inches won't require to much keystoning once i tilt it up a bit.

Next question: I am mounting this under a DIY shelf on the back wall. Since it will be fixed to the board i'm not sure how i'll tilt the projector up. Any suggestions? No projector wall mounts work for me because of my Ceiling height.

I'm hoping to try and get a 106 or 110 inch screen.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I use the monoprice mount which allows "some" tilt. can always do what i used to do, stack a few 2x4s in the back, and a 1x2 in the front gave me just enough tilt. If you're putting it on a shelf though, unless that shelf is upwards of 7-8' tall, i think you'll find that you'll have to use too much keystone for it to be worth it. Stick it low and right-side-up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts