AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't what what the exact terminology is so I'll try my best here. I have calibrated my TV using DVE. My HD931 DVD Player looks Great, My VCR Looks good, My Cable box even looks good on the TV. Basically every input I throw at the TV looks Generally the same. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro that looks great when surfing the web etc etc.

Now here is my Frustration... As soon as I turn on the MYHD Software to watch TV it looks horrible, the colors are off, everything is black crushed and I have no idea how to really calibrate it. I see that it has its own adjustmets.. Brightness, Contrast etc etc. WHY DOES IT HAVE THIS? This is my problem.....

All the other devices I have give the TV the same "Type" of "Picture" signal but the MYHD card plays around with what it gets and throws off the calibration on my TV. Is there a way to basically say "Don't do any adjustments to the picture, does let the TV decide how it should look?"

Its not like I can throw a DVE disc into the PC and calibrate the output of the card. (Or Can I?)

I am using the DVI Passthrough... Its really frustrating and I am ready to ebay the thing and buy a STB and say screw it.

HEEELLLPPPP!!!!! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
354 Posts
TTA89 wrote:
Quote:
Its not like I can throw a DVE disc into the PC and calibrate the output of the card. (Or Can I?)
Maybe not now, but soon (we hope). I haven't tried it yet myself because I seem to recall someone saying that DVE still didn't work with the beta software, but I have played other DVD's using MyHD (using AnyDVD to remove region codes). DVE shouldn't have region codes so in theory you should be able to play it with the MyHD software when all of the bugs are worked out. For now, I have gone with a "looks good to me" setting of brightness, contrast, tint, and color. Not ideal but better than the black picture I was originally seeing.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why does it even have to "adjust" the picture to begin with? Thats what makes me angry!!

Why can't it just pass the picture to the TV and let the TV adjust how its supposed to look?? That way everything will look the same! DVD, Cable, Sat, VCR, whatever!!!

If can't believe this isn't an issue to anyone else. If I would have known that it was going to screw up my picture and not have a way to really adjust it correctly I would have never bought this thing!

Looks like ebay it goes and STB here I come.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Without any picture adjustments necessary, also using the DVI passthrough card, the MyHD 120 gives me the second best picture I've seen on my TV. Thats using it as a DVD player, and is second only to Comcast HDTV. I haven't watched HD on the MYHD card yet, but analog looks better than analog TV on my WinTV card which is better than Comcast analog.

Point is, there must be something wrong so I wouldn't throw in the towell yet. This doesn't sound like your problem, but have you enabled digital moniter on the VGA settings tab?

jb

·
Registered
971 Posts
Quote:
Why does it even have to "adjust" the picture to begin with? Thats what makes me angry!!
Because it is using a completely different output device than the one you calibrated with. Technically, everything except for the device you used as the source for your calibration are 'off'. They are just not as 'off' as the MyHD card. Throw one of your HD recordings up there, hit pause and adjust the MyHD to look good to you.

RG

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You didn't say how you were connected to your TV. Is the MYHD card outputting HD via Component? Are your other boxes all going in on S-Video? What does MYHD look like if you run it into a computer monitor with the RGBHV (VGA) connection. It is always possible there is a problem with your card. The guys at Digital Connection are pretty good at helping resolve problems but you might want to do a few what ifs with your system.

..Doyle

·
Registered
172 Posts
The output of the myHD card should be out-of-the-box phenomenal.

If it isn't, then it isn't hooked up right or is sending out an incompatible signal. Try 720p if 1080i not working or vice versa. If that doesn't work, check with tech support to RMA if needed.

·
Registered
969 Posts
You might be getting the crush if you're running 1080i on the MyHD. Run at 720p and see if that helps.

The MyHD effectively contains its own standalone video card, so think of it as though your PC has two video cards in it - one that you can control from the OS (the Radeon) and the other that you control using the MyHD software.

Along with an onboard video-card (and the tuner, scaler etc.) the MyHD also has a video switch that switches the output between the two 'video cards'.

Hope that makes a little sense. As posted above, adjust the settings on your MyHD (they won't affect the Radeon's output) and you should be good to go.

Andy.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€I have a Radeon 9800 Pro that looks great when surfing the web etc etc. “

Did you make any adjustments to your display (TV?) to get the desktop to look good?

â€All the other devices I have give the TV the same "Type" of "Picture" signal but the MYHD card plays around with what it gets and throws off the calibration on my TV.â€

All the input devices you listed output at NTSC levels that have a different black level than ATSC.

â€Its not like I can throw a DVE disc into the PC and calibrate the output of the card. (Or Can I?)â€

Actually you can, but I would recommend that you use this HDTV transport stream test file that has a PLUGE pattern to set the contrast and brightness on MyHD. You can use the 75% color bars to adjust saturation.

www.nabs.net/cwatson53/barsref1.zip

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DoyleS
You didn't say how you were connected to your TV. Is the MYHD card outputting HD via Component? Are your other boxes all going in on S-Video? What does MYHD look like if you run it into a computer monitor with the RGBHV (VGA) connection. It is always possible there is a problem with your card. The guys at Digital Connection are pretty good at helping resolve problems but you might want to do a few what ifs with your system.

..Doyle
I am connected through DVI. I used a DVE disc to calibrate the TV with a DVI HD931 Samsung DVD Player. Everything else I hook up the TV looks fine. No S-Video.. A couple Component, Xbox Etc and they all look like they should.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyS
You might be getting the crush if you're running 1080i on the MyHD. Run at 720p and see if that helps.

The MyHD effectively contains its own standalone video card, so think of it as though your PC has two video cards in it - one that you can control from the OS (the Radeon) and the other that you control using the MyHD software.

Along with an onboard video-card (and the tuner, scaler etc.) the MyHD also has a video switch that switches the output between the two 'video cards'.

Hope that makes a little sense. As posted above, adjust the settings on your MyHD (they won't affect the Radeon's output) and you should be good to go.

Andy.
I currently have it set at 1920x1080i, If your saying that it can't do that well then I wasted my money. I bought this setup cause I was under the impression It would provide the best PQ I could get, better than a STB. I don't know what would make it crush at 1080i? Its in an AMD XP3200 with a Gig of Ram.

I Understand how the passthrough works and the Radeon card works fine, my desktop and any games I have tried look fine. Its the MYHD Card that throws all the levels off for some reason. :mad:

Its not unwatchable but I can tell that its NOT adjusted correctly. Watching the Patriots game in HD on Sunday all the commentators suits looked all crushed, the field looked bright and I fought with the contrast and brightness for 2 hours but I am not good enough to "Eye" it. I need some kind of reference point.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
â€I have a Radeon 9800 Pro that looks great when surfing the web etc etc. “

Did you make any adjustments to your display (TV?) to get the desktop to look good?

â€All the other devices I have give the TV the same "Type" of "Picture" signal but the MYHD card plays around with what it gets and throws off the calibration on my TV.â€

All the input devices you listed output at NTSC levels that have a different black level than ATSC.

â€Its not like I can throw a DVE disc into the PC and calibrate the output of the card. (Or Can I?)â€

Actually you can, but I would recommend that you use this HDTV transport stream test file that has a PLUGE pattern to set the contrast and brightness on MyHD. You can use the 75% color bars to adjust saturation.

www.nabs.net/cwatson53/barsref1.zip
Ahhh ok making sense....

I'll try that test file and see if I can adjust it out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Since the title of this thread better describes my feelings, I'm putting this here rather than the 120 support thread. I can not get the MyHD app to run without blowing up during recording. It's not the card (I had the same problem with my 100 card in this machine and the 120 card worked fine in my HTPC). It's a Dell Precision 350 with XP. Today I even pulled my DV500 capture card and replaced my video card with a Radeon 7500 I had lying around. Updated those drivers to the latest (1/19/2004). I can make the software blow up (stop responding and generating a MS report) simply by hitting record and then right clicking on the overlay screen (which should bring up the config options). It will stop responding every time. I even swapped around the system memory (bottom 1/2 gig with top 1/2 gig). Is the info in the report useful? If so, I'll post it. Help please as I'm leaving Feb 1st for a week of and want reliable recordings

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
sdf777. Take a look at your IRQs. Right clicking the mouse should generate an IRQ request. If myHD is on the same IRQ, that might be the conflict.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I'm using the latest from just before Christmas. Also, the problem is not related to moving the card into another slot or reloading the app or driver. I can right click the osd (not during record) and the config panel comes up)

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sdf777
I'm using the latest from just before Christmas. Also, the problem is not related to moving the card into another slot or reloading the app or driver. I can right click the osd (not during record) and the config panel comes up)
Steve,

Don't you mean right clicking on the overlay?

That app crash has been fixed in the beta2 software that is currently being tested.

There are several more app crashes that must be fixed before an official release.

The hung-app issue and system lockup playing DVD has also been fixed.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Yes, I do mean right clicking the overlay during record mode. Is this a known bug and is it related to the scheduled recording issue? The main problem is with a scheduled recording. About 20 minutes in the overlay is still working, but if you go to use the app (or wait until after the record time) you get the not responding message and the file has not been written. PM me if you want me to try your beta2. Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
That app crash has been fixed in the beta2 software that is currently being tested.
Cliff,

Is the beta2 software different than the beta that was released right before Christmas? If so, who's testing it, I haven't seen a post asking for testers like you did before?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.