AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. I would like to thank any of you that can answer this seemingly simple question.

I have the new Canon FS-11 that so far is as functional as advertised. However, when I connect the USB and power cord to download my video or images to my computor, I get a message on the LCD screen that says " do not dis-connect these cables while data transfer is in progress. Or something to that effect. I understand why. The problem is, there is no message saying it's oK to dis-connect these cables, the unit just sits there with the message displayed on the LCD.

What's up with this. I don't think I'm even supposed to turn the function dial during downloads.

Is there a button or setting that I'm missing? There is no eject button like an Ipod. There is nothing in the manual that tells you how to reset the damn thing.ut plenty of warnings not to dis-connect the USB or power cables.

I'm afraid to just unplug the cables. This is insane!

HELP!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Most cams are like that. The exact message of course is not the same. Some cams simply say "CONNECTED".

The message is not telling you that a file transfer is actually taking place at that moment. It is simply telling you not to disconnect WHILE you are transferring files.

Windows will tell you what is being transferred and when it is finished.

My personal advice... you should be using the Windows "safely remove hardware" button anyway when you disconnect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My default is PIXELA Image Mixer 3SE which is the bundled software that came with the unit. It's seems to pretty easy to navigate but it doesn't have the "safe" button like Windows does. Can I just open up Window media player and do it that way?

thanks Barney

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram40ut /forum/post/14272159

My default is PIXELA Image Mixer 3SE which is the bundled software that came with the unit. It's seems to pretty easy to navigate but it doesn't have the "safe" button like Windows does. Can I just open up Window media player and do it that way?

thanks Barney

This is done from windows , not the cam.

But if you REALLY want to be safe, shut down the computer and the cam before you disconnect. This isn't really so crucial with USB... it's pretty bullet proof. But with fire wire I have heard (and personally experienced) camera damage due to hot plugging/unplugging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts