AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 722k that i just purchased the OTA module for. im on my 2nd module because for some reason, i am unable to record 2 OTA channels or record 1 and watch 1. i have went thru the setup and added the local OTA channels. i can then go to the guide, select one of the OTA channels, begin recording it, go back to the guide, select another OTA channel and it says that i have to end the recording of the other OTA channel before i can tune this channel in (paraphrase). 722k is running dual mode. i called dish and they said that i probably had a bad module on my 1st one, i just installed the 2nd module and it does the same thing...i cannot record one and watch another or record 2 OTA channels thru the module.

is this a normal issue? is there a setup setting that i have not thought of? is the 722k defective?

any help would be great

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have a 722K also, and am frustrated with the OTA Module also.

I went thru 3 different antennas, each one more powerful than the next, in many different locations, with different RG-6 cables.

It seems that I can watch TV on the OTA module just fine, but when I record, either OTA or SAT, I get dropouts on the OTA or it just says "SIGNAL LOST" or similar.

The thing that convinced me that it is a 722k problem, and not an antenna or location problem, was after I assembled (and I went overkill on assembling the antenna, making sure that I got the maxium connectivity) my Antennas Direct DB8, and mounted it on a 30 foot pole outside my house, and spent days turning the antenna just a pinch, then checking the signal strength, I helped a friend hook up a new LCD FP TV, and she lives like 10 miles further away from the antennas, and I hooked up a 6 dollar pair of rabit ears to her tv, and she got perfect reception of EVERY CHANNEL.

A lot of people have problems with the 722k and the OTA module.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is unfortunate. i am curious, can you record one and watch one OTA tuner?

·
Registered
10,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranium /forum/post/18132007

... can you record one and watch one OTA tuner?

@cranium,

I can do that with our 722k + OTA.

@buddtx,

The 722 OTA module is splitting the OTA signal to two tuners, so the signal may need to be stronger than if it was only going to a TV tuner. Also, your DB8 is designed as a UHF antenna. It is often doesn't work well if you have VHF channels.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
with the 2nd module not working (and the chances that i have received 2 modules not functioning relitively slim) is there a chance that the 722k is to blame?

thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Let me throw this out there and hopefully Arxaw confirm. I do not have a 722K, but I researched it extensively a year ago.

The way I understand the 722K works is TV1 and TV2 each gets one satellite tuner and one OTA tuner. So in order to record one OTA and watch another at the same time you would need to start a recording on TV2, then watch the other channel on TV1 or vice-versa.

Or enter the menu page and go to “preferences” then “record plus”. Then “enable” it and set the preference to TV2. Then anytime you set up a recording it will automatically go to TV2 and you can still watch any other channel on TV1.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.