AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in the Tribune today that the proposed Fry's for DG is breaking ground. It will be located on Finley road just south of Butterfield rd in DG. They have already started tearing down the old Auto Nation building. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about Fry's? I am looking forward to having another HDTV store in the area. The store is scheduled to be open by the end of the year.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I used to buy from a Fry's in California.

Everyweek their friday newspaper adds would have some really great deals.

I bought a $99 Hard Drive from them. It is the only HD that I have bought that has broken.

I bought two 32MB EDO RAM Simms from. They are the only RAM Simms that I have bought that have broken.

Be careful getting the cheap items from them. They definately scrape the bottom of the barrel to get the lowest prices.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Very cool!

Fry's is a must stop whenever I visit my brother-in-law in Phoenix

Ever since Elek-Tek went out of business, there really hasn't been a good Computer Superstore in the Chicago area (Microcenter is the closest I've found, but their prices are a tad steep).

This should be a big plus for the Home Theatre crowd too, as they have a great selection of 19" rack stuff, networking cabling, jacks and electronic parts...

·
Registered
729 Posts
I was having lunch with my sister-in-law at Quizno's in Westmont just now (she's visiting from Texas) and I pointed out MicroCenter on Ogden. She replied with a long story about how great the Fry's in Austin is.

So I swung over to Belmont and looked at the old AutoNation. If Fry's is as cool as she said it was, then it should be fun to go there, and apparently the selection of different stuff is pretty first-rate.

I'm looking forward to it -- thanks for the tip, Kipp.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Burgess
I was having lunch with my sister-in-law at Quizno's in Westmont just now (she's visiting from Texas) and I pointed out MicroCenter on Ogden. She replied with a long story about how great the Fry's in Austin is.

Ummm...Quiznos and HDTV. Two of my favorite things, Eating and TV!!

That old Auto Nation building was huge. How big is a Fry's store? If it is simillar in size we could spend an entire day in it! Later.

·
Registered
203 Posts
There is a Fry's Electronics about 1 mile from where I work in Phoenix. Protect you wallet now before it is too late.;)

On the informational side, I have bought 2 sets of motherboard/processor/DRAM combinations at Fry's. In fact, my HTPC is one I bought a couple of weeks ago 2 Ghz Celeron w/MOBO for $99. I've had no problems. Also have bought video cards, wireless router, CD/RW DVD's all no problems. Didn't buy any AV equipment there tho. I did look at it quite a bit when I was in the market for a HDTV. Great place to go for lunch. They even have food.

JG

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have been to the Fry's in Phoenix and the one in Santa Clara, Cal.

Like you said, better protect your wallet if this Fry's is anything like what was out west. Frankly I think this is awesome news!

The first time you go you should probably leave your wallet at home. It could be a very expensive first trip.

Just as a reference. When I went to the Fry's in Phoenix in the summer of '98 they had HDTV's all over the darn place. This was before even Douglas (now Tweeter) had them and Douglas had them way before BB or CC. They were selling everything from $4000 digital O-scopes to Computers to HDTV's to Washing Machines to Software to groceries to electronics parts to ???. They had everything.

Any word on the opening day?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Fry's is the absolute worst electronics store I've ever been to in my life.

Fry's is the absolute best electronics stors I've ever been to in my life, too.

They have the dumbest, most worthless salespeople you can imagine. Sometime, it looks like the stores are stocked by the same people who work in K-Mart. Often, returned products are on the shelves having been certified for resale, but missing key parts.

But, they have a lot of things at good prices, often good enough you don't need to go to mailorder sources. And, they allow you to return nearly everything within 30 days without restocking fees. The lines to do so are interminable, but the policy takes a lot of risk out of shopping there.

Mark

·
Registered
729 Posts
Chris, I'm sorry to say, you're out of luck. It's in a very suburban and non-pedestrian-friendly place, on Finley just south of Butterfield.

Sometimes there are cabs waiting at the DG Main St Metra station. I don't think Pace goes along Finley, so a bus connection won't work for you.

After it opens, PM me and I'd be happy to pick you up at the Metra station and take you there some Saturday or Sunday this summer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Indeed this is good news. Shopping at Fry's is one of the things that I miss since leaving California.

Like the others have said, watch your wallet. It is way to easy to blow a lot of money at one of these stores.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Fry's apparently has several new stores in the works near term. I just visited their Las Vegas store and they told me a new one would be opening soon in the Seattle area (Renton, to be exact).

I ended up buying 2 computers there (one for me to drag home and one for my son who lives in Las Vegas). They were eMac factory refurbs for $699 each (CD-ROM only and without internal modem). The next day they advertised instant $100 rebates on the same machines (making the price $599) and they refunded us $100 each without hassle.

Unforutnately, they sold us incompatible RAM (512 MB) so we had to take the machines back and force them to install and test other RAM choices for compatibility, which they did willingly, but VERY SLOWLY! In the end, they installed and tested the new RAM on one machine and we did the other one later. The RAM price difference was $40 each, and they gave us $10 off for each.

The service tech was great. The actual RAM install and test took less than 5 minutes. The paperwork and approvals for him to get that RAM took nearly 2 hours, even though he knew exactly what he needed to solve our problem.

I agree that the sales folks I talked to (in PCs and home theater) knew far less than I think they should have. We actually found products they claimed they did not have.

The Las Vegas store is big, probably more than twice the floorspace of an average BB or CC around here in Seattle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Heard about the Fry's being located where the old Auto Nation was located in DG.(Right off of I-355) How are they on HDTV"s and electronics? I bought my HDTV from Abt in Glenview and recieved a great deal. How do they measure up with them?

·
Premium Member
11,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Burgess

So I swung over to Belmont and looked at the old AutoNation. If Fry's is as cool as she said it was, then it should be fun to go there, and apparently the selection of different stuff is pretty first-rate.

I'm looking forward to it -- thanks for the tip, Kipp.
Dan,

just to let you know, the village required them to meet some substantial goals towards our tax base here in DG. This is good for us locals.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Clifton B.
Heard about the Fry's being located where the old Auto Nation was located in DG.(Right off of I-355) How are they on HDTV"s and electronics? I bought my HDTV from Abt in Glenview and received a great deal. How do they measure up with them?
I have been to the Fry's in San Diego a few times. The product lines they carry are in between Circuit City and Tweeter. They will not come close to ABT for selection and price. They will give Comp USA and Radio Shack a run for the money though. Its a huge store with just about everything a guy could want.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tjhanks for the info. My next purchase is a computer to play my games EXCLUSIVLY. (Im giving my wife our other computer to keep from hearing he nag about me taking too much of her time on the computer playing my games.) If they are as good as you say they are, I might check them out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Rogo is right. The sales people do more harm than good. If you just need to know what isle something is in, you're ok. If you want info on products, look elsewhere. I spent much time when looking at plasmas undoing the damage done by sales people when I was in the store explaining things to my wife and having passers by commenting on the sales people being 180° opposite in their information.

The return policies do rock though. Yeah they stock returned items on the shelf, and frequently the displays look like crap, but that's the price of saving some dough and having selection vs. BB and CC. Plus they usually have a littany of product lines, and even more often some old discontinued products in the back of the store hidden somewhere.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.