AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I have a pair JTR Noesis 212HTs for sale. I had them for a year, they are in excellent condition and I am the original owner. I just boxed them up in their original packaging since I am moving soon and unfortunately I cannot bring them to my new place. I figure I sell them and allow someone else to enjoy these fine speakers! Pricing is as follows and will include shipping (CONUS) and Paypal:

212s: SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
228s: SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If interested, please send me a PM. Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,078 Posts
@dimd75,

This is not the 2015 model (current). The 2015 model has wooden horns, these have aluminum. I wouldn't sweat that though if I was in the market. Jeff of JTR speakers could probably build you the previous model with the aluminum horn to match the set.

These speakers sound awesome, in this version! The 212HT, sold here, is my favorite speaker I've ever heard for music, (with a proper sub), and the 228HT is indistinguishable (to my ears) for movie use, but lacks some of the big soundstage of the 212HT to my ears for music listening. This would be a fantastic 5.0 setup. -- Or buy one more 228HT for four 228HT surrounds, and one more 212HT for a matching center channel and you've got a 7.0 system, that when matched with a couple great subs is nothing short of spectacular!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi dimd75,

I just sent you a PM then I realized that Asoofi and Archaea were gracious enough to answer your questions very quickly. Thank you both by the way!

·
Registered
112 Posts
@dimd75,

This is not the 2015 model (current). The 2015 model has wooden horns, these have aluminum. I wouldn't sweat that though if I was in the market. Jeff of JTR speakers could probably build you the previous model with the aluminum horn to match the set.
Is there a noticeable sound difference between the wood and aluminium horn? Or is there a change in crossovers too? Sorry, to post in a sale thread, but lately i've been developing an interest in JTR speakers.

·
Registered
12,078 Posts
I've not heard the 212HT with the wooden horn.

@carp has the 215HT with wooden horn from the 212HT with aluminum horn. It's a totally different speaker --- but perhaps he can comment on it some.

To me wood or aluminum horn has zero bearing on whether I would make the purchase or not.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
I'm interested in buying (1) 212HT. Are you willing to split them up?

If not is someone else interested in only one of them?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm interested in buying (1) 212HT. Are you willing to split them up?

If not is someone else interested in only one of them?
Hello. I would be willing to split them if someone else is interested in the other. Otherwise I am sorry.

·
Premium Member
14,848 Posts
Is there a noticeable sound difference between the wood and aluminium horn? Or is there a change in crossovers too? Sorry, to post in a sale thread, but lately i've been developing an interest in JTR speakers.
As Arch said, the difference in material is not what the difference is, but I do believe the wood is 60 degree dispersion vertical and horizontal, and the metal is 90x60 IIRC. Other than that, Jeff refined the XO very slightly, but the audibility of this I am is minimal.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
The metal horn in the pre-2015 212HTs is the 18 Sound XR1464. It is a 60x40 aluminum horn. Details here.

I believe the new wood one in the 212HT is 60x60. I also think the wood horn in the 215 series is different than the new wood horn in the 212.

The larger cabinet of the 215 would allow a larger horn that holds pattern lower than the 212 with the smaller cabinet. However I can't seem to find any details to link to at the moment so take all this with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Fixed horn. XR1464.

·
Premium Member
14,848 Posts
The metal horn in the pre-2015 212HTs is the 18 Sound XR1496. It is a 60x40 aluminum horn. Details here.

I believe the new wood one in the 212HT is 60x60. I also think the wood horn in the 215 series is different than the new wood horn in the 212.

The larger cabinet of the 215 would allow a larger horn that holds pattern lower than the 212 with the smaller cabinet. However I can't seem to find any details to link to at the moment so take all this with a grain of salt.
That would be 90x60 according to their site :D

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,633 Posts
Here's a comparison I did of the sealed 2014 212HT-LP, 215RM, and Cat12 at Coach's house. To us, there was quite a difference in the upper end sound of the 212 vs 215. I preferred the upper end sound of the 212 over the 215 but the lower end grunt of the 215. The detail was there for both but the 215 seemed more laid back to me. How much was the wood vs aluminum, smooth (alum) vs rougher horn finish, crossover, etc, I don't know. With the detail there for both, I could live with either but having heard my aluminum horn 212, I did prefer it over the wood 215. I could easily live with the 215RM though and other than it being a huge speaker, is my favorite speaker in the JTR lineup since I will always have a potent sub system. But I've heard the 212 in multiple rooms now and it is continually reinforced how much I like the midrange and upper end of the 212 (alum horn). I haven't heard the wood horn 212 so can't comment on that. Good luck with the sale.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's a comparison I did of the sealed 2014 212HT-LP, 215RM, and Cat12 at Coach's house. To us, there was quite a difference in the upper end sound of the 212 vs 215. I preferred the upper end sound of the 212 over the 215 but the lower end grunt of the 215. The detail was there for both but the 215 seemed more laid back to me. How much was the wood vs aluminum, smooth (alum) vs rougher horn finish, crossover, etc, I don't know. With the detail there for both, I could live with either but having heard my aluminum horn 212, I did prefer it over the wood 215. I could easily live with the 215RM though and other than it being a huge speaker, is my favorite speaker in the JTR lineup since I will always have a potent sub system. But I've heard the 212 in multiple rooms now and it is continually reinforced how much I like the midrange and upper end of the 212 (alum horn). I haven't heard the wood horn 212 so can't comment on that. Good luck with the sale.

Thanks for sharing! I would like to listen to a pair of 215s and Cat12s. From what I have read, owner's of these speakers are very pleased with them. I am sure both sets live up to their hype!

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,633 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I would like to listen to a pair of 215s and Cat12s. From what I have read, owner's of these speakers are very pleased with them. I am sure both sets live up to their hype!
And I really like my 212s although I wish I would have purchased the ported instead. All 3 speakers are very good...and the 228s as well although I haven't heard them personally. We're talking some very nice, incredibly capable speakers...I could be happy with any one of them...my wallet on the other hand...:).

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'm seriously considering JTR speakers, but am on the fence regarding 212's vs. 228's. I posted in the JTR thread about my situation and haven't yet gotten any responses, but maybe you can offer some insights as to the difference between the two speakers. I'd love to make you an offer, but first I need to know what I want :D

Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm seriously considering JTR speakers, but am on the fence regarding 212's vs. 228's. I posted in the JTR thread about my situation and haven't yet gotten any responses, but maybe you can offer some insights as to the difference between the two speakers. I'd love to make you an offer, but first I need to know what I want :D

Thanks
Hello there. To me, the difference between the two are most noticeable when listening to music where the 212s are better. For movies they are so close with the 212s providing that little extra something over the 228s but again its so close. If you listen to music more than watch movies I would go for the 212s and if other way around I would go with the 228s. I used the 228s for LCR at first then made the mistake of reading the JTR thread :) and read about the 212s so I bought them for LR for music. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts