AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I think your price may be a bit high. If you look at the decending trend shown in the Audiogon blue book -- there aren't many data points -- the most recent point is about $1K. I have a beautiful pair in rosewood that I paid a bit less than $1K for several years ago, but that was without a KUBE (KEF spelling), so you might add a couple of hundred. They are magnificent speakers. Good luck.

db

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I'm not sure if it's an affinity between the Parasound JC 2 BP preamp and JC 1 amps, but since I introduced a pair of the JC 1 amps the KEF 107/2s sing in a way they never did with the Proceed HPA 3. Organ pedal notes pour out with an authority new to me. The HPA 3 is three monoblock Levingston amps each rated at 500 watts into 4Ωs; the JC 1 amps are monoblocks rated at 800 watts into 4Ωs, but a single JC 1 is the same size as the three amp HPA 3. I suspect the difference may be current delivery. With the low bias setting I use, the amps run class A to 10 watts -- 25 watts with high bias, but they do get hot. In any case, even though the 107/2s are rated as having a sensitivity of 90 dB, my experience suggests they sound best with powerful amps. Driven with the JC 1 amps, the 107/2s reproduce a wide frequency range with great authority and transparency.

db

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure if it's an affinity between the Parasound JC 2 BP preamp and JC 1 amps, but since I introduced a pair of the JC 1 amps the KEF 107/2s sing in a way they never did with the Proceed HPA 3. Organ pedal notes pour out with an authority new to me. The HPA 3 is three monoblock Levingston amps each rated at 500 watts into 4Ωs; the JC 1 amps are monoblocks rated at 800 watts into 4Ωs, but a single JC 1 is the same size as the three amp HPA 3. I suspect the difference may be current delivery. With the low bias setting I use, the amps run class A to 10 watts -- 25 watts with high bias, but they do get hot. In any case, even though the 107/2s are rated as having a sensitivity of 90 dB, my experience suggests they sound best with powerful amps. Driven with the JC 1 amps, the 107/2s reproduce a wide frequency range with great authority and transparency.

db
The JC1 Amps are killer. Kef used the Parasound mono-blocks to power their Blades speakers and all that you noted here is a "ditto" Really impressive amps and speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts