Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Girlfriend forces sale!

The 9 PG Plus is a full digital setup unit with the point convergence board.

4520 hours on the original tubes and chassis. I purchased this projector from AVS member Drew Packard and have probably only put 500 hours on it since buying it from him. It works great and throws a very filmlike picture.

I will also include at no additional charge a AV Toolbox AVT-3343 component to VGA Converter, a JVC XV-D723 DVD Audio / progressive scan player and a Precision video RBG to RGBHV cable that is about 15-20'

$1200

I am moving and will most likely be purchasing a BenQ 7700 and Oppo DVD player with HDMI output.

thanks,

-Reinyn

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi Megaflop,

I know this is not the right place to ask this but I have actually been considering buying a crt projector not unlike the one your selling and have also considered the optoma H77 as an alternative. It seems that crt's are a bit more complicated than I thought and the H77 might be a better option. H77 is not cheap but it's still within my price range if I shop around.

If it's not too much trouble could you give a short review comparing these two machines (H77 vs Nec 9pg crt). Thanks.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
If you're more concerned about ease of setup - the digital is the clear winner.

If you're more concerned about price...the crt is the clear winner.

If you're more concerned about absolute pic quality...a 9PG Plus and a 77 are on par IMHO.

Ben

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I just set up the H77 and here are my initial feelings compared to the NEC. (Picture via HTPC DVI)

H77 pros.

Much easier setup.

No CRT burn in (video games and static pictures are ok)

As sharp as the NEC (no convergence to tweak)

noticeably brighter picture (absolute light control is not necessary)

Contrast seems as good as the NEC in bright scenes (this might be because the H77 brings the ambient light level up more in bright scenes)

Cons.

Black level is clearly not as good. The H77 has the digital grey look on dark material. The NEC is BLACK.

The NEC colors seem more vivid and are better saturated, maybe I can tweak the H77 here so it is on par.

The contrast on dark material is better with the NEC

I have noticed more fatigue watching the H77 picture, not a headache, but a feeling of strain that I never got with the NEC.

So for convienience the H77 is the winner, but for absolute picture quality I think CRT is still the way to go. However I am happy so far with the H77.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I read that the H77 performs considerably better on a grey screen over white. This might make the blacks look blacker but with some loss of brightness and maybe improve colors. It's also possible that a grey screen might make it easier on the eyes, although this could be due to the single chip dlp. My experience is that a grey screen works better with digital projectors over white and it's easier on the eyes. The guys/experts on digital projectors above $3500 who own the H77 know alot more about this. Just a thought. Thanks for the review. I'm know back on the fence but still leaning towards the easier setup of the H77.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi overclkr,

I would be happy to post tub pics, but I'm not exactly sure how to get at the tubes. Drew Packard did the initial setup of the projector and I haven't had to get into it beyond tweaking the convergence since then.

If you would describe the procedure to get the color filters and lenses off then I would take some high res pics.

thanks,

-Reinyn

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I still have the 9PG+ and I am willing to sell it, the Component to VGA converter and the VGA to RGBHV cable for $825 SHIPPED. This projector works great and I only have put

I would also consider a trade for a LCD/DLP projector or Canon EOS Lens(es)?

·
Registered
854 Posts
You usually don't need to take the color filters and lenses off. Try some shots of each tube face as it is. The burn/wear can usually be seen through the color filters and lenses. You're going to have to post tube pics before any normal person will buy

·
Registered
854 Posts
You need to not use the flash and take pictures in low lighting or else the results are scewed. We can't see anything from those pictures.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm still having trouble with the pics. I can look inside with a flashlight and I did not see any wear on the blue tube, for what it is worth. I will keep trying.

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
Megaflop,

Taking the lenses off is easy. You have to first take off the lens cover. Then when you look at the lenses, you will see that they are held on by four bolts around the outside. Remove them and the lenses will come off and you will be looking at the tube face. Take pic and your done. It should take no more than thirty minutes.

Eric

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
You need a LONG Philips screw driver. At least 12". #1 or 2. Sears has 'em. I think their's is 18".

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
So, how much impact has the lack of photos had on the price of this unit? Anyone? Say it had 9+ tubes and was clearly shown I think this would have been sold by now.

Without pic's -50% in my mind

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.