AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We want to create a row behind our existing seating as a bar area with bar stools vs another row of seating (and attendant riser). In order to do that I need to move the existing row forward a bit to make room for the bar and seating. If I do that the in-room Plats will be far too close to anyone other than the MLP. Therefore, I want to replace my in-room Plats with on-wall Plats (assuming I can get a fair price for my existing speakers)

I have the wooden shipping crates for the 3 speakers but will have to create something for the stands. These are Triad stands which are currently filled with 100 pounds of sand each.to add stability.

The speakers are about 5 years old, in perfect operational condition and almost perfect cosmetic condition. One of the grill frames has a broken piece of plastic that inserts into the speaker but it will works fine. They are finished in black (see photo). The center speakers (which is just like the L&R) has been inside of an enclosure behind the screen for the 5 years I have owned it.

Given the weight (with wooden shipping crates) I would prefer to meet someone half way and hand deliver them. I would be willing to drive about 5 or so hours to do so.

The MSRP of the three Triad Platinum speakers is $22,500 and I think the stands were about $500. I am asking $10,500 PLUS SHIPPING (unless hand delivered). I am about 80 miles east of Atlanta, GA.

NOTE: These will be available for shipping 2 to 4 weeks after selling as I will need to at least get the replacements on order and the building of them started prior to shipping these.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Can the speaker be placed horizontally like a traditional center? If so, whats the “height” then of the speaker?

(i tried going to the triad website but couldn’t find specs)

·
Premium Member
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Ideally" not the best solution given the tweeter dispersion lens. But since the drivers are in the MTM configuration, while it may not be perfect, it may be more than OK. In a few moments, I will take measurements of one of the speakers at the MLP, off center horizontally from the MLP and the same off center vertically from the MLP. It won't be a perfect conparison since when I go off center vertically, I will be closer to a boundry surface (either the floor or ceiling) which will affect the results. I am guessing, given it is the center channel, it will be OK but let me check and I will post my measurements.

Summary: This speaker can clearly serve duty laid on its side as a center channel speaker.

In the plot below, the Black line measures my center channel at the MLP. The Red line measures about 3 feet directly above the MLP - which when rotated 90 degree to lay on its side would be to the left or right of the MLP. And the Blue line is about 45 inches to the left of the MLP - slightly further than anyone actually sits.

The dimensions of the speaker (when in its normal "upright position") are 12" Wide and 39.5" Tall. So if on its side, it would be 12" Tall and 39.5" Wide.

I must confess, I was expecting a slight "droop" in the mid/high frequency response when measured that far above the speaker, but good to know it can work on it's side -but I would recommend some kind of way to angle it toward the ears of the listener.

Hope this helps!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts