·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ftlee
I have three words for you: Oh My God! :D

More Later,

-ftlee
Okay, now, hurry, hurry, hurry and tell us why I should swap my 50" GW II for this 61" Samsung (not much bigger cabinetwise, I assume). My 30 days is up in a week..... :D

Samsung 61" Monitor dimensions:

56-1/2in (W) x 40-1/4" (H) x 19-7/16in (D)

Sony 50" GWII:

54-1/4in (W) x 37-3/4in (H)

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Why should you swap? Well, is your GW II Whisper approved?

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/data/506/1samsung.jpg

Here is a shot of the 61" Samsung in our family room that I am testing. Whisper was looking at that HD Demo for 30 mins! It was so funny! (Whiper, for thouse who know, is still living with us and still thanks you for your help in his rescue. He is the AVS Forum mascot.) (Sorry about the flash in the screen.)

More to come on the set later...But I echo's Franks WOW. But I am sorry to say it has the same user issues as the smaller ones with items like input selection and wide mode. Not the most user friendly way of doing things that is for sure. But the image, even out of the box, was very nice to see and better then I had expected. (Note...I am a Sony 57" XBR2 user.)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hmmm!!!

I guess Patience is a virtue...

I am going to go eat some chocalate chip cookies!

But before I do, here is a tip!

Don't loan anything to anyone.

I lent my brother "We were Soldiers" and for some reason he goes on a one mile walk with the DVD in his hand; however, he failed to secure it to the DVD tab, and you can imagine the scars my DVD has now...

Where is the review.... I am depressed now!!!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wegafan,

A full review will be coming tomorrow. The wife and I are going to sit down and watch a movie on it. I would not be depressed, while I have not seen the GWII, I am sure you have a great set.

-ftlee

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Just be glad he didn't go walking with an $89.99 copy/set of BAND OF BROTHERS.

Scratches are usually non issues. There are even ways/kits/pastes to smooth them out, if they cause skips.

And, if you're like here, there a plenty of stores selling used DVDs for $15 or less....... I've bought probably 200 used DVDs, some with scratches, and have never had a problem, so you're probably okay.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Good point about the Band of Brothers!!!

Sounds good Ftlee, I was just kidding about the depression, although I don't have the GWII ?yet? :-( I am watching a 32" wega... Oh No... I am depressed again... after sitting through the Holyfield-Byrd fight on HBO on the 32".... :->

As far as TVs go, I can't decide what to buy, or if to wait. Too much pressure. After recent events with CC, I now will have to find another A/V store, so that put a bump in my tv purchasing road!!!

Sorry about my total offer topic posts, so in an effort to get back on topic, what movie/show/etc is David Bott and Whisper watching?

Later guys!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Costco Price club has Band Of Brothers for $73. But I also have sad story had bought " Black Hawk Down" could not wait to watch it when wife was not home so I could turn up Home theater sound system( could not watch it when she was home always get " TURN THAT DOWN WHY DO U HAVE TO HAVE IT SO LOUD") :( When I finally got a chance to watch dvd it was missing :( three weeks later I find out daughter had taken it over to boyfriends house the day they broke up :( He lived almost two hours away so I had to go buy another copy :(

·
Registered
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ftlee
I have three words for you: Oh My God! :D

More Later,

-ftlee
I'll have to second or third that. Watching HD and DVDs on the 617 is absolutely wonderful. Now if we could convince Samsung to give us some discreet codes and RS232 control...

Also, I emailed Samsung to ask about the discreet and Rs232 issues from the their website. The email bounced back as undeliverable.

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.
Delivery to the following recipients failed.
[email protected]

The worst part is it is a form you fill out on their site with model number, serial number, etc. and it Still can't get sent. Pretty bad IMO.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ted08721
. . . later I find out daughter had taken it over to boyfriends house the day they broke up :( He lived almost two hours away so I had to go buy another copy :(
so the bf breaks up w/ her, AND he gets a free dvd?! somehow that doesn't seem fair.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Frank,

Glad you got your new set. Thanks again for all the help with our project, I couldn't be happier.

Ok, one question, what the deal with Samsung screen sizes of 43, 50, and 61 inches. Are they trying to out do Sony (the main competitor vs their DLP sets) with Sony's 42, 50, and 60 inch Grand Wegas?? Just curious about the odd screen sizes.

When I get to MD one day, I would love to see that set. Have a great holiday and enjoy your present.

Mark

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
read in another thread that ftlee has been busy. Looking forward to the review.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm confused... does ftlee presently own both the 507 and the 617?

One thing missing in this forum is that people don't post in their sig what equipment they own. It would be helpful to know where each member is coming from. Is there a particular reason (anonymity for theft purposes)... just curious.

DkR

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.