AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in BJ's today and saw that they had Fuji 8X DVD-R's (made in Japan) at $40.00 for 50 discs. Everyone has been saying that the "made in Japan" discs are always better than "made in Taiwan". BestBuy seems to have the Fuji "Taiwan" discs which seem to be the way of the future. So it looks like I've stumbled on something good at BJ's.

But the discs have a warning which states that these 8X speed discs may damage DVD players or recorders. Anyone experience this?

· Registered
1,172 Posts
The only drives I've ever heard of possibly being damaged were the old Pioneer A03/A04 and units based on those. They needed a firmware update. I think most other drives should be fine.

My limited experience with TY 8X DVD-Rs (Fuji Made in Japan) has been excellent....

· Registered
948 Posts
The warning pertains to an older drive. Here's my experience with RW discs. Not sure if it pertains to your situation.

Have a Sony DF burner in my PC. Rated 2X for -R/RW and 4X for +R/RW. Also have the Sharp DV HR 300U standalone(2X). Picked up Ritek 4X-RW for 60 cents each. Half the price I had been seeing for -RW(paid $4.00 a year ago). Both machines ejected the disc as not recognizable or 'non standard disc. The explanation was that the dash or minus consortium(airheads that make the rules) decided to change the write strategy(much to the pleasure of the + people) beginning with 4X discs for better compatibility with the newer and faster drives. They are listed as 'version 1.2' on the disc.

And, yes you can damage the optical pickup by clouding it if you continue to put these discs in the same as if you put in a damaged, scatched or dirty disc. The pickup struggles to read and format.

This situation happens with -RW discs. R discs may not be a problem. Also an older 2X burner will read a 4X RW disc burned in another machine.

Bottom line if you already bought them and your system won't recognize them you can either return them or save and use them when you have a faster burner.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Davis
Bottom line if you already bought them and your system won't recognize them you can either return them or save and use them when you have a faster burner.
Are you proposing getting me a faster burner for Christmas!!?? Why, I hardly know you!! But if you insist.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.