AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Fuj 42HH/30series last week. Won't have HD cable until March, but it still looks good. DVDs pretty good but not jaw droppers. Maybe HD.

The installer calibrated, but did not use a disc. Said he does enough of them such that it's close enough.

I bought the 49.99 Avia yesterday. Was not totally clear on the calib. instructions (white level = contrast, right?). The installer had the contrast and brightness at -7 for TV and for DVD, and most of the other settings at 0.

Anyone have experience with calib. on this set with the Avia? Any recommended settings?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Your settings will be different for composite vs. component, SD source vs. high def source and picture setting (dynamic or static or fine--your newer set may have slightly different terms). That is why Fujitsu gives you 8 different picture memory settings--so you can save then all. I would suggest you try Rich Harkness's "Steaming Rat" method of callibration to further tweak your Avia settings. There is a link in the Plasma FAQs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LindaT

I'm new to the forum (2 months), and read the FAQ thouroughly, and did not recall the link. I'll check it out. (I've been wondering about the "steaming rat" refs.)

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Believe I would check all my connections-DVD's should be better than pretty good. Rich Harkness also had a thread a while back for the general setup and what to look for, really good information. Can't remember what it was called but do a search. I'll bet you get the picture you are expecting.

·
Registered
15,466 Posts
Look in the Plasma FAQ for links to my "Steaming Rat" and "Polishing Turd" methods.

MMMmmmm...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have had that same set since late December, and find that calibration will vary depending on the input and the source. Even then, I will change settings depending on the show itself. For example, my TiVo uses the S Video input, and different shows look better with different settings, even though they are coming from the same signal source. I have set up the 8 memories from lighter to darker and just cycle through them and pick the one that looks the best at the moment. I'm sure there's a better way, but that will do for now while I work on other things.

I also find that some DVDs look like HD, and some don't look so hot at all. I'm no expert, but I think that the definition on different DVD varies considerably.

When you get the HD cable in March, be sure to be wearing old clothes, because you will fudge your shorts. Football in HD is good beyond your wildest expectations, and Discovery HD shows wonderful travel shows all day long. This is very impressive for when the neighbors drop by.

They could have a paint-drying channel in HD and it would get a lot of viewers.

Calibration is a never-ending quest, a goal always just beyond your grasp. You'll get used to it.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R Harkness
Look in the Plasma FAQ for links to my "Steaming Rat" and "Polishing Turd" methods.

MMMmmmm...
Pardon me if I don't step into the later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.