AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finished the installation of my new Fujitsu 42" HD 30 series set, and I have posted some photos in the gallery. I don't know how to insert a photo here, so I won't try, but I think the link to my gallery is:

Squidd99's Photos

If that does not work, you can find them at Squidd99 in the Photo Gallery.

I removed and sold my Sony 36" CRT and put in its place the 42" plasma. However, the set was 1/8" wider than the opening in the bookcase. Although not visible on the photo, we used a router to cut a "pocket" one-eighth of an inch deep in the left side of the cabinet for the frame of the plasma to fit into.

I added a rear light from Ideal Lume which lights up the space behind the set. I find that this is helpful, and I usually leave it on. Like the lights in the ceiling and all my components, it is controlled by an MX-700 remote. (One remote to control the world.)

All cables go out the back of the bookcase, and back into the right side, where the various component devices are stacked on their own shelves. Access to the rear is through cut-outs in the wall in the next room (half-bath) as shown on the photos. The cut-outs are hidden by hinged paintings and photos. This is not high-tech, but is great fun to show guests.

Signal sources include 2 Sony SA TiVos, two (little used) VCRs, one DVD, a PS2 and a TWC cable box, which is my only source of HD material. (Trees in the backyard prohibit the dish.) The receiver is a Sony 444ES, and for fun I added a Buttkicker, whcih is in the basement, screwed to the ceiling joists right in the center of the floor. It uses its own 1,000 watt amp, hideen behind the center speaker, and it shakes the room when the bus explodes in "Speed."

I have not seen in the gallery an installation into a bookcase setup like this, and it has worked so well for me that I thought I would post the pictures as they might give some of you, who have been so helpful to me on this board, some design ideas.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a heavy metal stand, although there is a plastic plate with a pebbled texture which slips into a frame at the bottom between the legs of the stand.

This is the Fujitsu stand, and most of its components will fit the other sizes, as there are extra bolt holes and markings on the rear indicating where parts go together for each size screen.

It's pretty expensive, as stands go, but my dealer threw it in for free, or almost for free, I forget, but as you can see, a wall mount was out of the question.

I'm glad you like it. At first, I wanted the screen flush with the front of the bookcase, but the stand will not allow that. Of course, I have come to like the shadowbox effect a lot, which is nice, because I have about two feet of empty space behind it to deal with.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very nice. I have been meaning to get pictures of my new p50-10 up (but I've been too busy watching it). It is in a custom-built bookshelf/wall unit that I designed so I could wall-mount it and end up with the picture flush with the front of the unit and not have the empty space. I promise to get them up soon to show how it looks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Prof Dave asks: "So, the toilet is behind the Fujitsu?"

Yes it is, professor, which is very convenient. If you drink enough beer, and your aim is good (which does not usualy happen at the same time) you don't even have to get up from the couch.

Any more potty questions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.