AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Fujitsu PDS4229E, using my Arcam DV88 dvd player connected via the component leads the picture quality is very good. But when viewing sky digital (in the UK) the PQ is not so good, large areas of the same colour are fuzzy, even the blue sky channel selector box is fuzzy.

I have a panasonic digibox, connected via a scart to composite lead to my Arcam AVR100, which is then switched to the plasma using s-video. I think this is the only option without buying new kit.. like an RGB to s-video converter or RGB to vga plasma converter. Would these improve the PQ, or am i looking in the wrong place? Would one of the grundig digiboxes with s-video out be better.

I am also considering upgrading the DV88 to progressive scan, does anyone have any opinions on progressive scan with a DV88 and PDS4229E? Would a seperate progressive scan box (iscan?) mean i could get better sky pictures too?

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you have any plans to upgrade to Sky+ your problems would be reduced since Sky+ has S-Video out.

If you switch to a Grundig box make sure it does have the S-Video out as Grundig added it to more recent production, but they didn't change the model number so you have to physically check this if it is not brand new.

Either of those routes would improve picture quality over the composite route you are using now.

The RGB to S-Video convertor would give the same improvement as the above, and I would hope that the RGB to VGA box would look at least as good if not better.

Mark

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've got several customers using the RGB to Plasma VGA unit with the 4229 and it's the one I'd recommend for your system. S-Video is still very good, but RGB to Plasma VGA would give you the best interface for your screen.

Using an I-Scan probably wouldn't help that much here as you've still got to supply it with a high quality signal. I-Scan has composite, S-Video and component video inputs, so you'd be looking to convert the RGB from Sky to component.

I'd say use the DV88 in via component, and Sky via the RGB to Plasma VGA unit. The VCR should go in via composite (video) input.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.
J.S. Technology

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John,

I have just seen a product by Keene called SyncBlaster which is just a scart to vga lead with some electronics in the scart casing. Do you know how this compares to your product? since it has the advantage of being a single lead with no power.

Martin

·
Registered
102 Posts
As those of you familiar with J.S. Technology products, you'll know we inovate, not imitate. We were the first to bring RGB to S-Video, and the first to solve the problem of connecting RGB to plasma screen with our RGB to Plasma VGA product.

Since we solved these problems, we tend to know more about why certain parts were selected and their performance in circuit.

Our RGB to Plasma Interface give you:

* Broadcast quality extraction to give a stable picture, far superior to consumer level sync extraction.

* True H-Sync output, not available from simple extractors.

* Macrovision removal to give the correct line frequency output using computer enhancement. Again simple extractors do not remove Macrovision and "stabilizers" only mask Macrovision making the problem worse.

* Noise rejection to ensure accurate detection.

* Integrated power supply - if you're going to do something worthwhile, you need power.

* Use your own cables - if you like SQUART (QED), IXOS or VDC, you can still use them with our product.

During the design process we evaluated simply sync extractors and found from our prototype feedback that Plasma Screen owners demanded better, and hence we move up to the RGB to Plasma VGA design. I believe that this is the best means to interface RGB to plasma screens.

When selecting your plasma screen interface, it may be worth asking about the above points.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.
J.S. Technology

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've lent the prototype to another person for his impression of the unit, and to get it tested out on more equipment than I have here (sorry, but I can't buy every bit of A/V equipment!).

During last week it was tested on a 46" Tosh rear projection TV and Goldfinger. Excellent film, and the picture quality through the unit was excellent. Previously, it was tested at another location with an I-Scan going to a projector, again excellent results.

Sorry for the delay, but we had lent the unit to another person and that held up the process somewhat. With my designs, I do like to try and get them to as many people as possible before commiting to production. And we've been busy building Plasma VGA units.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.
J.S. Technology.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.