AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a search for opinions on this unit, but it looks like there was only a flurry of speculative discussion a couple months ago, but little real-life feedback.

So, are there any thoughts on its quality? I've seen a unit here in Tokyo, and it looks stunning in an uncalibrated sort of way. It was near the 4224, which it clearly blew the socks off (albeit there were two different sources, so direct comparisons may be a bit unfair).

Price is Y750,000 (~USD6250), is that good?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor
For Japan, that price is pretty good (Japanese prices are quite high).

Rumor has it that Fujitsu went with Panasonic glass on the 4242. It has DVI input and is supposed to be quite excellent.

I don't think it's sold in the US yet.
Good guess, actually it's Fujitsu Glass with new AVM processor to boost briteness contrast and make motion smoother. Best 42 you'll see.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
I keep getting conflicting data on this particular plasma.

People on this board were swearing up and down it was using Panasonic glass to look that good (reports were phenomenal about it)...

Anyway, this sounds alot more plausable. Fujitsu didn't do that good with ALiS.

But a proper deinterlacer + a processor to correct gamma properly, could boost contrast significantly.

What's the contrast ratio on this unit, anyone?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Contrast is 500:1 and it's BRIGHT 750 cd/m2

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Note: Fujitsu's site identifies the 4242 as an ALiS plasma (1024x512). Panasonic is not manufacturing that sort of glass, to my knowledge, so I believe this is Fujitsu glass with new electronics.

Fujitsu does use Panasonic glass for their 5001/5002, however, as has been pointed out earlier. I've not seen the 4242, however.

What I do understand from some forum members is that Fujitsu is the first manufacturer to use 10-bit processing instead of 8-bit processing, which should make a significant difference in apparent gray scale performance, for example, according to Pete Putnam's article. That's what the AVM buzz is all about, and the 4242 has it as do the 5001 and 5002.

That's all I know about it, however.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Joel,

This is the first I hear of Fujitsu's 10-bit processing. This makes it the Plasma display of choice to use with an HTPC with an ATI Radeon with DVI output - the Radeon by the way blew nVidia's GeForce3/3 out of the water thanks to its 10-bit processing. One more reason to go Fujitsu! :)

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
It's ALiS ?

Damn, that sucks. That means it displays the image as Interlaced to get the full contrast and full resolution (1024x1024).

You can only get 1024x512 at progressive resolution and I understand contrast isn't that great for ALiS panels at that rate.

I've seen previous ALiS attempts (4222) and they're no match for the Panasonic.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Oh, it's definitely ALiS:

http://www.plasmavision.com/4242.html

I am lead to believe, however, that the 10-bit processing and higher brightness/contrast do make a difference, however, all the issues with 512p notwithstanding.

There are at least 3 forum members with Fuji 50s; Cineramax, Pat Thickey and tmitchmd. I've heard the 10-bit thing from those guys, but have not verified it independently because the websites don't go into that kind of detail.

Cheers

·
Registered
733 Posts
They have the 4242 on display at Harvey's in NYC. Pic looks great, but it is displaying HDNet (so of course it looks great). I was in there yesterday and the salesman couldn't figure out how to get a DVD playing. These guys are hopeless.

I did see it with standard cable a few weeks ago and it looked good, but not great. That is just a source issue though.

I have no idea how it was set-up yesterday, but with HDNet the blacks were noticeably grey when compared to the Runco 50" that was nearby. That said, I was impressed enough that I am holding off on a Panny 42 purchase until I have more info on the 4242 (as well as the upcoming Pio 43).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I've gone back to have another look at it, and it really is stunning. The display is noticeably higher resolution than the 4224, and the brightness is superb. Even I noticed some blockiness and banding on the 4224 that were absent on the 4242.

Bear in mind all of this is with non-progressive content being displayed, I do wish they had some progressive stuff to show.

You say it's a good price given that Japan is expensive - how much do you expect the street price to be in the US? In Australia, if by some fluke it ever actually ended up there, I can tell you it would be about twice the price.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Dr Tom (tmitchmd) regrettably does not own a 50" Fujitsu, yet. He insists upon the unit having built in amp/speakers for the WAF factor. This is an issue which is causing him much angst as he loves the image.

However, you may substitute reboot and the number remains constant. I am also pretty sure Cineramax is holding out for the Revox OEM version of the Fuji, or some other exotic neo-European version of same - maybe Mercedes is going to OEM the Fuji?

regards,

patrick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.