AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone successfully configured a Radeon card to drive a Fujitsu 5001/5002 using the DVI interface, at native resolution (1366x768)?

If so, please share your knowledge.

Thanks,

Kris.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Ah yes, the old " My Fujitsu 5001/2/3/4 does not accept NR thru DVI (unless you are reboot and have managed to confuse everyone and convinced yourself that you are getting NR thru DVI)" issue again:

Settle down in a nice comfy chair and read this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...s+in+the+house

Or go to the UK and buy the crappy Pixel Perfect video card from Imagine Graphics which is the only video card capable to talking properly to the DVI firmware in the Fujitsus.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wfung
The solution may be found here:

1. Visit this page:

http://www.netgolf.net/prod011111.htm

2. Go to this section:

Why can't I select my preferred refresh rate or resolution in Windows 98 or 2000?

Good luck.

-Kris
Er, I think it should be good luck to you Kris. Aren't you the one trying to get this to work? I think others have pretty much given up on this but if you can get it to work with the Imagine drivers then please post your results here.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I have it working in my system.

The key lies in having a .inf file with the correct monitor parameters in it. The .inf file allows you to add the plasma as a different monitor as detected by Windows.

The instructions provided in the link from my post explain how this can be done. If you'd like me to detail the steps, I'll be happy to do that.

-Kris

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Congrats wfung.

No need to repost details that are already in the link. What was more important was that someone on this forum got it to work told us about it.

BTW, there is another post (why he did not post it here I don't know) from someone who also got it working on a 5004 with a radeon 9000 (which one do you have?) at 1368X768. IS your's at the same rez?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's what I have:

ATI Radeon 7500 AIW

1366x768 through DVI-I port

Fujitsu 5001

No Powerstrip needed

-Kris.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correction -- I just realized that I did use Powerstrip to add the 1366x768 custom resolution before the change. Otherwise, this resolution will not be available.

-Kris

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I think I know what part of the problem is going “native rate†1360 X 768 DVI on Fujitsu PDS50x & PDS61x monitors.

I was able to go native in RGB analog mode with power strip, the plasma.inf, with an ATI 8500, but every time I tried the same settings in DVI mode it would resort to 1024 X 768 and go to pan mode. According to Fujitsu all the timings are the same between analog and DVI.

When I used power strip to read the EDID in DVI it would report back Max Resolution 1024 X 768 even with the plasma.inf from Pixel Perfect.

Today I installed a Pixel Perfect GC-K2x-64 and could not get it to go into “native rate†till I turned the EDID communications off, unchecked detect plug and play monitors, and had there plasma.inf monitor file installed. http://www.imaginegraphics.co.uk/drivers/drivers.htm . The key thing is the EDID communications needs to be turned off.

I wonder if there is any way to use anyone’s software to stop the video card from reading the EDID info from the plasma.

Pixel Perfect has dual outputs DVI and analog and doing an A/B comparison DVI blows it away.

I realize the Pixel Perfect is far from the best cards out there but images definitely look better in DVI native then they did on the ATI analog native.

I bought the Pixel Perfect GC-K2x-64 from 16-by-9.com and they were easy to deal with. http://www.netgolf.net/products111.htm

Wayne

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wayne,

Have you successfully configured the Radeon to work at native DVI also? Using the same .inf file, you can specify the monitor type to be Fujitsu plasma, replacing the plug-and-play type, effectively turning off the EDID. It will work.

Now that you have both the Radeon and the Pixel Perfect card, you can compare the 2 cards and use the better one.

Kris.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Kriss

I have not tried to reinstall that 8500 "yet" that is. I had used the plasma.inf before and had the pds6101 selected but, I left the automatically detect Plug and Play Monitors checked.

Are you saying that un-checking the “Automatically detect Plug and Play Monitors†in the display properties will turn off the EDID communications?

If you check the automatically detect Plug and Play Monitors on your setup, will the pds go into 1024 X 768 and pan???

I can’t believe it’s that simple.

Wayne

·
Registered
117 Posts
To Kris and Wayne:

Are you guys saying that at 1360 x 768 you are so close to the native rate of the display which is 1365(66) x 768 that the internal scaler in the display is performing a negligible amount of scaling activity or are you convinced that at 1360 x 768, the internal scaler in the display recognizes that as its native resolution and performs no scaling what-so-ever?

·
Registered
117 Posts
You must have had to call Fuji to get that data.

Makes one wonder if they could have made life easier by posting the resolution in the marketing material as 1360 x 768 instead of 1365(66) x 768.

I would guess that most external scaler or HDPC devices would have enough range in their horizontal size modes to make the stretch down to 1360 from 1365(66). Although, as has been demonstrated so far, there appears to be nothing easy in this effort to get the Fuji to sync to its native rate either over analog RGB or a digital connection.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.