AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best projector in the $20K range?

Requirements:

1. minimum 1080p

2. 1920 x 1080 min.

3. Capable of 120" wide @ 16x9 ratio from 265" Throw distance.

4. If DLP, must be quite

5. Nothing over $27K MSRP (but would like to keep it at $20K

(Fujitsu costs less than 18K and JVC is 16K, I have no deal pricing for Sony)

Sources:

DIRECTV HR10-250

DENON AVR-4806

DVD: waiting for blueray or HDDVD

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Hd2k is not the latest from JVC.
http://www.jvc.co.jp/english/press/2005/dla-hd11k.pdf

There are hd11k/hd11kl and hd12k/hd12kl. L is for long throw and you need that option the standard throw goes only to 2.1 times the screen width. They claim [email protected]:1. You will probably want to to with a higher gain screen if JVC ends up being your choice.

Pricing might be different now with Ruby vw100 from Sony. I think there might be a HQV processor on offer instead of Faroudja but I am not sure.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
For me, none of those beats the Ruby even though it is lower priced. But, with that long throw distance it wouldn't be super bright (since it gets dimmer at the longest throw). It also depends on how much light you need as the Fujitsu looks like it is probably much brighter than the HD2K or Ruby and the Qualia has brighter modes with the adjustable iris. You might want to read Greg Roger's review of the Ruby from WideScreenReview (I believe an online subscription is $15) and pay attention to whether anything else that would work for you will show up at CES next week.

--Darin

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I've seen all those projectors.

Check out the new Sony VPL-VW100 it's 1080p, 3 chip and Xenon bulb and can be had for well under the $10k MSRP.

It is a revolutionary product and beats all the above. I even has it's own forum here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...prune=14&f=146

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
In favour of JVC could be

1 long throw lens option

2 two box setup practical

3 cheaper bulbs

I do not know if these JVC projectors have reached customers yet and what the pricing is now with vw100 from Sony at 10k$.

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
I will agree with Darin, hands down the Ruby beats everything in your list, period. And its under 10k.

Why would anyone pay double the money for old technology.

Thread moved from the DLP forum:)

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen
A typo or a Freudian slip?
Let not kid ourselves. We all know this is my forum ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg
SXRD the new King
Quote:
I might claim the same :D - 08-12-04 08:48 AM ehScorpio wrote :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehScorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlson
ehScorpio

Do you favour any technology for digital cinema at this point?

1 Sony sxrd

2 JVC d-ila

3 grating light valve

4 other
SXRD (my personal opinion).
But instead I propose to share it with everybody.

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because of the typos and non clarity of this post and that I am not understanding the last few reply (don't know if they are even on topic or not) I am reposting a similar poll/thread. Please re-vote if you have already.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
What's to understand? The three projectors you listed were the only 1080p digitals available until now.

The Sony VPL-VW100 delivers a better picture than ANY of them. And for ~$15,000 less

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a million for clarifying Tryg. but what about the Fujitsu LFP-D711. An Integrator in Torrance said the Fujitsu is by far the Supperior product for $17,500.00, which is quite the discount of the 25k MSRP.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
He can believe that all he wants. I'll bet my bottom dollar he hasn't seen the Ruby.

I've seen the 711. Indead it is beautiful. BUT is still has issues like vertical banding and this generation of LCD may still have longevity issues associated with LCDs. You would have limited support as I'd guess not many have been sold. It is about to be outdone by both Epson and Sony LCD products.

I'm not saying dont buy 1080p LCD. I am saying dont buy this one. Wait till the new generation if you want LCD. They will be out in a few months.

The 711 case is ugly :eek:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVINTEL
An Integrator in Torrance said the Fujitsu is by far the Supperior product for $17,500.00, which is quite the discount of the 25k MSRP.
I agree with him :cool:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Quote:
He can believe that all he wants. I'll bet my bottom dollar he hasn't seen the Ruby.

I've seen the 711. Indead it is beautiful. BUT is still has issues like vertical banding and this generation of LCD may still have longevity issues associated with LCDs. You would have limited support as I'd guess not many have been sold. It is about to be outdone by both Epson and Sony LCD products.

I'm not saying dont buy 1080p LCD. I am saying dont buy this one. Wait till the new generation if you want LCD. They will be out in a few months.

The 711 case is ugly :eek:
It's true that D711 case is not a state of art, but its overall PQ is... well.. you know what I would say :)

The vertical banding is not visible to me and also to many other who reviewed it. So I'd say it's not a real issue. Plus, as we can all see Ruby has its many other issues discussed in your own forum (Tryg, you should have received thread deleting powers by now :D ) OK, they are all minor things which won't really matter too much but still there are some issues.

I haven't seen Ruby but I have seen Qualia many times. Can somebody please tell me what's Ruby got more than Qualia besides CR (I'm leaving cost advantage aside) They both have the same technology and Qualia has a better lens and it's brighter. Having a greater CR is not the only condition for overall picture quality. Unfortunately , people here are too anal on this. For my taste, I didn't like the smooth CRT like picture (as many here describes it) of the Qualia and I'm sure it's not different with Ruby and I prefered Fujitsu because it gives you razor sharp images with both SD and HD sources. With its polarizing filters, its CR is quite good enough and doesn't really make you wanting more. Just feed it with some good D-Theater images and you'll see what I mean. We just watched the Beauty of Japan D-VHS Demo tape and my friends couldn't believe their eyes.

Avintell,

At the end of the day, don't listen any of us... Go to CES or check out demos at dealers and try to audition all thes pj's with your own eyes and buy the best you like if the cost is not a big factor. I did it last year at CES and prefered Fujitsu. If you go you might see the Fujitsu at 3LCD booth.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Quote:
I nearly dropped my coffee over the keyboard. Good one :D

Happy new year.

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murat
Avintell,

At the end of the day, don't listen any of us... Go to CES or check out demos at dealers and try to audition all thes pj's with your own eyes and buy the best you like if the cost is not a big factor. I did it last year at CES and prefered Fujitsu. If you go you might see the Fujitsu at 3LCD booth.
Thats the best advice in this thread.

Murat Im glad to hear your enjoying HD over in Turkey. Happy new years:)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Happy New Years to all of you ....

God, I still have a terrible headache from lastnight ... getting too old to party :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, so the big question still seems to be... for my application ( with somewhat short throw and not being able to use a propriatry cable from the outboard processor to the projector) Its obviously between Ruby and JVC HD2K or D711.... or something else????

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVINTEL
not being able to use a propriatry cable from the outboard processor to the projector
What do you mean? Do all your cables from your sources come thru the walls and ceiling to the projector and you can't run another cable? Well, then Fujitsu will be quite hard to install, because you need to use its own scaler/processor box and connect it to pj with its own or another long optical DVI cable.

But even if you don't go with Fujitsu, I'd recommend to get a good processor (some very good ones will hopefully show up this year) connect all your sources with shorter cables to the processor and run a optical DVI cable to your pj. This will give you the most flexibility and best picture quality.

Here is the throw distance chart for D711, see if it fits to your room

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.