Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The race is on!

Fujitsu and Hitachi have reached a new "low" in the somewhat humorous competition among display manufacturers to produce the "world's smallest" 1080p plasma. The new 1920 x 1080 42-inch PDP snatches the title from previous record holder Panasonic, whose 50-inch model seems positively huge in comparison. This 16:9 widescreen features a 3000:1 contrast ratio and 1000 cd/m2 brightness—no word yet on pricing or availability, but we'll be following this story closely, as you can be sure that the 42-incher isn't the last contender we'll see in this heated battle.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/12/08/f...rlds-smallest/

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
"Fujitsu and Hitachi have reached a new "low" in the somewhat humorous competition among display manufacturers to produce the "world's smallest" 1080p plasma."

This line sums it up for me... I'm more inclined to think BIG versus small when it pertains to FP TVs.

42" 50" 65"

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
If this 42" 1920x1080 plasma is from Hitachi/Fujitsu group, is it an ALiS panel? If so, then it would be an interleaved display if they have not changed the way ALiS works. All that said, I think a 1366x768 42" panel would be more than sufficient as that would have square pixels and all the resolution you really need at a typical 8 to 10 foot sitting distance.

·
Banned
326 Posts
hrm...I didn't even know Panasonic had a 50" 1080p only knew they had a 65. Interesting day so far, morning, 50" 1080p Pioneer plasma. Afternoon 42" 1080p fujitsu/hitachi plasma. Wonder what would happen tonight, or tomorrow.

ps. ALiS panels are interlaced are they not? If it is, then shouldn't it be 1920x1080i instead of 1080p?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Did you guys notice the buried Engadget link to the Panasonic Press Conference where they announced the 103" Panny Plasma and the partnership with Comcast? In the last few hours?

The President of Comcast is supposed to get one of those 103" plasma's. Must be a pre CES Press Meeting.

http://engadget.com/2006/01/04/live-...ss-conference/

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnakster
hrm...I didn't even know Panasonic had a 50" 1080p only knew they had a 65. Interesting day so far, morning, 50" 1080p Pioneer plasma. Afternoon 42" 1080p fujitsu/hitachi plasma. Wonder what would happen tonight, or tomorrow.
This was not announced this afternoon. It was announced back on the 8th (perhaps a day earlier - don't recall) and reported here by multiple sources at that time.

Mods -- how bout a thread merge? There's at least two others out there...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.