1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From... http://www.plasmavision.com/press48.html

May 15, 2002

FUJITSU INSTITUTES NEW WARRANTY POLICY FOR PLASMAVISION SLIMSCREEN® MONITORS

--Purchases Over The Internet Or From Unauthorized Dealers Will Not Be Covered By Warranty --

FAIRFIELD, NJ-Fujitsu, the leader in plasma display technology, today announced it is amending its warranty for all Plasmavision SlimScreen plasma display monitors. The new warranty coverage specifically excludes Plasmavision® displays purchased through on-line retailers and resellers who are not authorized Fujitsu dealers.

Tedd Rozylowicz, Fujitsu Senior Vice President, noted: "We want to assure that anyone who purchases a Fujitsu Plasmavision monitor gets the full benefits of their purchase. The only way customers can have this assurance of full warranty protection and unmatched performance is if they purchase a Plasmavision monitor from an authorized dealer. The purchase and sale of plasma products require an extensive amount of pre and post sale support, support that cannot be adequately provided over the internet. While there is an opportunity to sell much more product by authorizing internet sales, we believe that by managing our distribution in this way the Fujitsu brand, our authorized dealers and the end-users will benefit."

The warranty is valid only if the plasma display monitor was purchased new from an authorized Fujitsu dealer and the original factory serial numbers of the monitor have not been removed, defaced or replaced in any way. Authorized dealers are not allowed to sell Fujitsu Plasmavision monitors on the Internet, through any on-line retailer or similar e-tailing web site, or whose serial numbers have been altered.

Specifics of the warranty policy are stated in the Fujitsu General America, Inc. Limited Warranty Statement included with the purchase of all Plasmavision SlimScreen models. Copies are available upon request.

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I contacted TV Authority on this...a large on-line plasma dealer and a forum sponsor, and here is the reply I received...

---SNIP---

David:

I spoke in greater detail with Tedd Rozylowicz, senior VP over at Fujitsu. Fujitsu's new policy states that the Fujitsu warranty is not valid if the unit was purchased online, through any online retailer or similar etailing website. This means that NO Dealer may offer any information regarding the fujitsu product online (even if price is excluded). Previously, we are an authorized dealer and as requested we did not post prices and therefore one could not purchase a Fujitsu on the website. They could only purchase the product after a detailed phone call with our sales associates. Now, even this is no longer acceptable. Fujitsu wishes to remove all info from the web.

As you know David, we think this policy is absurd. This ignores the extensive knowledge of people like yourself and the AVS Forum members who want the Plasma technology without paying extremely high costs for the units as well as the cost of custom integration. We recognize that the people on the internet and especially on AVS forum are the most knowledgeable people out there regarding AV technology. We unfortunately must follow Fujitsu's policy. We value the relationship that we have with you and want to give the members of the Forum information that will help them determine which plasma tv they wish to buy.

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that no warranties will be honored if the unit is bought from a dealer (even an authorized dealer) if the the dealer provides info online. Even if the dealer tells you differently, when the product has a problem, the customer will not be supported or protected by Fujitsu.

We would love to discuss this policy in greater detail with anyone who wishes to talk to us. That includes you or ANY member of the forum.

[email protected]

Thanks.

Jason Palmer

---END SNIP---

·
Registered
925 Posts
I presume they're not trying to make it retroactive?

Is this legal? Can they in fact nullify their responsibilities as a warrantor with a press release like this?

Is this only INTERNET or any REMOTE order? What if I've been buying for 20 years from the guy who did the systems in my first house - 2,000 miles away since I moved 10 years ago? Can he no longer sell me a unit and ship it?

"Absurd" is a word :)

Doody.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Sounds like something drastic happened to cause such a dramatic change.

I bet their sales will suffer and they will revisit

their Internet policy!

·
Registered
292 Posts
The lessons of history ... Compaq computer years ago chose to sell only through bricks and mortar full service retailers. A small upstart company named PC's Limited, founded by one Michael Dell, chose to sell through direct channels. The rest is history. Compaq after years of missed sales opportunities finally caved in, but only after losing its market leading position. Now direct sales are almost the only way computers are sold.

Fujutsu, with an excellent product, apparently has decided to shoot itself in the foot. In trying to protect their dealers' profit margins, they are turning their backs on what is actually a larger market! A short term strategy at best, and at worst one that could reduce consumer confidence in the stability of the company's business practices. Personally I was considering a Fuji 50", and I noticed in the last few days that they were no longer on the Dell web site. If Fuji (or anyone else) thinks I am going to pay a full retail 15,000 smackers, they have another think coming!

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
"This means that NO Dealer may offer any information regarding the fujitsu product online (even if price is excluded)".

You can say that you sell Fujitsu if your website is aimed at the local customer. Like ours.

Even Fujitsu's website points to local dealers. So they would have to remove local dealer infor from their own website if what you say is true.

Please spare bonafide dealers the wrath of Avsforum...:)

Al an:

"Sounds like something drastic happened to cause such a dramatic change ."

Yeah Crazy Eddie had the 5002 at 12G for xmas.

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"You can say that you sell Fujitsu if your website is aimed at the local customer. Like ours. "

I am sorry, but from what I have been told...you can not even mention them on the site. No line-list mention, no info on product. If you are on the web...you are not just "local". They are looking to stop any traffic you could bring from somewhere else.

Thus if you are on the web...you are not just local. For I could find you on the web as a dealer then call you and say I would like unit X and you could say sure! (Not that you would...but could.) It is realy easy to say OK when you have $15000 order you are looking at. (again...not that you personally would.)

My .02

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
David I had cleared this with my regional manager. We even show a map of our target market.

http://www.xtremedtv.com/images/invisystem%202001.jpg

The purpose of our website is INFORMATIONAL. It is a Show and tell book, that can be maintained for timeliness.

We are about to do a mailer to 10,000 homes for a few thousand bucks.

With the website I can offer detailed information that would otherwise cost $30,000 in Unnecessary Brochures. The paper waste alone would be ridiculous.

We are not registered in major search engines for that purpose.

But I will double check.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Peter-

Please be careful - I would hate to see Fujitsu yank the carpet out from under your feet, too. I would not test the limits of this craziness.

Regards, Bruce

·
Super Moderator
21,501 Posts
I question if they can do this-

if I bought on-line from a dealer that claims he is authorized and got a unit with valid serial numbers, I might not see the fine print of the warranty until I had a problem

sounds like a good way for the B&M stores to keep prices high

Mark:D

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"You can also use Yellow pages ads to find dealers and call them, what is the difference."

:) They are not going after the Yellow Page dealers for one thing. They are targeting the Internet.

The yellow pages are a totally different beast. One is cost, two is it is not changeable, for most, except once a year, and three for the most part...it is regional.

Peter...I would just be real clear on what you can and can not have on your website. That's all...and I would also get it in writing. For would it not be real bad if you sold someone a unit and they then needed service only to find out because they bought it from you...they can't get service because you mentioned the company on your website. Oh Boy!

Not just Peter...but anyone would sells these should really question what can and can not be done based on this new policy. It seems their are now mixed information being given out.

It would be good if you could mentioned that you sell them, but provided no info. But then again...I could call you looking for the best price, for I know you are a dealer for I had read it on your site, and you could sell it to me. Where does it end with this?

I think the issue at hand is this...No one who is spending this kind of money would do so without research. I for one would want to see the unit in operation...but that is me. Where do I see one in use? Not on the net...I can get all kinds of reports on the net...but I can not see one work. So...I go to my local dealer and see the unit. Great...now I want it...But I do not care to pay what my local dealer wants for it. Back to the net where I find the dealer was asking a lot. But he has too, for he has brought in units to stock (maybe) and of course display. However...in the next state, just a short drive, another dealer has it for less, so I buy it from him...Pondering issue now ahy?

All in all it comes down to, I believe, people wanting to see the units and the store owners getting upset when they do not have the sale for it is cheaper on-line. Well...that is very true. But would you also not sell more if the price was lower? You have no issue selling say, Oh, I don't know, a DVD player and making $20. But you have and issue if you only make $100 on a Plasma. Yes...I know it cost you more to get in in the store. Yes, I know you would have to sell a lot of these hi-cost units to make something.

Well...my answer (though probably not right)...Tell the manufacture to send you a unit for display. That way, you have no real overhead on the unit and you can sell them and make money at the same time competing with the on-line dealers as far as cost. People will want to see it after all...now you can without risk.

I am not a dealer...I am not in retail...thus I can be WAY off base on this.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sad to see such ill conceived "policy" due to the impact it will have on folks trying to earn a living and leveraging the power of wide spread information sharing - the Internet.

This latest policy (sic) however, is consistent with my experience dealing with Fujitsu.

Based upon MY experience, this is a company very indifferent to customers and arrogant in terms of policy.

The roots of this decision are located far, far away and very old school in nature. This is very unenlightened and protectionist.

I predict, and keep in mind I own one of the very early production 50" plasma units so please, no lectures, this will result in significant shrinking of their market share. I would also speculate the decision is highly unpopular within Fujitsu but that dissenters are subject to the same tenor of treatment and thus, we will hear little more.

Poor lurker Dave was probably assigned to painting resistor stripes at a plant in Brunei....;-)

regards,

patrick

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Cineramax,

Defend if you must, but I don't think I would want to put all my eggs in one basket.

If a company is making life this difficult before I even purchase their product, God forbid, if I have to deal with them after I purchase their product. I personally would run, not walk, but run as fast as I could away from them.

No offense intended.

Dave

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Clever Cineramax gets to advertise his store again without, seemingly, violating any rules.

You go boy!

In all seriousness, this is very disturbing and very ironic given the reply I and D Fletcher made to the other post about a Fujitsu 5001 repair being done under warranty. I really hope Fujitsu will see that this is a bad move that will hurt them in the long run.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi forum friends,

From what I hear, Fujitsu General USA won't even honor the warranty if either the seller or the buyer has so much as an email address. :eek:

Speaks loudly of the level of confidence they have in their product's reliability - or is it an admission of their inability to implement a proper value added distribution chain without much to fear from discounters?

While they're at it, what Fujitsu USA could do is entirely dismantle their distribution network and only sell directly to the final customers. To perfect such a forward looking sales policy, they could delete any information circulating about their products pretexting copyright infringement, and shut down their websites to make sure that nobody can buy their products without first kissing their *** in the living flesh.

What this forum has apparently taught Fujitsu is that the internet is a dangerous place: you cannot easily manipulate the intelligent people that make up the Plasma market, or dictate price policy easily. However, without an internet presence or direct feedback from the market and distribution channels, you can delude yourself into imagining that you're running the show without clear evidence otherwise - a comfortable situation for a company which reports overseas.

In the wake of Patrick's problems (ie no customer support to speak of from Fujitsu) I had thought of contacting my family connections at Fujitsu headquarters in Japan. I held off, to allow David Fink and others at Fujitsu USA time to realign their thought processes and business approach to the concrete realities of the not so virtual world encountered through the internet in this forum.

Obviously this was an uncalled for consideration, as things are apparently just getting worse. For the sake of the folks in Japan, who are probably not at all aware of just how wacky things are getting on the other side of the Pacific, and for the sake of the US customers and distributors who are getting shafted by such intransigent and unjustified policies, this issue is as of today going to get pushed up to the brass at their world headquarters. Sorry guys, but enough is enough. The far more customer friendly people at Fujitsu Japan will meet on it, and come to a consensus about what steps must be taken at once, and in the long term.

Best wishes to those at Fujitsu USA with a minimum of horse sense: this is the time to brace yourself for an internal audit and its share of risks and opportunities.

Cheers,

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dang, and I was leaning towards the Fujitsu due to more inputs. Well, now my Fujitsu vs. Panasonic choice is easy...

Panasonic has better support.

Panasonic has better prices (a local brick & mortar shop will come close enough to online prices to be worth paying the difference).

You gotta love free markets. The manufacturer is free to do whatever they want and the customer is free to buy whatever best meets their needs :).

·
Registered
621 Posts
Wow, I really don't know what to say about this. I've only had the 5001 for 4 months. I purposely searched the Web, and got it as cheaply as possible. I was willing to take the 1 year warranty over the 3 year, and get brain tumors from the Class A device. But if my unit breaks this year, as others have, I will have no recourse but to pay for it myself. Unless they were willing to honor those purchases which were made before this recent proclamation. What kind of company makes these statements? Why are they the only ones who don't want to be sold by Dell and others online? I really don't understand this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Patrick, you are so right.

This is a prime example of corporate control freaks gone wild. The only effective way to retaliate against this

arrogant policy, which is an effort to maintain artificially high prices, is to vote with your bucks $$$$.

Remember if Fujitsu's quality control were truly zero tolerance there would be no need for them to have a warranty. The fact that they need one speaks volumes.

Unlike other manufacturers, Fujitsu is not content just to sell their products to dealers for resale to consumers; they insist upon controlling the dealers way of doing business.

If this is not illegal, it should be. I thought that price

fixing was made illegal in the 80s. Perhaps some later administration has made it legal again. Does anyone know?

I was going to buy a 5001 but bought A Panasonic instead.

Now, I'm truly glad I did. I had need of service and I can't

speak too highly of the service I got and the treatment I received at Panny's Secaucus, NJ facility.

If you are willing to put up with this outragous corporate behavior, go ahead and kiss Fujitsu's ass and buy their plasma; if you don't care to....vote with your bucks.

Larry Racies

PS:

Thanks for pointing me to the editing feature, Patrick.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.