Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am budgeted from $6000 to $8000 for a new plasma. After much research (internet and forum info) and viewing of various models I have narrowed it down to either possibly the Fujitsu P42HHA10WS or Panasonic PT42PHD4. I would appreciate any additional info that may help.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The only honest info anyone here can give you is to go with which one looks better to you. I'd wager just about every Fuji or Panny owner on here loves their plasma.

I've been wrestling between the Pio and Panny for a while now, and luckily have a couple months left to wrestle before I'm in a position to pull the trigger. I figure at that point, I'll give them all a good solid look again, and go with which looks the best to me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There is no right answer to this question. A lot is personal preference. Keep in mind though that you are comparing last year's Panny with this year's Fuji.

The new Fuji has DVI-HDCP which the Panny does not and probably will not ever have. A fairer comparison would be the Fuji to the new 42" HD Panny which won't be out until this summer at the earliest - the new Pannys do support HDCP. If you don't know about this issue, take some time and search around this thread. HDCP flags are an important issue for anyone purchasing an HD display.

Above all else, your eyes are the best guide. Many people love the Pioneer picture and hate the Panny. I feel the opposite and think that Fuji blows them both away. Only you can tell what looks good to you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, especially for the link. I think I will definitely wait until the summer for the new Panny.

Deckard

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am in a similar dilemma. I have looked at both the Fujitsu P42VHA20US and the Panny PT42PD3P (consumer version of TH42PWD5UY). IMHO, the Fujitsu has, hands down , the better picture -- it is stunning! The Panny's picture is good too, but just can't match the Fujitsu's.

However, I am a very price sensitive consumer. While the retail price on both models is the same, the Panny can easily be found online with deep discounts (more than $1,500). The online price for the Fujitsu is (at best) $400 to $500 below retail, but Fujitsu won't honor the warranty for consumers that buy online! No warranty for purchases from unauthorized dealers, and authorized dealers are not allowed to sell online.

Factor into the above that the Panny comes with a desktop stand ($399 for the Fujitsu) and I am looking at a price differential of almost $2,000 -- that is a big chunk of change, especially when one is looking at ED (not HD) plasmas! For that price difference I can upgrade to the Panny HD model. Seems like a no-brainer -- but that Fujitsu picture is almost irresistible!

The feature I want most (besides best PQ) that the Fujitsu offers over the Panny is better input options, especially DVI and HDCP. But Panny will have that in a few more months. As far as I know, the MSRP has not yet been set for the Panny PT-TH42PA20U, but I am hoping it will be close to or the same as the current PT42PD3P model. That would be a winning combination for me, so I think I am going to wait before I buy.

CAUTION: Opinionated Ranting Ahead

As for Fujitsu, I hope they learn soon that many consumers are price conscious enough that they will avoid buying Fujistsu plasmas because of their online sales policy. Fujitsu argues that plasmas require a lot of pre and post sales support. That may be true for some consumers, but I personally believe there is a very large population of tech-savvy consumers, like myself, who simply don't need or trust that "support." If I can build my own computer, I think I can set up a plasma display in my living room!

As for pre-sales support, I have visited the two main B&M stores who carry Fujitsu plasmas in my area. The sales people were fairly worthless in demonstrating the product and answering my questions. I've gotten much better information reading posts in this forum (thanks to everyone who writes!). For me, I perceive the primary effect of Fujitsu's no-Internet sales policy as stifling competition, such that prices remain artifically high. I think that is a disservice to many consumers.

Face it Fujitsu, consumers come in all different shapes, sizes, and technical competence. Those who need lots of pre-sales support can go to a B&M and try to get it (good luck), paying retail in the process. Those who don't need or want pre-sales support and who want sources for discount pricing deserve that option. Since you do not currently provide that, you have just lost another sale.

{rant over -- thanks for listening}

:D

·
Registered
579 Posts
Its a no brainer for me to choose the Panny because of my past good experience with reliable Panasonic products. I have never bought anything from Fujitsu and probably never will since their product range for consumer is very narrow as well as a bad attitude. Panny make their own plasma while Fujitsu, Sony and Hitachi share many of the same plasma panel and modified the electronic control circuits. If your Fujitsu plasma needs a spare part after warranty expires, it will be as difficult and costly to get as a water pump for a Ferrari!:cool:

·
Registered
764 Posts
I just want to underscore everything above regarding HDCP.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Fujitsu is *better* than the rest.

I own a Fujitsu of course:)

·
Registered
794 Posts
"I just want to underscore everything above regarding HDCP."

What are you saying PeeBee? That soon I will not be able to watch HDTV on my ED Panny? You must be kidding...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, I would also purchase a Fujitsu... if all of the vendors were out of Pioneers.:D

BTW, my 503CMX arrived exactly 24 hours ago and right after dinner tonight, I will be turning it off for the first time. I don't even have it on the wall yet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by technofan
Panny make their own plasma while Fujitsu, Sony and Hitachi share many of the same plasma panel and modified the electronic control circuits.
Huh? Not 100% sure of what you're saying here. Where did you get this mythinformation from? Have you never heard of the Fujitsu/Hitachi glass production affiliation? Also, just mebbe the modified "electronic control circuits" are superior. Has this occured to you?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fcolliga
As far as I know, the MSRP has not yet been set for the Panny PT-TH42PA20U, but I am hoping it will be close to or the same as the current PT42PD3P model. That would be a winning combination for me, so I think I am going to wait before I buy.

:D
Well according to Ed Wolff - VP of Panasonic Display Division the MSRP will remain constant for the new model, plus built-in speakers, NTSC & ATSC tuners.

Here's a Windows Media Video clip interview with Ed from CES 2003 (excuse the commercials):

http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/emailvi.../plasmatv.html

Another little 'Tidbit' I found interesting is that an ISF Calibrator from the UK claims that the ED model Fujitsu ( P42VHA20US ) uses Panny Series '4' glass. (Take this with a grain of salt, as I have not found any other confirmation, likewise, I have no reason to dis-believe it either. Maybe TrainerDave can set the record straight.)

For what it's worth....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I chose the Fujitsu following multiple visits to the local store to compare them along with the Pioneer. Each time I came away with the feeling that I prefered this units picture which to me was the single most important factor.

I hope someone can answer the prior glass question, as I have now been told or read 3 different sources used in this unit.

Jim

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Yes, Blade Runner, you must, harrass and harangue until someone sells you the Fujitsu 50" for the $8K you are budgeting. That is the "no brainer, no wait until summer" decision that will give you years of happiness.

Mark

·
Registered
65 Posts
something just occurred to me, if you HAVE to go to a B&M to get a fuji, and the fuji's have better profit margains... what incentive do those B&M's have to sell you something else?

And if you think that a B&M won't pull an 'oops' on the PQ of a less expensive model, you're naive.

Minthrakos

·
23,031 Posts
fcolliga: Some people have "voted against" Fujitsu and bought

other plasmas for basically the same reason you are whining about.

However, not everybody who owns a Fujitsu plasma paid list price,

or close too it, with a valid warranty. So instead of wasting time

and energy entering your rant which has been done almost

ad nauseum here, search around and find some other threads

where you may find people to PM and ask where they found a good

deal on a Fujitsu plasma.

I'm on the east coast, so I can't help. Anybody in the Bay area able

to help fcolliga?

good luck

larry

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Brucer and J Craig, I can assure you that had the P42VHA20US not used panny glass then I would have kept good on my promise to eat my speedos :D After having checked with a man who should know, I am happy to say that they will enjoy many more years of proud display in the way that their creator intended.

I can't get any clearer than that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.