AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm comparing these two Fujitsu models. I'll be watching from 7-12 feet and viewing a lot of SD Directv, but also will have an HD directv hook-up. And also a lot of DVDs. I know it's a signifigant price difference -- is it worth it?

Albini

·
Registered
85 Posts
"is it worth it?"

you should be asking yourself that question instead of asking the forum.

you'll get multiple answers from hardcored HD guys saying that HD is a must at all costs while you have others that proclaim that ED is just as good if not better, etc. etc.

you have to look at it yourself and see if you can discern the difference. then you and only you can answer the question of whether it's worth it or not.

IMHO, it's not worth it. i'll go Fuji ED over the HD. because to my eye, i can't see the difference from normal viewing distances. i can't even tell from abnormal viewing distances. but then again, i'm just a noob and i don't have that good of an eye for these things.

Your mileage may vary.....

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I saw both of them side by side and I will admit they were close in pq when viewing hdnet. But IMO, the colors were a bit richer on the HD model and it was a bit more "vibrant". Is the difference worth the price? Totally subjective question. Personally I am going with an HD set so I never say to myself "what if". The money difference will fade over time, but the panel is something I'll have for a long time. So for me it's worth it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Have the store (since I assume you are going through a B&M dealer for a Fujitsu) hook up a VCR and run it to the display via composite....that will show you pretty well what SD material looks like on the screen(s). I found that the ED unit looked better than the HD unit under those circumstances and assumed it was because the scaler didn't have to work as hard. Side by side with an HD input, the HD unit did look a bit better....just not $2K better to my eyes and for my usage.

Mort

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
In my opinion you will probably get a better picture in SD with the ED model. Ken Ross wrote a review about his 42" ED Fuji a while back and he describes his impressions. Do a search and I think you will find it enlightening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.