AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My installation is slowly coming along. Having mentioned it several weeks ago, a few people keep asking if I've got new pictures yet and I was avoiding it until I got to some point that it began to look finished. :)

Here's a photo of how it looks so far. I just got the A/V cabinet up on the wall and am still working out getting the cables run properly now that things are in their final resting spot.

The power cable isn't long enough so until I get a longer one, you'll see it's just running back behind the unit, whereas all the video cables connecting the plasma are running through a flexible black tube. However the tube isn't really run where it's going to end up yet, as I'm still repainting the room and have the trim yet to do. It'll end up fastened along the molding above the sliding door, which will be hidden by some sort of curtains yet to be chosen. I had the 5m limit on the DVI cable to worry about, so I couldn't go up and into the 12-foot ceiling like I'd originally thought of doing. And no way was I springing for the pricey DVI extension cables!

I built the cabinet myself. It's mounted on the wall with 3 slides (each pair rated to 500lbs) so the cabinet can slide forward 20" for access to the back panels.

Soon I'll sort out the cabing of the A/V equipment, getting cables the right size for all the connections. I just used all the old too-long cables I had around right now.

And I have yet to fabricate speaker mounts to get the 7 speakers up everywhere in the room that they belong, so everything's still sitting on the floor right now. The subwoofer is below the cabinet where it'll stay. The thing hanging in the corner is a motion sensor I still need to paint the case of, so the innards are hanging down.

http://www.2150.com/doug/livingroom/...8w_500x750.jpg

Here's a photo the rear while it's slid forward. At least the rats nest is up off the floor. :) I also still have to clean up the coax satellite antenna cables and run new speaker wire. That's the clump of wires heading off towards the floor. And I need another power strip or two; I've got one laying on the floor since I didn't have another one worthy of mounting on the rear.

http://www.2150.com/doug/livingroom/...9w_500x750.jpg

Gosh, I guess I'm not as far along as I thought! :)

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Doug-

Now I get it!

Couple of questions.

1. Which side does the door open on?

2. How much space did you allow for for access to the door?

3. Is the ceiling pole rigid (ie. fixed in height)? If I knew this is what you were up to, I might have suggested hydraulics lift cynders so plasma could be telescoped up/ down. (May have required slightly larger diameter tubing).

4. Was the kink (angle) fitting part of the package, or did you adapt?

Good use for drawers slides.

"Flying" speakers could be cool, (maybe fishing line).

Good job,

Bruce

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Brucer
1. Which side does the door open on?
Facing the wall from the inside, from left to right, there's a bank of windows, there's the doorway of the sliding door, then there's the fixed portion of the sliding door, then another bank of windows. The plasma screen is mounted so the left side of the panel is in front of the fixed part of the sliding door... a little bit to the right of it actually, so the opening is completely clear.

If you look at the windows along the top, there's two more to the left of the photo that are the same size, and then there's another few feet of wall (actually a little less than a foot of wall, then a siffit that's covering the rest that's above some built-in cabinets/wet bar there.

When I put the mount up, I started thinking "hey, I should replace the sliding door with one that lets me slide both panels out of the way and then I could rotate the plasma so I could watch it when I'm out on the balcony, too." But decided that project is best saved for another day -- or another year. :)
Quote:
2. How much space did you allow for for access to the door?
The full width of the opening is clear and I think about half a foot more of the fixed part.
Quote:
3. Is the ceiling pole rigid (ie. fixed in height)? If I knew this is what you were up to, I might have suggested hydraulics lift cynders so plasma could be telescoped up/ down. (May have required slightly larger diameter tubing).
It's adjustable but not while in use. The extension piece is actually two posts that slide into each other that are held together by a screw fitting through holes. You can just make out where these two pieces fit into eachother along the line of the inside top of the upper windows. It can be moved in increments of 3 inches, I believe. But you really can't change it once the plasma is mounted without someone holding the plasma up. I think it was the day after I installed the mount, I saw on some TV program the use of a scissor style mount, which intrigued me because it was intended to allow adjustment vertically, but I've never seen that sort of mount anywhere.
Quote:
4. Was the kink (angle) fitting part of the package, or did you adapt?
That's how it comes. From the look of it, its purpose is to keep the center of balance roughly directly below the shaft that attaches to the ceiling. If you look closely, you'll see a slightly larger metal fitting right above that point. That's the fitting that would normally screw into the ceiling mount plate if I didn't have the extension tube. It's also where the plasma can rotate side-to-side.
Quote:
"Flying" speakers could be cool, (maybe fishing line).
I haven't really figured this out yet. One thought I had is that I'd mount a bracket to the right side of the cabinet at the level where the space for the phono player is since it wouldn't interfere with any equipment there and would be roughly at ear level for one speaker, and then fashion a bracket that would be to the left of the opening part of the sliding door. This would be about equal spacing on either side of the plasma screen, and I don't think would be obtrusive. The room isn't square, it's a parallelogram. The corner where the cabinet is mounted is actually about 75 degrees, so when I make the screen parallel to the opposite wall (really a railing to a dining room 4 feet higher), the right side is about even with the front of the cabinet and the left side is about even with 8 inches in front of the wall at that point next to the sliding door. Then I'd make a bracket for the center speaker that would hold it right below the plasma screen in the middle and that would be attached to the ceiling bracket post so it wouldn't be affected by the tilt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.