Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am wondering how many of you here the own the Fujitsu XHA40US are running an external scaler?

How much of a overall improvement is there?

What do you recommend?

·
Registered
594 Posts
You don't need an external scaler with the P50(40). The AVM2 is so good that I have my DVD player (Denon 2900), which is one of the best, set to interlaced and let the AVM2 do the work. Picture is unbelieveable. Anyone who says you need a scaler has not worked with the P50(40).

Jim

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
How does the Fujitsu handle 1080i video sources? Does it use Bob like almost all other scalers do - except the soon to be released high end scalers? Does it have a DCDi like technique to remove jaggies in video sources?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
How does the Fujitsu handle 1080i video sources? Does it use Bob like almost all other scalers do - except the soon to be released high end scalers? Does it have a DCDi like technique to remove jaggies in video sources?
Not sure what algorithm it uses, but the AVM II processor makes 480i DVD sources look as good or better than upconverted DVD without the need for HDCP-enabled HDMI or DVI connection. The improvements to 1080i from my HR10-250 DirecTivo are more subtle.

In my opinion, forking over $800 or more for an external scaler is a waste of money with a Fujitsu display. If you're intent on using an external scaler, I would consider buying a 50" Panny commercial unit like the new 8UK for less money than the Fujitsu. You'd have the same glass as the Fujitsu, but use an outboard scaler in place of the AVM II processor.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I use an inexpensive LG upconverting DVD/VCR combo player with my P55XHA40US and the PQ is comparable to 1080i broadcasts - no exaggeration - not seeing a need for a higher end player/external scaler (seems redundant to me) because of how good the PQ is already - and I carefully examined/researched PDPs for months prior to purchasing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.