AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am brand new to this forum and I am new to plasma tvs. I am looking for feedback on the Fujitsu P50XHA40US and any help would be helpful Thank You in advance, Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkkds
Exept for the rainbows, or phosphor decays effects that i am getting it is an amasing panel.
Could you explain these issues and would they discourage you from buying the unit again . Is there any other units that you feel are better or could recommend.

·
23,031 Posts
Welcome Lexus! If you do a search for "P50" you will find a ton of info. The Fujitsu P50 series plasma has been generally recognized (here) as the best 50" plasma on the market. The combination of the Panasonic plasma glass and Fujitsu AVM have made the P50 the choice of people who strive for the best and can afford it. There are always tradeoffs involved and there are other excellent plasmas available that may better fit your requirements. AFA what sdkkds is talking about, I have no idea. :) I'd also like a more descriptive explanation of what he thinks is a problem or just something inherent in all plasmas.

larry

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkkds
Exept for the rainbows, or phosphor decays effects that i am getting it is an amasing panel.
It's unfortunate a newbie has to see this kind of response with no further explanation.

I see no rainbows on my 50" Fujitus. I don't recall any post describing such an artifact. And I have NO clue as to what "phosphor decay effects" mean in relationship to the Fujitsu.

As Pooper said, do a search. There is a wealth of information on the Fujitsu 50". It is uniformly considered to be the best 50" plasma available.

·
Super Moderator
21,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G
It's unfortunate a newbie has to see this kind of response with no further explanation.

I see no rainbows on my 50" Fujitus. I don't recall any post describing such an artifact. And I have NO clue as to what "phosphor decay effects" mean in relationship to the Fujitsu.

As Pooper said, do a search. There is a wealth of information on the Fujitsu 50". It is uniformly considered to be the best 50" plasma available.

agreed

please don't judge the P50 performance on a DVD source: DVD's are SD: not HD

If you bought a new P50/40, please feed a good HD source to it via component video or DVI and take another look

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Two (2) people reported on AVS about seeing rainbows on plasmas due to slower green phosphor decay.

I do not believe it is a widespread phenomenon, unlike DLP rainbows.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G
Unfortunately sdk is not the only one as I see Rainbows on my P50XHA40US, and I think this is the phosphor decay effect that he refers to. I also believe some people are more sensitive to this than others.

In addition I do see banding and the occasonal interlacing artifact although I have seen these worse on other screens, e.g. PW6 and Pioneer 505XDE.

However, I am generally very happy with the panel although I would buy a video proceessor if I had the money.

/goes back to lurking

·
23,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahmorak
Unfortunately sdk is not the only one as I see Rainbows on my P50XHA40US, and I think this is the phosphor decay effect that he refers to. I also believe some people are more sensitive to this than others.

In addition I do see banding and the occasonal interlacing artifact although I have seen these worse on other screens, e.g. PW6 and Pioneer 505XDE.

However, I am generally very happy with the panel although I would buy a video proceessor if I had the money.

/goes back to lurking
I think I recall some people mentioning rainbows with the new Panny plasmas (P50 uses Panny glass, so...). It's either something new or a person being sensitive to something the plasma does when producing video. Could be a combination of sensitivity and viewing environment. And also throw in calibration differences. If you haven't already, choose a different viewing mode than "dynamic", or whatever it's called now, and turn off any other "automatic picture adjusting" features. This may make a difference for you. AFA an external scaler, save your money, it's not needed. You won't see a difference except possibly if you use an external deinterlacer for DVDs. Hopefully you can tweak the P50 so as not to see the rainbows and really enjoy it.

How close do you sit?

larry

·
Registered
401 Posts
I too see the rainbow effect on my P50XHA40US. Never saw it on my previously owned p50 30 series. I also see a strange artifact where on occasion if the image on the panel is for example a close-up of a persons face, when they move to the left or right, sometimes their face doesn't stay in sync (certain facial features, forehead for example takes a split second longer to move with the rest of the face until it snaps back). I have noticed if I turn off noise reduction the effect is very sublte if at all noticable.

Lexus - The best thing for you to do is to get out and compare panels. If I was in the market today, I would take a close look at Pioneer and Panasonic too. Also note that usually this time of year you hear noise of the next Fuji panel which typically comes out in Sept./Oct but I'm not sure if a new one is on the horizon.

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1
I also see a strange artifact where on occasion if the image on the panel is for example a close-up of a persons face, when they move to the left or right, sometimes their face doesn't stay in sync (certain facial features, forehead for example takes a split second longer to move with the rest of the face until it snaps back).
Trippy... :eek:

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
I too see the rainbow effect on my P50XHA40US. Never saw it on my previously owned p50 30 series. I also see a strange artifact where on occasion if the image on the panel is for example a close-up of a persons face, when they move to the left or right, sometimes their face doesn't stay in sync (certain facial features, forehead for example takes a split second longer to move with the rest of the face until it snaps back). I have noticed if I turn off noise reduction the effect is very sublte if at all noticable.
The plasma has no idea of the contents of the image it's showing. If this artifact is related to the plasma, you should see it more frequently and on just about every average scene. Can you explain why it only occurs on close ups of faces?

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
The plasma has no idea of the contents of the image it's showing. If this artifact is related to the plasma, you should see it more frequently and on just about every average scene. Can you explain why it only occurs on close ups of faces?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am currently looking at the Pioneer and Panasonic 50'sa But was offered a very good deal through a friend where the fujitsu is only 400.00 more than the Panasonic . If I am correct the Fujitsu comes with a Three year warranty and panasonic one year.

·
23,031 Posts
Quote:
I have noticed if I turn off noise reduction the effect is very sublte if at all noticable.
Bingo. :) I hope Fujitsu hasn't gone overboard with some type of processing that can't be turned off. Jav1, what "display mode" do you use on the P50?

Lexus,

The Fujitsu has a 1 year plasma panel/glass (the part made by Panasonic) warranty and 3 years for the electronics. Last I checked.

larry

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a P55XHA40US that I just bought - had a Sony briefly before it (not great) and this display is amazing. I know it's a slightly different animal than the 50 (Panasonic glass) since it utilizes home grown glass hence worse blacks but I find this issue overrated. No rainbows or any other strange artifacts to speak of and I've looked for anything odd since the 50" Sony I had was defective. On the Sony I noticed "green moss" and other artifacts a lot (the defect was constant image retention).

I have a cheapie LG dvd/vcr combo upconverting unit hooked up to it and DVDs look like HD broadcasts almost always depending on the quality of the DVD but even poor quality ones look good and believe it or not, VHS is watchable and sometimes actually looks good. Needless to say HD is outstanding - looking very 3-D.

Go for the Fujitsu - you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got my P50 right before the Tar Heels won the NCAA championship, so I haven't had it for a year yet. That said, this display beats all of the competition I've seen. I took the time to set it up with Avia and have been very happy with the performance. No rainbows on faces or other problems with the display. Not being a videophile, we were looking for a great display that would last us for years and provide great home theater. My room is definitely not large enough for a projector, so 50 inches really is the max for me.

It still aggravates me that I essentially had to buy this on the recommendation of my salesman at the local B&M, but I couldn't be happier. Not sure about Fujitsu's longevity in the PDP market, but I really hope they stick around. They'll continue to earn my money when I need to upgrade/expand.

To my untrained eye, the Fujitsu edges out the Pannys (haven't seen the latest, to be honest). If the cost differential is a push to you, I think the P50 is a great choice.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Fujitsu realized that they were an overpriced sinking ship in the increasingly competitive PDP market and sold their interests to Hitachi.

In my humble opinion if you've got money to burn, the Pio Elites are the top shelf PDPs - and I only own Panasonic plasmas. :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.