AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been unable to get these two to "play together" very well. I found that after many hours of trying to get proper adjustments, I liked the display better (fewer artifacts) without the scaler (HD Leeza).

The sources I tried were the SDI enabled Panasonic RP-62 sold by Key Digital and a Dish Network 811 (HD source-DVI output).

Has anyone here been able to get the Fujitsu PDS5004 and HD Leeza to work well together?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've never tried an HD Leeza, but I was in a local high-end A/V shop a while back and someone was returning one of these boxes. All I remember is the customer shaking his head and saying "Key Digital has a lot of work to do". Perhaps they have yet to work all of the kinks out of their scaler.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That may have been a unit with older firmware. I thought some (many?) of the issues people were having were "fixed" with the current firmware. The unit I saw on display was connected (via DVI) to a recent 50" Runco plasma and it worked very well--good enough to convince me to purchase the Leeza.

As I said, it just doesn't want to "play together" with my Fujitsu plasma.

·
23,030 Posts
I believe the reason why Fujitsu plasmas and external scalers have "issues" is that

the plasmas don't allow "true" native rate/resolution. The Fujitsu "scaler" is not bypassed

even when you feed it what appears to be native rate. There was a big discussion

last year about this same thing and later regarding getting a Bravo D1 to feed

the P50 "native rate" via DVI. The Runco plasma may leave native rate DVI input

pass untouched as much as can be until time to lite the phosphors.

larry

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I agree with Larry. As best as I can tell, no matter what comes into the Fujitsu, it all gets rescaled by AVM. Unless I missed something somewhere, an external scaler simply means that it is getting scaled twice, which is not going to help at all.

That said, the use of DVI is advantageous when it allows you to bypass the scaler in the source unit so the image only gets scaled by AVM in the Fujitsu. I use DVI from my STB set to bypass. That way the hi-def signal (usually 1080i) only gets rescaled to the native rate once by AVM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.