AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Blu Ray player and some discs.. This is the first time i'm seeing or noticing some discs like Spider Man 3 and Donnie Brasco have FULL 1080 listed on the back as well as 1080P listed in the specs. However, the picture is sooo much clearer than a disc that does not say it's FULL 1080.. Anyone know the difference? Why the picture seems to be so much better? I thought all 1080P resolution should produce the same picture quality?

·
Registered
821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco5710 /forum/post/12990913

I recently purchased a Blu Ray player and some discs.. This is the first time i'm seeing or noticing some discs like Spider Man 3 and Donnie Brasco have FULL 1080 listed on the back as well as 1080P listed in the specs. However, the picture is sooo much clearer than a disc that does not say it's FULL 1080.. Anyone know the difference? Why the picture seems to be so much better? I thought all 1080P resolution should produce the same picture quality?

As far as I knew, Full 1080 or Full HD is just a marketing term for 1080p. So that would make them the same thing.

But maybe someone else knows differently.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

Quote:

There is no difference.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

Quote:

It has to do with the transfer itself.

Both Spiderman 3 and Donnie Brasco are known to have excellent A+ transfers. That has nothing to do with it being labeled 1080p of Full HD.

If all you care about is a great picture, forget the labels, and check the tier thread right here on AVS.

The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is in the actual picture. I don't have a camera to take pictures but there is definitely a difference in picture clarity above the discs that don't have FULL 1080. If you can check out either of those discs or another one that states FULL 1080. It can't be either of my tvs that are improving or decreasing the quality of the other discs.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper /forum/post/12991098

It has to do with the transfer itself.

Both Spiderman 3 and Donnie Brasco are known to have excellent A+ transfers. That has nothing to do with it being labeled 1080p of Full HD.

If all you care about is a great picture, forget the labels, and check the tier thread right here on AVS.

The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray

Thanks. Will check it out. Whatever it is, it blows my mind.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchasd hustle and flow- mostly cause I like the movie but the picture doesn't compare to the Donnie Brasco one bit. Kind of upseting.. I could've saved a few bucks and purchased the standard DVD. This is gona stop me from spending more money on these lower tier movies... Appreciate it.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
"FULL HD" or "FULL 1080" is a marketing term. Nothing more. Differences beyond that are simply due to movies having better or worse transfers. (and source content)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Besides that Pier list, anyway of knowing from the specs of the movie which ones would fall in which tier?

·
Registered
368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco5710 /forum/post/12991610

Besides that Pier list, anyway of knowing from the specs of the movie which ones would fall in which tier?

No, not really. Some MPEG-2 Blu-ray titles are some of the best PQ's out there. But it's generally accepted as fact that VC-1 and AVC codecs produce a superior PQ but if the transfer isn't great, the encode will look bad. So you can't really tell by specs which will look the best.

·
Registered
191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco5710 /forum/post/12991218

I purchasd hustle and flow- mostly cause I like the movie but the picture doesn't compare to the Donnie Brasco one bit. Kind of upseting.. I could've saved a few bucks and purchased the standard DVD. This is gona stop me from spending more money on these lower tier movies... Appreciate it.

Hustle & Flow was shot on 16mm so it won't look as pristine as a movie shot on 35mm. There is no difference between "Full HD" and 1080P. You shouldn't compare different movies this way.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:

Full 1080 and 1080p are different terms describing the exact same thing. It's the equivalent of car and automobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco5710 /forum/post/12991610

All movies are filmed differently. Basically if a movie didn't look as good as another movie on say standard DVD, it will most likely be that way in high-definition. High-definition doesn't magically make movie crystal clear with no blemishes. Thats all based on the master that it used.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco5710 /forum/post/12991100

There is in the actual picture. I don't have a camera to take pictures but there is definitely a difference in picture clarity above the discs that don't have FULL 1080. If you can check out either of those discs or another one that states FULL 1080. It can't be either of my tvs that are improving or decreasing the quality of the other discs.

coincidence

1 - 14 of 14 Posts