AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved a discussion I was having on the HTPC thread over here because it was getting into projector selection.

1. Are their any reasonably priced 1440 x 920 projectors ? (Sub 7K street ?)

2. Will the source material 35mm film to 1080i on HBO-HD really benefit much at this res vs 1366 x 768 ?

Is the Sanyo PLV-60HT the sweet spot for HD Viewing ?

I have a dark room 10' wide screen interested in viewing HDTV - which is currently HDNET and Showtime HBO HD. No sit-coms, or TV for that matter -just film and documentaries and material for young children.

So whats the sweet spot ? THe Hitachi 5500 (4:3 = wasted pixels) or the Sanyo ? Imagine this could be had for 4200.00 or so ??

Have an HTPC. And a Mitsubishi X80u

Any thoughts ?

Last few posts detailed below:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=142665

"Best Graphics Card for for HD Geforce4 Or Radeon"

Transcript of last three or four posts:

The x80u is 1024x768 native meaning anything you put into it will scale to that rez. Worse yet, most HD is 16:9 aspect, this proj is 4:3 which means any 16:9 HD will not use full panel further decreasing your available native rez - there will be "black" bars on the top and/or bottom depending on the setup and these pixels will not be used. Do you watch DVD's on this set up?

Your MatroxG400 is a good vid card, but (now that the gamma is fixed - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=142843 ) the Radeon 8500 may be the vid card you may want. Then get it modded for SDI and mod the sat receiver for SDI.

My Home Theater System

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Today 03:29 AM

ahagen

1024 x 768 and SDI

1. Is there a faq on moding for SDI ?

2. Do you suggest I change projectors ? To what ? The SX5500 seems to be the step up. It has 1365 x 1024.

Now with DVD you have a native res of 720 x 480. (.35 Megapixel) an XGA projector can do .75 Megapixel.

How many pixels is 1080i ? Supposedly roughly 1900 X 1000. But I believe that due to interlacing you are really getting half this amount or 1 Megapixel. So with a 4:3 native I am losing 25% of the pixels. Or net .591 megapixel. Whereas with 1366 x 768 I would be getting 1 full megapixel. If I am correct that the maximum pixels of interlaced 1080i is megapixel. It would seem a 16:9 WXGA projector would be the ideal.

What say you ?

Alex

Mitsu X80U

1) HTPC Dual Athlon XP1900+ MatroxG400

2) Networked Storage Server for Divx AVI

3) Hughes E86 HDTV DDS DirecTV HD

LOGITECH Z560 THX

Harmon Kardon Receiver

SwitchBox with 4 Pairs of Speakers

CableModem

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Today 04:16 AM

ramick

Advanced Member

I haven't seen any FAQ re moding for SDI. I don't suggest anything except for seeing whatever you want to buy after doing a large amount of reasearch on the web.

True, DVD is "only" 720x480" interlaced BTW. But interpolation with HTPC is very good. I would try for 1440x960p if I could.

1080i is 1920x1080i, but most displays want progressive, so they deinterlace the signal.

Please don't start the 4:3 proj vs. 16:9 proj war as this is not the point. If you would like to address this, please start another thread and I would be more than willing to respond, or PM me and I will try to help, but just using me as a resource is not a good idea - that's why this forum exists, alot of people who are much smarter in this area than I.

There are alot of very good projectors out there (much better than mine - so don't put too much weight behind anything I post).

It all depends upon what you want. I won't get into all of the ups and downs of each type of proj, but what do you want? HD? Well most of it is 1.85 or 1.78. DVD? Most is 16:9, alot is 2.35 and there is still a large number of 1.33.

Your topic was what video card GF4 or Rad - I'm sorry for taking this thread OT, but I whought you should know all of the other things that effect this decision.

I have sent you PM.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
WOW! Quick.

Anyway, what do you want to view, and at what percentage:

HD - 16:9 4:3 (survivor is in 4:3)

DVD - 4:3, 16:9 (1.78, 1.85), 2.35

anything else, games, ...

Be careful of wishing for the moon unless you have the funds to get there :).

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
OK. So you have some options:

Do you really want a projector - do you have TOTAL light control, are you budgeting for a screen, ...?

You stated the size of the room before but it might be good to do it again in this thread. Where would you like to sit? What do you expect - artifacts? Have you read about the diff types of projs (LCOS, LCD, D-ILA, DLP, CRT, ... [if I left any out - don't flame, just post])?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. The projector should be redeployable (In case we some day move) i.e. it should not be chosen due to the room too specifically.

2. The room is a two car converted garage. about 20 x 20. The screen is surrounded by cedar log walls and a white ceiling.

3. I'm not ready for CRT. (Or the expense in the bay area of having it calibrated).

4. I am open to all the other technologies. Although it seems like we may need to googlize the forum, (Have searches based on number of references to the post) in that getting the lowdown on LCOS vs D-ILA both of which I do not yet know about may be time-consuming. But I am convinced that LCD is "safer" then DLP, unless the DLP colorwheel is high-speed and multi-speed. From what I can tell the Mitsu X80U is one of the best 4:3 1024 x 768 projectors made. So the motivation to change would be based on selling it for 2.4K Or so and buying (probably) a Sanyo 60HT. for 4100.00 taking a 1700 hit for the upgrade. Time frame: Aug 15.

5. My main interest is creating a multimedia bus, that would connecting various equipment together allowing software hardware and raw feeds from the outside world to interact. Sometimes the process itself is more interesting than actually watching the content !!

6. I have a Dalite 10" wide screen white 1.5 gain.

7. Artifacts, rainbowing, etc. Not good. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't dedicated to the ultimate multimedia experience.....

Cheers

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I told you to be careful about cost - you so want the world :).

I would assume you meant 10' wide and 1.5 gain. The next thing is how much and what do you want for it ($)? Since this will be in a "two car converted garage. about 20 x 20" you still have a lot of options - throw, ANSI lumines, ... Does the area have any windows - Do you have TOTAL light control?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would assume you meant 10' wide and 1.5 gain.

Correct

The next thing is how much and what do you want for it ($)? Since this will be in a "two car converted garage. about 20 x 20" you still have a lot of options - throw, ANSI lumines, ... Does the area have any windows - Do you have TOTAL light control?

Near Total Light Control. Its a pretty darn dark room.

I think it is a matter of price performance: I see no reason why 4K and a little more wouldn'nt do it. I have found the Sanyo PLV-60HT for about 4K.

Alex

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The Sanyo PLV-60HT is a very good proj - maybe even better than mine :).

Don't post any flames that won't be constructive!!!

Go see this proj with your HTPC and maybe screen and others.

Also, consider that this (and other proj) can be "tweaked". My 10HT has a CC30R filter and has been "SMARTed" (Steve Smallcome sp?). The 60HT can also be tweaked in this way.

Don't dismiss DLT or D-ILA. With the current crop of DLT most (?) users don't see rainbows (I do); D-ILA is looking pretty good (G150!).

Also, please be aware that when you blow up something like divx or even DVD to 10' wide you may not be happy.

[Edit]

Corrected sp of smarted

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you mean DLP ? What is DLT ? I have only heard it for Digital Tape Libraries (ie. DLT IV)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'm sorry, using an RF keyboard (10 feet back and through a cabinet) and not checking my spelling is probably not a good idea - DLP, I have no ideal what DLT would be re projectors :).

I am currently looking at the new JVC DILA - this may be out of your range, but it looks on paper to be a good proj.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife is not amused by this hobby. I will try to sell the X80 for 2200 and get something else for 3700 on August 15 2002 or Feb 15 2003. So its probably out of my range. Which model ?

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Alex,

If you stopped smoking you might be able to spend more $$ on the PJ.

;)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaViD Boulet
Alex,

If you stopped smoking you might be able to spend more $$ on the PJ.

;)
LOL!

Don't worry, since he lives in the bay area it won't be too long before we make it illegal to have a picture of him smoking in public. ;)

BTW It is great here you can actually smell and taste your food in restaurants and you don't smell like a ashtray when you go to a bar.

Alex, you know smoking is bad for your projectors health. :)

B

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I haven't heard of anyones projector getting cancer but...

I did hear that back in the 1950s or something that some scientists did some experiments or something and realized that smoking DID cause cancer in humans.

Alex, are you human?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ahagen
I am quitting July 1. :eek:

How bad do you think smoking is for my projectors health ?
To be serious for a second, and I have no real evidence on this but, I would think that the fine particles in the smoke would make it through the air filters and leave deposits on bulb, optics and electronics. All of which are bad places to have gunk on. I think I remember some exchanges about digital projectors for bars and the smoke being bad for the projector. It would make sense that smoke would be bad, they put air filters on them to keep out dirt, smoke is mostly ultra fine soot and after looking at the filter on my projector (it is like a thin sponge) I don't think it could stop much smoke from reaching the projector internals. Smoke seems like a real efficient way of getting dirt and gunk into the internals of the projector.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Back on topic - maybe a used JVC G15? I have seen them for ~6K now, but as the G150 just came out, this may come down to 4-5K in the next 6 months. A little over your budjet, but maybe doable.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found a "B" line MT7 for 2995.00 shhh.. Whadya 'think...It don't get a whole lot better than that price/pixel..

I am waiting to find out what's "B" about it and return policy...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.