AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a crazy month. A few weeks ago my mother-in-law was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Then about three weeks ago I made the decision to walk away from my startup since my parent company was faltering and we could not raise enough money to sustain the operation until the product was completed. This was extremely painful since all of the patents were being processed in my name and the invention (digital privacy management object model and extensible privacy markup language) was really something I had dreamt up over two years and had become my baby. So to see it all slip away so quickly was a pretty highly emotional experience. Toss in the mother-in-law situation and you could say that I’ve had a bit of stress in my life.

Now for the good news. I’ve decided to take the plunge into the home theater market and have joined forces with Alan Gouger to form a new company, Immersive, Inc. Moreover, I’ve been truly blessed in that Mark Hunter has decided to exclusively license Colorfacts, DILARD (and some other stuff) to Immersive under our “Optimagery™†brand and he and I have been very busy putting together some very big deals that will surprise you all. So, in some ways, thanks to Mark, I’m still involved with software and the “technical-creativity†stuff I loved while working in the computer industry for over 16 years.

The other facet of Immersive will be in the hardware arena where we have some exciting enhancement technologies that I cannot talk about yet. I don’t want to overhype this stuff, but it is pretty darn cool. In addition, we will be distributing products that compliment the OEM channels we are building, such as the Vigatec. In the end though, you can all be assured I will be a royal pain in the a$$ and a stickler for quality. Of course, I can imagine there may be some manufacturers that will cut me off the minute I criticize their product, but I hope to continue to have some small impact on product improvements and quality.

The third facet of Immersive will have to do with the Internet. No, we won't necessarily sell products we represent over the Internet. It will depend on the product and the manufacturer. For the most part we will be focusing on delivering unique products to custom installers and dealers that compliment existing sales channels. The Internet will instead be used primarily to facilitate the flow of information - product research, private beta forums, little innovative products that emerge from forum members, a private dealer forum, and manufacturer support forums. It will be tied to avsforum in some ways, but frankly Alan and I really don’t want to commercialize avsforum – its far better off being a more open forum for enthusiast.

So, that is it at a very very high level. Obviously, there will be much more to come and CEDIA should be pretty big for us. Our website will be at www.immersiveinc.com and our forum will be at (still a work in progress) http://immersive.idealbb.net

One final thing: I know that folks are waiting for my review update to the scaler review and even a Panamorph/ISCO II shootout. I will leave it up to you all as to whether or not I should post my findings on the Rock+, Faroudja NR+, and the newest Vigatec Dune. Since Immersive is the exclusive importer of the Vigatec and we do not sell the Rock+ or Faroujda, whether I like it or not my credibility is sunk. I have already written a review and forwarded it to TAW and they have approved of my findings. The Faroujda NR+ arrived yesterday and I’m close to posting it already. The new Dune will be here soon as well. I’d like to think I’m level headed enough to finish off the review in an unbiased way. But if you all think its not worth posting I certainly can understand why you’d be a bit jaded by my review knowing I’m now in the business.

Take care –

Tom Strade

President & CEO

Immersive, Inc. www.immersiveinc.com

[This message has been edited by tommyboy2 (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Good luck in your new endeavour. I hope this doesn't mean that we can't get Mark Hunter's products over the Internet.

Mark?

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
Tom, Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!In my few times talking to you and exchanging emails you have been a great help and taken the time to answer my questions. I know you will do well in your new venture. Combined with the great service I've gotton from AVScience it sounds like a sure bet.

All the best

Scott

·
Registered
107 Posts
I, for one, would like to see you post the results of your scaler and panny/ISCO tests. The fact that you've made this disclosure certainly does a lot for credibility (although I don't think it was ever in question). Hope the new venture goes well.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Best wishes in your new efforts, and of course I'd love to see your review

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
683 Posts
Tom - you have been a very big asset to all of us members here at the Forum. The VERY best to you,( and Alan of course), in your new endeavors. Reed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tom,

Best of luck!

I too would appreciate the reviews, and not only appreciate your objectivity but feel your disclaimer is testimony to that objectivity.

Dick

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Although I've known about this for a while...a big public congrats from me! I hope to be able to play a part in your future successes.

Ken Elliott, I have made clear in all of my new business dealings that promises I have made to customers in the past must continue to be upheld with the new ventures. Free upgrades to Dilard will continue to be fully supported, and will continue to be delivered.

This policy may or may not be able to be extended to future customers, but those folks that took a risk on an unknown product from an unknown company will continue to be rewarded for their faith in the vision.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
tommyboy:

let me add my wish for the best of luck to you; i'm always eager to read whatever you have the time and interest to post. Vigatec is lucky to have you.

jlm

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I nominate Bob Wood for CFO of the new company.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Mark,

The product I'm most interested is Colorfacts. Unfortunately it hasn't been offered yet and now it sounds like it won't be publicly available.

I'll probably sell my DILA so DILARD is of limited use unless it starts working with real bright Sanyos or clones thereof.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
115 Posts
T-Boy,

Good luck! I'll keep the fires lit in the IT consulting / Web development trenches burning. 8 years and counting - and I KNOW you made a good decision!

CucMan

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ken, Colorfacts will still be offered publicly. In fact, there will be a very special offer extended to forum members very soon as a pre-buy. The product is very near completion and we will announce things soon.

Tom

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Tom, I know you'll stand tall in this trying time. It's a sign of strong character that you're willing to look for the silver lining.

As for the can-you-trust-my-biased-perspective-business--I think I speak for all when I say not to flatter it with another thought. When you're fair-minded and looking to do the right thing, you overcome the biases. Hell, there are some judges I encounter in courts who, because of their fundamentally fair nature, lean far over to the opposite side just to counteract the notion of bias (unfortunately, there are some that don't). Sort of like a little league umpire who calls strike three, and the batter turns around and says, "Dad!"

I have little doubt you'll be a good judge. Please continue to favor us with your efforts.

Nick http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Nicholas (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Thanks for the good word on Colorfacts, I'll be looking forward to the power buy.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Tommyboy,

You're not alone in the turmoil. I had lots of terrible luck ($46,000 LOSS) last year from a failed startup. Only because my fruits of my efforts with TAW, I'm beginning to recover and pay down debts.

I wish you great luck in your new endeavour; however, I strongly feel that the review must be posted, regardless of your involvement with Immersion. We sent you a ROCK+ with that understanding, didn't we? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif So that means I insist you post the review! What you can do is add a disclaimer at the end.

kelliot,

>>I'll probably sell my DILA

If you sell your DILA, let me know! I may be in the market for a discounted DILA before Xmas after some more prior financial obligiations are paid down (with revenue from TAW, of course). Not right at this moment however, it'll have to be a little later in the future!

------------------

Thanks,

Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com/hometheater
Lead Software Engineer for The TAW ROCK

[This message has been edited by Mark Rejhon (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Tommyboy2,

I lurked way too long before i joined so we have never had any discussions in the forum. That said, I read your posts with enthusiam and applaud your candor. I, for one, do not have any reason to believe your ethic could have changed since it seems to stem from the passion you show for this work. So, YES POST the SCALER UPDATE, especially since it appears you have already done a bunch of the work.

A hearty three cheers of hip hip hooray to you for taking a new plunge so quickly - and in this arena as well! Self starters just have to re-boot.

Best of wishes to your family.

------------------

plug in to play

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Tom,

Hang in there! We hope everything turns around business-wise and family health-wise!

Will your company do SDI mods to DSS and DVD players?

Will you attempt a SDI mod to the Faroudja NRS if you think it is doable??

Thanks, Mark

------------------

mark

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Congratulations on the new opportunity! I know the pitfalls of a startup so can empathize. I hope the new company will have great financial success and please post your reviews. Your opinions are respected and I think everyone knows you have the highest ethical standards.

------------------

John
My HT Picts

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.