AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago I started a thread here that you will remember about this. At the time we were all brainstorming how nice it would be to have letterbox on one side, and anamorphic on the other for us CIH guys. As we are seeing, there were other ideas for the other side of the disc. But...does the anouncement this week of HD-DVD finding a way to expand its disc capacity to 51 GB open a new opportunity? The two versions could be on layers rather than sides. Of course BD has the capacity.

And who would we suggest this to that would listen?

· One-Man Content Creator
25,589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey /forum/post/0

I think that any such changes/enhancements would have to be shown to be advantageous/marketable to the average user...I don't think CIH is a blip on their radar.

I'm not a CIH (or even projector) guy, but I do spy on your forum from time to time.

Encoding black bars on a disc seems aesthetically, theoretically offensive to me, but this is perhaps an old programming reflex where we always stuffed as much data into as small a place as possible. I would have made aspect ratio (I mean the x-y scaling) a variable on HD discs.

It's probably not terribly important in practice. Well, maybe for BEN HUR.

-Bill

· Registered
6,308 Posts

Quote:
Encoding black bars on a disc seems aesthetically, theoretically offensive to me, but this is perhaps an old programming reflex where we always stuffed as much data into as small a place as possible. I would have made aspect ratio (I mean the x-y scaling) a variable on HD discs.

I think encoding the black bars is a pointless waste of space, myself, but I still think the makers would need a marketable reason for anamorphic encoding to matter on 16:9 fixed-pixel displays.

I guess the anamorphic 4:3 SD DVD spec was conjured up at a time when the transition to 16:9 displays was occuring, or at least forseeable as a mass phenomenon. Regardless of my own personal enthusiasm for it, I harbor no such hope for 2.35:1.

· Registered
3,612 Posts
CJplay (when he was around) claimed that anamorphic would be doable with the existing tools and some scripting changes in the workflow.

It would take some searching but I believe he started a thread to that effect.

This would mean there would be no need for double sided discs, simply the will to do it.

Here's the thread.

ted

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.