AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an article on the Arcam AVR300 for Widescreen Review, Peter Moncrieff seems to clearly differentiate between Dolby Pro Logic llx for 2 channel sound and Dolby Digital Pro Logic llx for surround sound processing and makes a big point about how valuable both items are.

My question is not about the Arcam per sec, but about DPLllx as it is specified for many current model receivers. Most manufacturers simply say DPLllx in their specs. Does this cover all of the functionality that Peter was talking about or might there be full (e.g. Arcam) and less than full implementations of this relatively new Dolby mode in some receivers?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
DPLllx is DPLllx. Dolby sets the rules and it's all the same.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I didn't see the article, but I don't there are any differences in PL IIx implementations in the sense that you are asking.

However, I think there are "less than full" implementations in the sense that they don't offer adjustment of 3 parameters - center width, dimension and panorama - for PL IIx music mode with 2 channel input.

Ed

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ekb,

Sorry, the article was so widely discussed on this forum I assumed people would be familiar with it although it was mainly in Arcam oriented threads. My oversight.

A copy (pdf) is at: http://www.aslgroup.com/arcam/AVR300...reenReview.pdf and the area I was referring to is pages 4 and 5. There is a longer HTML version at http://www.iar-80.com/page130.html (page 133 for the first reference) if you could wade through to find the detail. The point is he seems to differentiate between DPLllx for 2 channel enhancement and D Digital PLllx for 5.1, hence my question.

I am somewhat new at this and have read other other articles referring to "full" implementations of Dolby. Thus I put 2 and 2 together but perhaps I got 3. I didn't want to buy a new receiver and then find that I hadn't obtained a full implementation.

·
Registered
30,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpm
he seems to differentiate between DPLllx for 2 channel enhancement and D Digital PLllx for 5.1
Those are two different processes that go under the same name. But whenever I have seen a manufacturer say that their receiver or processor has PLIIx, it's always been both parts. I have yet to run into a situation where the mention of PLIIx on a spec sheet means either the 2-channel version OR the 5.1-channel version.

Sanjay

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
The only differences in current DPLIIx implementation on current receivers is that all will allow Dolby Digital signals to be processed in PLIIx but not all allow DTS to be processed in PLIIx.

DD+PLIIx seems to be a Dolby licensing requirement. DTS+PLIIx is up to the DSP manufacturer.

I said "seems to be" - as Sanjay points out, there doesn't seem to be any "2-channel-sources only" PLIIx equipment out there, but they could exist.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpm
Peter Moncrieff seems to clearly differentiate between Dolby Pro Logic llx for 2 channel sound and Dolby Digital Pro Logic llx for surround sound processing and makes a big point about how valuable both items are.
Not the first time (and won't be the last) that PM glosses over the technical details as he waxes poetic on why a particular piece of gear is the greatest implementation of engineering in the history of solid state design. That is, until the next piece is the greatest...

John

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraoch
The only differences in current DPLIIx implementation on current receivers is that all will allow Dolby Digital signals to be processed in PLIIx but not all allow DTS to be processed in PLIIx.

DD+PLIIx seems to be a Dolby licensing requirement. DTS+PLIIx is up to the DSP manufacturer.
The decision to include DPL2x for post-processing with a DTS 5.1 is up to each brand not the DSP supplier... As you may recall some earlier AVRs Pioneer AVRs excluded this feature. From an implementation task it is a staright forward system deciison as the post-processing section of the DSP has this capability and the AVR designer then makes the choice for processing with a DTS stream or not...

Regarding Dolby Digital decoders it is required..

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code
The decision to include DPL2x for post-processing with a DTS 5.1 is up to each brand not the DSP supplier... As you may recall some earlier AVRs Pioneer AVRs excluded this feature. From an implementation task it is a staright forward system deciison as the post-processing section of the DSP has this capability and the AVR designer then makes the choice for processing with a DTS stream or not...

Regarding Dolby Digital decoders it is required..
Ah OK.

In terms of mass-market receivers, unfortunately it seems that Marantz is the last hold out. I had a 7400, I now have an 8400. Neither can process DTS+PLIIx. The current x500 units can't either. I thought it was because I went from an AD DSP in a Denon AVR to a Cirrus DSP in the Marantz.

The good news is that DD and DTS sound about the same on these units and don't have the pronounced differences my Denon units exhibited.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all,

This has been very really interesting and helpful.

The Marantz SR8500 is on my shortlist to upgrade my current receiver and whilst the lack of ability to run DTS+PLllx is not critical, it is something else to know and continues my education. How would one know it it were not for a forum like this?

Even in that Arcam article, Peter limits his discussion to the 'Dolby family' and does not state if the DTS+PLllx applies for the AVR300 which I will also be considering. Let alone the Denons and Yammies etc. Is it only Marantz that does not allow this currently?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
M Code,

As an extension of butterbars question and from your comment above, even if the AVR300 (or any other receiver for that matter) did not currently implement DPLIIx over DTS, are you saying they could in the future say by a software update?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.