AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an outdoor event that happens multiple times a year from 10AM until 11AM. It's outside in a large field with no trees or shade.

I am working on trying to improve our projector setup. Right now we have an older panny 3500lum and a d-light 9ftx6ft screen (not sure of the gain) with the full sun shining almost directly down on it at 11:00am it gets really difficult to see. We are using the projector to display lyrics so it does not have to be fine detail.

We have tried putting a large circus style tent over the screen and it helped a little but not much. We need people to be able to see the screen and read the text from about 75ft away.

How much might it cost to get a projector that would be able to display text in manner you can read from 75ft away in full sunlight? just trying to get an idea here, can we do it for less than 10k.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
As anyone will tell you it's a losing battle with front projection in the direct sun. But if you are willing to spend $10,000 and use the setup that often, maybe a set of modular LED panels made for just that kind of brightness could be purchased. I have an email in to my son who is in that industry to see what cost for lower resolution, not most expensive panels would be, since you're only doing lyrics. Am guessing though might require 220 on the electricity. Will post again when I hear back.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
^^ Off the top of his head because he said he was not really "the" person to ask for pricing..... $10,000 sounded low. And that was not talking about processing. Pretty much surprised me. I though for 6' x 9' how many tiles and how much could they cost? A lot apparently. He got me into E3 this year and I spent some time with him and his crew in their secret space behind the huge wall they had up. Every tile has techy looking stuff on the back that you can see feeding the on / off blinking and colors on the front.

OK how about a very deep sunshade done with a "well thought out" but inexpensive dark colored tarp or multiple tarps rig coming forward with as much width as the size of your audience dictates, and your screen at the rear. Then get an even slightly larger screen if it would help..... and with your 3500 lumen projector in the shade of that shadow box effect....I would think that would be pretty decent. You could talk to AVS about the screen and easy I am just guessing should come in under $1,500 maybe with a stand or can-be-assembled stand. Talk to Mark H.

Edit: I'm not suggesting everyone in audience needs or even wants to be under this tarp. Just create a decent, deep shadow box for the screen and make it wide enough for your audience's seating's line of sight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF /forum/post/20864621

Front or rear you would still have the sun wiping out images on the side the audience sees without some kind of meaningful dark shade over the screen.

Good suggestions Ron...

sounds like there is really not a lot of projectors out there that can compete with direct sunlight. Maybe we should spend some money on a large 50x75ft shade cloth setup that fans out from the front of the projector screen, that would allow some of the audience to be shaded and also shade the screen.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
The sun is very bright. This has been posted a few times but it's quite interesting and applicable to a lot of our discussions:
http://msis.jsc.nasa.gov/sections/se...tm#_4.2_VISION

Of particular interest is the table of brightenesses. If you look at it, "White paper in sunlight", which is approximately what we're talking about, is about 10,000 ftL. Talking HT projectors, we're more often in the 10ftL range, so the sun is about one thousand times brighter than a typical projector.

Now light is additive, but that still only leaves about 1.001:1 contrast ratio. To compete directly with direct sunlight you'd need a huge number of lumens (10,000ftL on a 9x6 screen would be about a half million lumens).

You're probably going to want to do a combination of things. Shade is definitely going to be the biggest bang for the buck, getting the sun off the screen will help immensely.

Beyond that, you can get business class projectors with 5000-10,000 lumens for under your budget (especially if you don't need high resolution), and maybe look into a retroreflective screen. If you can have the projector roughly in line with the crowd, it will help keep most of the projector's light going back to the crowd while reflecting the ambient light back at it's source (away from the crowd).

But no matter what you do, fighting the sun is a losing battle.

I wonder if you could get some large, cheap LCD TVs and make some sort of video wall.

·
Banned
960 Posts
You definitely will not win.

In my opinion, your best chance is a high output projector, rear projection screen and a cover of some sort to at least block some of the light out.

I've done similar set ups and this was the only thing that gave me a decent image.

Would setting up some type of dark room behind the screen be an option so you could go rear projection and either flexible rear projection material or rigid material?

Benito

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
"and maybe look into a retroreflective screen"

Yes I also started to mention a slightly larger Hi Power screen but then immediately changed it because light drops off so severely once you are viewing outside the edges of the screen and have no idea of the size of his audience or shape of how they are seated.

And that tarp should be as opaque as possible of course.

·
Registered
17,911 Posts
If you could find one, the Christie Roadie HD+30K DLP digital projector at 30,000 lumens .. of course, they did sell for 150K new .. and weigh over 300 LBS .. but they are still carried by some rental companies ..

also, the Digital Projection LIGHTNING 45-1080p ...

Also, take a look at Starglas 60 ..

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
From a 75' viewing distance I would think you would need at least a 120" diagonal screen (roughly what you have now) and even then you would need to be using a very large font size for the text to be read from 75' away). In any case, If you were to use a very bright projector that puts out 5000 lumens (not the typical projector we talk about here for home theater use) you would get about 1100+ lux of light as measured at a 120" screen (assuming a 3X4 aspect ratio screen and projector). If you were using a larger screen the lux reading as measured at the screen position would be lower. Compare this to direct sunlight which is about 100,000 lux. So full sun light will be about 90 times as bright as what you could expect from using a very bright (e.g., 5000 lumens) business class projector with a 120" screen. (Ever wonder why drive-in movie theaters were never open in the daytime). Projection video is not really intended for this sort of application. There are flat panel electronic displays made specifically for such applications, but they can be expensive depending how large it is and what resolution you need.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Any other configuration options - say put 2 to 4 plasma HDTVs 25 feet from the group with the words on each?

Matt gray screen could help - but shade it is the must. I'm thinking sheets of plywood directly over the screen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.