AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone im totally new to the home theater scene and have been doing alot of reading and have taken notice to the complete Paradigm home theater systems particularly the studio 60 system including the paradigm center,surround and servo-15 sub,anyone have expierience or own this set-up id love to hear about what you think of it.

thanks Jamie

· Registered
259 Posts
Paradigm Speakers are awsome, Can't go wrong there.

I assume you are talking about v.4?

If you went with 60s upfront, cc-590 or cc-690. Either ADPs or 20s in the back, heck of a setup.

I personally feel thier subs are overpices, and you can do better elsewhere, but YMMV. Check out the Paradigm thread in this forum.

· Registered
7,338 Posts
Yeah the Studio's are great speakers...

Are you going for a 5.1 or 7.1 ?

What size is your room...?

As jwc13ac stated, I would look at a different sub, their subs are dated unless you are getting the latest rendition, but even then I doubt it would trump the SQ and SPL of an SVS Ultra13....

· Registered
398 Posts
I wouldn't get a Paradigm sub. Even the authorized retailer that I bought my equipment at didn't recommend their subs. I have the Monitor 9 v.5, CC-290 v.5, and Atom Monitor v.5. Once I get into a house I'll add a sub but it wont be a Paradigm.

· Registered
3,857 Posts
I recently upgraded all of my home theater speakers to Paradigm

and I am very happy that I did.I however did not get a Paradigm sub,

I am using an Infinity ps210 sub that I got on sale.

Fronts-Monitor 11

Center-cc-290

Surround-2 mini-monitors

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys glad to see some quick replies,as for the room size im unsure as we are buliding a new home in the near future and havn't decided just yet.As for the paradigm sub I kinda thought that they were only ok and I was actually considering a SVS sub but ive heard some people say that staying with all the same brand in a system is recommended.Would a Denon be a good AVR to power the studio 60 v4 system and if so which model?Any other recommendations for a AVR are welcome.

Jamie.

· Registered
47 Posts
PHP Code:
Code:
[CODE]ive heard some people say that staying with all the same brand in a system is recommended. 
[/CODE]
I think the general consensus about subs is that they do not need to be brand matched. Hsu Research/SVS/av123 make very good but large subs, and are very popular in this forum.

· Registered
1,290 Posts
I too am in the middle of making the same decision you are but I am looking at the Studio 100's for the front and the Studio CC-690 for the center and 2-Studio ADP-590's in the rear. I am adding up cost new and would mate them to my 4308 and hope that it would drive those system well enough with the front bi-amped.

Can anyone tell me if bi-amping the front would give the speakers anymore punch (power)? What AVR did you say you were using?

· Registered
934 Posts
It will be awhile before I can properly upgrade my audio and I have some exisiting Paradigm stuff but I want to go really high end later on with Paradigm. I see people here mention that they wouldn't get a Paradigm sub. Has anyone had a direct comparison with the Signature Servo sub compared to say the ULS-15 by Hsuresearch? On paper specs the Paradigm looks like it would be a fine sub. Do people find that the sub lacks though?

· Registered
299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canman1976 /forum/post/15417417

So im starting to see many use studio 20's for surrounds instead of the ADP's any benifit to this ???

The answer kinda depends on who's giving it. One school of thought, is if you listen to a lot of multi-channel music, and some theater, then direct surrounds are better.

I'm running 40s with a 690 up front, and 20s in the surrounds, and I just like the way it sounds. I'd say my system does 70% theater, 20% multichannel music, and 10% stereo music. I know you don't hear the words 'imaging' and 'surrounds' in the same sentence much, but after watching Dark Knight with my 20s... Wow. Side to side movement is incredible. Rear channel? Pffft... Don't need it with this kind of imaging. I could have sworn there was a speaker sitting directly behind me.

So, there's my two cents. Curious to see how others answer.

· Registered
7,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null /forum/post/15418864

The answer kinda depends on who's giving it. One school of thought, is if you listen to a lot of multi-channel music, and some theater, then direct surrounds are better.

I'm running 40s with a 690 up front, and 20s in the surrounds, and I just like the way it sounds. I'd say my system does 70% theater, 20% multichannel music, and 10% stereo music. I know you don't hear the words 'imaging' and 'surrounds' in the same sentence much, but after watching Dark Knight with my 20s... Wow. Side to side movement is incredible. Rear channel? Pffft... Don't need it with this kind of imaging. I could have sworn there was a speaker sitting directly behind me.

So, there's my two cents. Curious to see how others answer.

Right on.... also, it may depend on the size of the room. I run both, and they both have their merits. In a small room, ADP's on the side just work better for me, rather then a speaker hanging out 15" from the wall, but in my larger room - the 20's are farther away, and provide spectacular sound, being able to be very impactful and accurate, yet disperse. I really like the direct more, but the ADP's are pretty good.

I wouldn't go ADP's if I was a multichannel listener....

· Registered
23 Posts
I just setup my brother in-laws complete system. It consisted of an Onkyo 906, Studio 60's, CC590, 12" Siesmic Sub, Phase Metrics in-wall surrounds (already existing and he didn't want to replace them) and a Samsung LN52A750 LCD TV. I have to say that it's a pretty incredible system. Perfect for home theater. The imaging of the 60's/CC590 are amazing. I also think the sub is pretty incredible too. Long throw 12" w/ dual 10" PR, 4500W class D amp; it thumps pretty good. For reference, his room is 35' x 22' with 20' ceilings. I know the room is huge but the speakers handle it quite well.

Before locking in on the Paradigm's, I compared them to the B&W 6XX series. To me, there was no comparison granted they were a level up from the 6xx's. The Paradigms were just awesome. Night and day difference in imaging.

As for the sub, there have been a lot of comments saying not to get the Paradigm Sub. I personally don't have a problem with the capability of the sub. I am not a regular on this forum but the sub rates well in AVTalk forums.

Also, I think the 60's are a hidden gem of a speaker and prefer it over the 100's. Best of luck with your system. Let me know if you have any questions.

· Registered
299 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention... I also have a Sig. Servo on LFE and a Sunfire True Sub tied in with the 40's so they can run full range.

Quote:
Also, I think the 60's are a hidden gem of a speaker and prefer it over the 100's.

+1 on that! Both the 40s and 60s are often overlooked. The 40 provides all the detail of the 20, and adds higher power handling(100w vs 140w) as well as better sensitivity(90db vs 92db). The 60 is a great speaker as well, standing right with it's bigger sibling, only falling shy in the power ratings. A great bang for buck speaker in the Paradigm lineup.

· Registered
701 Posts
If I had to do a Paradigm system again, I would get 4 20s, the matching center and with the money saved on the fronts(from 40s, 60s) I would spend it on the subs. The last Paradigm set-up I had, I had 40s for fronts and thought I should have kept the 20s. Just love the 20s! As far as subs go, there are a lot of them out there that will out perform the Paradigms for less money. I have had the opportunity of an Ultra against a servo 15...Needless to say I still have my SVS. Paradigm equals good stuff no matter how you slice it. YMMV

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To be honest I have very little speaker knowledge or experience and Ive only ever heard the paradigm monitor series about 15 years ago as a teenager growing up listening to Metallica and the Damn Yankees and all the music of my teenage years and I still recall how awsome the sound was way back then, that's why I am interested in the paradigms so much.I'm still undecided about the surrounds I guess in either case it will sound great but as for the AVR does the paradigm system match well with any particular brand,I know its all personal preference and such but I have noticed some say certain speakers sound alot better with certain avr's? The dealer that carries paradigm were I live also carries Denon what do you think of this combo???

thanks again.

· Registered
2,980 Posts
I have studio 60's, a cc690, and atom monitors for surrounds(wanted 20's, but I wanted the elite 150fd more). My subwoofer is the pw2200(which may not be the best sub, but it has no problem filling a room with bass) I use a pioneer vsx91(110wpc) to power the speakers set to large and crossed over at 80hz. I can say that I listen to movies and concerts really loud. I'm talking 100db with sub unplugged(I check. With spl meter) and speakers set to large but set to cross over at 80hz. I sit 10.5 feet away and my room has no treatments. The pio does a good job of providing clarity and dynamics to movie sound tracks(transformers HD DVD) and concerts(Queen rock Montreal being my favourite) Now I know that a separate amp will do a better job at everything, but when you're on a budget or have to please a wife, the pio can give you plenty of entertainment. Now I'm only running the 60's in stereo, full range, bi-amped, no sub, and it sounds good until I get the bass too loud. That's when the distortion kicks in. My final word is if you're using a subwoofer, and your set up is 5.1 so you can bi-amp the fronts, then the pio should be able to give you a good experience. Good, not great. A separate amp would give you that extra bit that these speakers deserve.

Hope you find what you're looking for. I'm looking for an amp and subwoofer. Can't make up my mind. I think parasound is my safest bet. I've heard there sound and it has everything I want. Subwoofer wise, too many options.

Good luck

David Budo

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.