Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've got a pair of Wharfedale Modus 1.6's for my front's and I would like to build a full range center channel to match the 1.6's. Unfortunately I don't have the space to add another 1.6 for center duty.

I haven't found many center channels that can actually play full range (down to 40hz or so). So far I've come across the adire audio LCC and that's it. I have no skill in designing crossover networks or the like, so a kit is a must.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a DIY'er or even a prebuilt offering that will play full range?

Thanks,

Russell

P.S. Just as background info, the Wharfedales have a silk dome tweeter and are very subtle. They are not bright at all but are rather warm. They also have a sensitivity of 89db @1W.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Some of the Definitive Technology centers have built-in powered subwoofers.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think very, very highly of VMPS and Brian Cheney (owner/designer). While most of the press directed towards VMPS nowadays is focused towards its ribbon speakers, the QSO 626 is a very capable "traditional" cone/dome tweeter.

Mr. Cheney is flexible with tweeter selection... his standard tweeter for the "base" 626 is a SEAS silk dome, with a couple of optional upgrade tweeters. A friend of mine bought (3) standard models for the front of his HT setup (I talked him into them as an alternative to Bose)... These are just the standard 626's with the silk dome tweeter and standard mids.

Even the standard model has a -3dB point of 42 Hz, while the SE model (with super heavy-duty woven carbon fiber cones on the mids) has a -3dB point of something like ~35Hz.

This is a nice sized Mid-Tweeter-Mid design that's not too big to make a good center channel, but honestly plays lower than a lot of towers. I've got a 626 SE with a Focal metal oxide tweeter in my HT room and love it!

If you're feelin' frisky, save money and get the kit form. The cabinet's completely assembled... all you do is the soldering work for the crossover and drivers. All instructions and parts are included!

A couple of links:

http://www.vmpsaudio.com/qso626p.htm
http://www.vmpsaudio.com/qsodoc1.htm

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Russ,

A possible choice might be the Joe D'Appolito designed Audax center channel, part of a DYI HT setup they commissioned, although it's 3dB down at 50 Hz. Madisound and Zalytron have kitted-up the parts and also have enclosures if you don't feel like rolling your own. Details on the entire system can be seen at http://www.audax.com/doit/us_ht01.shtml

-Dan

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Covermye,

The VPMS look very nice. I am still drawn to the LCC by Adire though because of the separate midrange driver. I have no doubt that the VPMS play very cleanly, but it would seem that the "chestiness" of playing the upper midrange through the midbass drivers would still exist in the VPMS design.

I have heard very good things about VPMS though, so it is going to have to be thrown in the mix. Ideally I'd like to see the VPMS with a separate midrange driver mounted below the tweeter. Of course this would require extensive crossover work, but seems like it would deliver a better sound, especially for the center channel which has the daunting task of reproducing the human voice.

DLK,

I've just now started looking at the Audax center channel setup. I must say that the -3db point is a bit high, I still need to look into it more. I'm glad you posted who sells the kits as I've not been able to locate that yet.

Russell

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well if you don't mind the tweeter not matching perfect, go for the 626R - It uses one midbass driver, a VMPS exclusive 8" midrange ribbon panel, and your choice of either the spiral ribbon tweeter or the new free swinging ribbon driver.

Also consider VMPS's LRC (Large Ribbon Center). It uses two midbass drivers in a ported design, with the 8" midrange panel and again, choice of ribbon tweeter...

http://www.vmpsaudio.com/lrcpic.htm
http://www.vmpsaudio.com/lrc.htm

Here are a pic and specs of the LRC.

I just realized that I sound like a saleman or a dealer. I'm not. Just a believer in Brian Cheney's ability to offer a price/performance ratio not often found in this business...

-Chris

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
re: my previous post:

If you plan on constructing this design, note that the woofer polarity is wrong in the schematics provided at the Audax website. The text discussion on the Audax site and the component layout are correct, however.

Dan Wiggins at Adire is a real nice guy. He was helpful in answering my questions about any Adire products that I asked about.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Covermye,

That LRC looks sweet! I've been a fan of ribbon drivers for some time. A couple of years ago I rebuilt some electrostatic loudspeakers that I got from a friend and loved the non-conventional sound. Ever since I have explored for alternatives to traditional speaker designs just to see how they all sound. Anyhow, back to the topic. The LRC sounds really nice, but is a big step above my price point. $300 including cabinet is more like what I am looking at.

DLK,

I have seen that Audax assembly site. It is a very informative site for building the Audax center. I wonder why Audax hasn't fixed their schematic? If I recall, this has been a problem for a while now.

Thanks again for the suggestions fella's.

Russell

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.