AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an HT setup based on Paradigm Titans. I love my Titans, but I want something where I can listen to my music in analog-direct mode without losing the low frequencies. I'm not talking earth-shattering bass, here; just appropriate extension of the sound below 60Hz.

Should I go with floorstanders from the same line (Esprit/Phantom)? Upgrade to a higher-end Paradigm line? Or is there another brand or alternative solution that would work? I'm not too worried about HT use, as I could always keep my Titans for that.

I just bought a house, so budget is an issue; no more than $1000 and the cheaper the better...

Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use Paradigm Monitor 11's as Mains and they're amazing, excellent bass IMHO

The Paradigm Monitor 7's are also great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if I am allowed to ask, but if you are interested in selling a pair of the Titans please let me know. I need a pair to complete my surround sound.

Thanks

:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Since you already have Titans and seem to like the Paradigm sound, I would suggest listening to the Studio 20s. They are also bookshelves and will be a huge upgrade from the Titans. They have a much more refined sound and will play a lot lower. MSRP is $800.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I think the Mon. 7's would be a good choice if you want more bass.

The Studio20's are a bit better in the middle/upper frequencies, but lack the bass of the 7's . The 20's will however have more bass over the titans.

The 11's in my experience need a lot of room to breathe.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Btw, fullrange speakers are speakers with only 1 driver, which handles all frequencies. They usually don't go much lower than 80hz, so I don't think you should be looking for fullrange speakers :p

I guess you have a sub connected via line out of your receiver, which you 'lose' when running analog direct?

But what is exactly the point of running analog direct? Wouldn't you be better off setting your receiver to stereo and just running with the sub? Or you just don't want to use the sub and just prefer mains with more bass extension?

Also "just appropriate extension of the sound below 60Hz." is very vague.. What is appropriate to you? 10hz? 20hz? 40hz? (the lower hz value, the lower the sound), or you probably meant "above" 60hz :) [end nitpicks ;)]

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Personally, I'd go with the floorstanders from the Paradigm Performance series, unless you plan to upgrade your center channel as well. If that's the case, then you can go with any full range speaker systems (I added that word for Grandarf's benefit!) and get the matching center as soon as you are able.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I would also suggest Monitor 7's. I love the studio's, but you end up paying a lot more all the way around to match them.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'd go to AV123 and see if someone in your area will let you listen to their Rocket 550s. In my opinion they can hang with Studio 100s. I do not own the Rockets. I have Ascend 340s but they would require a sub for below 50hz.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I have Monitor 11's. I agree they need to "breathe", but disagree about them having good bass. I cross mine over @ 80hz. Mine are powered my a seperate amp, so power isn't an issue.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-amp
I'd go to AV123 and see if someone in your area will let you listen to their Rocket 550s. In my opinion they can hang with Studio 100s. I do not own the Rockets. I have Ascend 340s but they would require a sub for below 50hz.

Interesting... have your heard them head to head?

I ask, because I own the Rocket 850's and was seriously considering the 100's and the 60's before hearing the 850's.

But once I heard the 850's I was hooked.

Craig

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandarf
But what is exactly the point of running analog direct? Wouldn't you be better off setting your receiver to stereo and just running with the sub? Or you just don't want to use the sub and just prefer mains with more bass extension?
Kind of both. The reason for analog direct is subjective; basically I just don't like the sound as much when I run my music through the receiver's DSP and DACs. I don't know why, I just don't. Or maybe it's just that I like the particular sound of my CD player's analog output? (My receiver is a Sony 1000ES, which should have better DACs than my plain old Sony CD changer, so it must be something else...?)

As for the sub, well, it's not the greatest sub in the world. And even if it was, getting it to blend seamlessly with the mains would still be a challenge. It would be easier to have it all in one package (at least that way I can't drive myself nuts trying to re-tweak it all the time... :) ).

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondmanp
Personally, I'd go with the floorstanders from the Paradigm Performance series, unless you plan to upgrade your center channel as well. If that's the case, then you can go with any full range speaker systems (I added that word for Grandarf's benefit!) and get the matching center as soon as you are able.
Good point. Theoretically I could keep the front titans and switch out A/B speakers for music vs. HT use. However I had that kind of setup once in the past and it was a major pain.

Also, since my auditioning access is limited, staying in the same family might the safest route. (There's one shop in town that's still technically a Paradigm dealer, but since they switched to doing custom installation work, they no longer keep any on hand for demos :( )

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you do stay in the same line, I'd look at the Legends. They sounded much more full than the Espirit to me. (I didn't hear the Phantoms.)

Also, I don't think you'll be disappointed with a performance series center with Monitor 7's. The tone will match just fine; you will only hear a different when you put in a 370 and the center stage will sound much fuller. I had a 170 with Monitor 7's for a little while, and it sounded very nice.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.