AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms /forum/post/0

okay,

what is everybody's preference for home theatre?

nothing below 80 Hz, purely for HT. not music, just movies, which is a better option? and why?

If you have a smallish sub and your listening levels are moderate, you can get away with twoways.I used Paradigm Mini MK3's for years and they sounded great.

If you build or buy a monster subwoofer with real reference level reproduction you will need to be able to match that subwoofers levels at the XO frequency. I use (4) Adire Tumults and the bass is over whelming.The problem was that at the XO frequency (100hz), my little twoways gave up.I was good up to about 80-85db. I ended up building threeways so that the 100hz-200hz range was covered by the twin 8" woofers in each of my LCR mains .You will notice the midrange going to hell in a twoway design when the woofer is trying to reproduce mids and all it's peak to peak displacement is used up reproducing bass frequencies.

Hope this helps. Food for thought.....Mark Seaton has a main that incorporates twin 12" woofers and a coax 6.5 mid-tweeter.The woofers are fed 1000watts each I believe.Mark discovered this and here is his answer.Art S. has them installed now and they are kicking butt.

·
Registered
378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/0

You will notice the midrange going to hell in a twoway design when the woofer is trying to reproduce mids and all it's peak to peak displacement is used up reproducing bass frequencies. . . You will notice the midrange going to hell in a twoway design when the woofer is trying to reproduce mids and all it's peak to peak displacement is used up reproducing bass frequencies.

I think that is a pretty broad brush statement, especially since you are comparing "little" two-ways to a three way system that has 8" woofers. Were both sets of speakers of comparable price and quality?

My vintage Advent 4002's have no trouble in the mid-bass region. I have heard of many other two-way designs that operate 80Hz up without problems.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think everybody misunderstood me. I meant full range drivers. Like fostex and the like vs. a two way. Which is better?

with a two way speaker you have the cross over in the midrange, vs a three range which has a driver for that. a full range speaker doesn't have a crossover, and alot of people really like the way they sound, others don't

·
Registered
378 Posts

Quote:

i think everybody misunderstood me. I meant full range drivers. Like fostex and the like vs. a two way. Which is better?

with a two way speaker you have the cross over in the midrange, vs a three range which has a driver for that. a full range speaker doesn't have a crossover, and alot of people really like the way they sound, others don't

Ooooh. The neatest full range setup I heard was actually a two channel one. It was one Fostex driver in a tall transmission line enclosure. It sounded nice.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomieMCT /forum/post/0

I think that is a pretty broad brush statement, especially since you are comparing "little" two-ways to a three way system that has 8" woofers. Were both sets of speakers of comparable price and quality?

My vintage Advent 4002's have no trouble in the mid-bass region. I have heard of many other two-way designs that operate 80Hz up without problems.

No statement is without exeption.I was speaking of my monitors and the limitations of twoways that was completely off , from the return post of the OP.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don't know. Some day I'd like to build a pair for HT and find out what they sound like. Probably use the lower priced variety like the 6.5 FF165K (can be seen at Madisound). My upper treble hearing range is going to hell anyway.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevdart /forum/post/0

I don't know. Some day I'd like to build a pair for HT and find out what they sound like. Probably use the lower priced variety like the 6.5 FF165K (can be seen at Madisound). My upper treble hearing range is going to hell anyway.

I sadly found out that i'm rolled off at 14khz.I was testing my speakers and could not hear a 16khz test tone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 /forum/post/0

Checkout this link. The guy is using Pioneer B20 fullrangers.

http://www.teamtoxicbass.com/~pete/h...dio/index.html

thats sweet, similar concept to what i was thinking. I wonder what his SPL is, and the size of his room? It's only a two channelsetup, I am interested in doing at least 5, with the rear two being simple sealed channels, but the front three being TL's like what he did

·
Registered
571 Posts
He looks like he's using something for the center, but I can't tell what it is.

I will say that I have the Pioneer B20's and they put out a very wide sound stage. I could see doing well with a phantom center. But I used a helper tweeter on the Pioneer's. It looks like he decided to not use a helper tweeter because he has a center channel.

The Pioneer B20's also have a good bottom end and help make a sub virtually invisible.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts

Quote:

There is no correct answer. Every speaker is going to bring something to the

party that is different. If you want a single full range driver then you need some

type of method to extract more bass, ie horn, transmission line, etc. If you want

a speaker with tweeters, midranges, woofers, subwoofers, crossovers, etc., that

works too.

If like your music very loud and clean across the whole audio band, then you will

have a very hard time trying to reach that goal with a single driver.

·
Registered
272 Posts
HDholic,

The loudspeaker design cookbook by Vance Dickason is a good bet, it's in it's 7th edition now but the the 6th edition is on sale at www.madisound.com for $10 I'm not sure what's new in the 7th version but I don't think you'd be missing much by going with the 6th. Also check out www.diyaudio.com and the diy forum at www.htguide.com aswell as here for lots of info. For subs check here- www.diysubwoofers.org

Tristan

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i am already an active member over at HTguide, and am a member over at DIYaudio.

both are amazing websites with untold amounts of information. DIY has a section dedicated to full range, and HTguide for the most part seems to be into two/three way designs. I came here hoping for an alternative perspective.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.