AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a real noob question,sorry. But having fairly recently upgraded to Windows 7 from XP I realise I do not know what the "full range speakers" setting does when configuring my playback device.

My surrounds are not full range, but I have a good Denon AVR and want it to do all the Bass Management. So what do I do?

- Does "full range" pass multi-channel audio to the speakers without any base management ("limited range" sends Bass from each channel to the LFE)? In which case full range is what I want.

- Or does "full range" send the LFE channel, also to the surrounds (as PDVD does if you set full range)? In this case full range is NOT what I want!

- Or does "Disable all enhancements" make the setting irrelevant?!

I can't find any clear statement (or even unclear one!) on this, but I've probbaly missed something obvious.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Sounds like you are bitstreaming the audio to your receiver in which case it shouldn't matter as the signal is transported to the receiver as it is on the disc.

However, keep it unchecked if you use analog outs.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I'm not bitstreaming. Mostly I am using WASAPI exclusive, so I realise there all will be fine. However, not all players can do that so at times I am using non-exclusive DS or Wave multi-channel LPCM, which is going though the W7 Mixer.

It is odd (or is it?!) that MS do not seem to say anywhere what happens when you set "full range".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts