AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I have been watching everything full screen on my new P50, I am up to about 200 hrs of viewing and will likely start to work in some less than full screen viewing.

I am just wondering if people think that it is a good idea to toss up a white screen now and again even if one has been watching everything full screen and has pushed logos off the edge or if it only makes sense if you are mixing in some viewing that is not full screen and have allowed logos to remain viewable on occasion as well.

There are a good many posts relating to the topic when one is not watching everything full screen. I have not seen anyone voice an opinion based on full screen viewing.

·
23,031 Posts
You haven't watched any 2.35:1 DVDs? What willpower! :) Zooming

them is not quite as satisfying. The thing I worry about the most

is logos or static images, but I don't tend to watch any station for long periods of

time where it would matter.

I've watched DVDs in there original format since I've had my P50 (400 hours) and I usually stretch SD material. The only time I ever put

up the white screen is to check on the "pink". :)

larry

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts

·
23,031 Posts
Speaking of burn-in, how would you most easily see it?

1) white screen

2) black/dark screen

3) it depends

larry

·
Registered
764 Posts
PScoop:

Burn-in stands out most when you have a solid, lighter-colored background. Somewhat less against dark backgrounds -- even a burnt in pixel can still turn itself off, it just doesn't get as bright when lit up.

Take a good look at the ATM screen next time you get some cash. Most of the older machines have the bank logo burnt into the display, since that's what they show during the 95% of the time that they're not being used. The burn-in is visible on nearly any screen you access while using the machine. That's how burn-in looks on a CRT. It's about the same on a plasma too.

·
Registered
764 Posts
MarkRubin:

Your link doesn't seem to mention any information on generating the white screen -- are you sure you posted the right link? Did I overlook something there?

·
Super Moderator
21,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by peebee
MarkRubin:

Your link doesn't seem to mention any information on generating the white screen -- are you sure you posted the right link? Did I overlook something there?
this is what I was referring to from trainerdave's post:

'The extra benefit is you can further set DPMS to show all-white screen for a minute or more (up to an hour) every day to stop burn-in from building up.'

Mark

·
23,031 Posts
I clicked on the link and it takes you to the thread where TrainerDave

is talking about using DPMS to turn off the P50 and the DPMS function

can also run the white screen for a specified amount of time if you so

desire.

(I had already read that thread so the meaning wasn't so "hidden").

larry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.