AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotaku /forum/post/0

Remember when Sony took backwards compatibility out of the PLAYSTATION 3? That hurt. But, don't worry, it appears as though Sony hasn't totally given up on BC. A job listing for a development engineer has popped up on the Sony Computer Entertainment site. The job entails:

Implementing and improving software emulation for the PS/PS2/PSP/PS3 for the PS3 and the next generation system.

Sure, no doubt Sony is planning their next console (as are Microsoft and Nintendo), but that's still pie in the sky stuff! What interests us: Sony clearly hasn't given up on BC and seems be interested in PSP games on the PS3. Meaning? We assume players could download PSP for play on the PS3 the opposite of the current PS3 to PSP transfer. And right now, that sounds way neater than any PS4 rumors.

Job Listing [Sony Computer Entertainment via Gigazine via GameFront via GAMER via Dtoid]

Update: Reader Muu points out: "The top page of the jobs-for-hire show any updates that have been made to the site; the backwards-compatibility job isn't on that list right now, and there's archived snapshot evidence that it's been there since May 18th of 2007."
http://kotaku.com/346279/yes-sony-st...kwards-compat- [update]

There are a lot of people who are loving to proclaim that Sony is done with BC on the PS3. This article argues that. My thoughts? I bet you that PS2 emulation is being worked on very hard for a full software solution. FULL. As in, everything down to the 40 gig will be able to run PS2 in software only.

Why?

Money... And lots of it. The PS2 library is full of the most popular games of all time. Sony wants to sell these on the download. PS1 is good to go and PS2 is a no brainer. They could make millions and it seems they want to.

Now being able to play PSP games on the PS3? SIGN ME UP! I love my silver PSP but that control stick is hell. Set me loose online in Socom and Siphon Filter with my Dual Shock 3 in hand.

What do you all think? If Sony magically gave BC to all the 40 owners, would not not be some of the most positive PR ever?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Everytime I hear something about backwards compatibility, I am growing more in love with

my 60GB PS3. Although some PS2 tend to look bad on PlayStation 3 even with upscaling

and smoothing on. Although the PSP is a good idea. It is also possible for 40GB SKU get

a upgraded firmware (or retail disc?) to be installed and working on it just like 80GB does.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. /forum/post/12865244

It is also possible for 40GB SKU get

a upgraded firmware (or retail disc?) to be installed and working on it just like 80GB does.

It would be impossible to work just like the 80. The 80 has the PS2 GPU included. It only lacks the Emotion Engine. The 40 lacks both the CPU and GPU.

For the 40 to work there needs to be a new 100% software solution in place.

PS3 60: Emotion Engine - Graphics Synthesizer

PS3 80: Software/Cell - Graphics Synthesizer

PS3 40: No Hardware - No software

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynn /forum/post/12865186

http://kotaku.com/346279/yes-sony-st...kwards-compat- [update]

There are a lot of people who are loving to proclaim that Sony is done with BC on the PS3. This article argues that. My thoughts? I bet you that PS2 emulation is being worked on very hard for a full software solution. FULL. As in, everything down to the 40 gig will be able to run PS2 in software only.

Why?

Money... And lots of it. The PS2 library is full of the most popular games of all time. Sony wants to sell these on the download. PS1 is good to go and PS2 is a no brainer. They could make millions and it seems they want to.

Now being able to play PSP games on the PS3? SIGN ME UP! I love my silver PSP but that control stick is hell. Set me loose online in Socom and Siphon Filter with my Dual Shock 3 in hand.

What do you all think? If Sony magically gave BC to all the 40 owners, would not not be some of the most positive PR ever?

Damn, that'll piss me off. I just gave my PS2 and it's entire game library to a friend of mine......I guess I'll have to rebuy the God of War's and Final Fantasy's if they do get it working?!

·
Registered
289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/12865614

Damn, that'll piss me off. I just gave my PS2 and it's entire game library to a friend of mine......I guess I'll have to rebuy the God of War's and Final Fantasy's if they do get it working?!

that would be the only way I'd actually play silent hill origins >___>

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd like to see an improved emulator that renders the game at HD resolutions. Upscaling is meh, since I let my TV do that anyway.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union0015 /forum/post/12870284

I'd like to see an improved emulator that renders the game at HD resolutions. Upscaling is meh, since I let my TV do that anyway.

Considering PS2 games aren't designed to render at anything higher than 480i (some 480p and a couple 1080i) I don't think that's even possible and if it was the tremendous work involved in patching every PS2 game to be able to do that to get the marginal increase in PQ you'd get in the already substandard graphics would be absolutely pointless.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Great news. I'm really glad that I purchased my 60gb PS3 when I did
. . Not sure why they got rid of the 60gb
. Yes I do realize that production costs were too high but still, Backwards compatibility was still one of the PS3's great features. Hopefully they'll come out with a PS3 that's fully backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynn /forum/post/12865576

It would be impossible to work just like the 80. The 80 has the PS2 GPU included. It only lacks the Emotion Engine. The 40 lacks both the CPU and GPU.

For the 40 to work there needs to be a new 100% software solution in place.

PS3 60: Emotion Engine - Graphics Synthesizer

PS3 80: Software/Cell - Graphics Synthesizer

PS3 40: No Hardware - No software

RSX can emulate Graphics Synthesizer through software support. It's a GPU

much like how PC emulate PS2 or PS1 games.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Ok no one make fun of me ok? I wasnt going to post anything but since this thread popped up I'll expose myself

Two nights ago I had a dream. I was taking a class at my local community college and was inbetween lecture so I started playing my PSP. I noticed a game share invite, never played with anyone else on a psp, so I was really excited! I started looking around to see where it was coming from and damn if I dont see PHIL HARRISON playing a custom PSP!! His psp opened like a DS but it was white and had the coolest dragon custom artwork on it. Anyway, needless to say I ran over to him and started the barrage of questions and pleas. After talking to him for a while about all things ps3/psp I go "You know what would be really cool of you guys?" Phil says "whats that?" I say "Full ps2 software emulation on the ps3." Phil says "Well Im not supposed to say anything about it but its coming within this week or two." I go "Dammit I knew it!!! Something was telling me you guys were working on it. You bastards! Good ****!" Then the teacher interrupted us and I woke up.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* /forum/post/12871620

Ok no one make fun of me ok? I wasnt going to post anything but since this thread popped up I'll expose myself

Two nights ago I had a dream. I was taking a class at my local community college and was inbetween lecture so I started playing my PSP. I noticed a game share invite, never played with anyone else on a psp, so I was really excited! I started looking around to see where it was coming from and damn if I dont see PHIL HARRISON playing a custom PSP!! His psp opened like a DS but it was white and had the coolest dragon custom artwork on it. Anyway, needless to say I ran over to him and started the barrage of questions and pleas. After talking to him for a while about all things ps3/psp I go "You know what would be really cool of you guys?" Phil says "whats that?" I say "Full ps2 software emulation on the ps3." Phil says "Well Im not supposed to say anything about it but its coming within this week or two." I go "Dammit I knew it!!! Something was telling me you guys were working on it. You bastards! Good ****!" Then the teacher interrupted us and I woke up.

And this one time at band camp....

·
Banned
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* /forum/post/12871620

... Lay off grandpas cough medicine before you go to bed dude.

·
Registered
260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union0015 /forum/post/12870284

Yes, yes, yes!

Have you seen FFXII running in PCSX2 through the GSdx10 plugin and using high internal resolutions? The game looks remarkable still. Seeing is believing!

·
Banned
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru-blu /forum/post/12872478

Yes, yes, yes!

Have you seen FFXII running in PCSX2 through the GSdx10 plugin and using high internal resolutions? The game looks remarkable still. Seeing is believing!

Huh?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. /forum/post/12871111

RSX can emulate Graphics Synthesizer through software support. It's a GPU

much like how PC emulate PS2 or PS1 games.

Obviously. lol The 40 would need a total software emulation as opposed the the 80 that has partial hardware inside. The 40 can't emulate like the 80 and the 80 can't do like the 60.

You basically said the same thing I did. Glad you agree!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I don't know what everyone's obsession with the PS3's BC is. A REAL Sony fan already has a 60GB or 20GB model, as well as a PS2 in the first place. They should've kept it, but you guys wanted it cheaper...

·
Registered
3,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. /forum/post/12865244

Everytime I hear something about backwards compatibility, I am growing more in love with

my 60GB PS3. Although some PS2 tend to look bad on PlayStation 3 even with upscaling

and smoothing on. Although the PSP is a good idea. It is also possible for 40GB SKU get

meh, i have a 20GB, and honestly, i've barely touched any of my PS2 games (i own 20+). the only games i've played since i bought my PS3 were GoW2 (bought it right after i bought my PS3) and i busted out GT3 again. if i didn't own a PS3 and i still had my PS2 (sold it to help fund my PS3) i would be perfectly happy having a PS2 and 40GB PS3. looking back on it now, i would actually prefer this setup.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm using the backwards compatibility at times, but it's not for PS2 games. When I'm not playing Rock Band or Call of Duty 4, I'm popping in my Final Fantasy PS1 games as I'm trying to beat all the FF games from 1 through 12 before 13 comes out for the PS3!

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
Good news. I agree that it will allow Sony to expand the PSN library with PS2 games if they offer the software emulation.

I for one hope that they manually upgrade the frame rate, textures, and detail of certain key releases like Shadow of Colossus (I just finished this incredible game last night). Namco did this with Tekken on the PS3, so it is possible.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkchurch /forum/post/12872502

Huh?

He is talking about PS2 emulation for PCs. Rendering at HD resolutions rather than SD ones makes for a huge improvement in image quality, and it doesn't require a game to be designed or patched to support it either. 3D rendering is a finite approximation of infinite resolution geometry, how many pixels is actually used to render the images is only limited to what a given hardware configuration can accomplish at a reasonable framerate. So, if Sony does put enough work into software emulation, all PS3's could conceivable render previous generation PlayStation games in HD.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts