AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Specs are subject to change and no official release date is set.

Dish PVR 921

- High definition, two-tuner, PVR satellite receiver

- 250GB or larger hard drive for storage of HDTV & SDTV programming

- 8PSK Compatible

- PIP for standard definition content

- 8VSB Tuner included, for reception of off-air analog/digital

broadcasts

- DVI / HDTV digital interface for connection to an HDTV display

- 1394 iLINK digital interface for connection to a D-VHS

- HD Component Video output for analog connection to an HDTV display

- Future Internet support

- Supports DishPro Technology

JVC TU-PVR9000

- High definition, two-tuner, PVR satellite receiver

- 8PSK Compatible

- 120GB hard drive for storage of HDTV & SDTV programming

- PIP for standard definition content

- DVI / HDTV digital interface for connection to an HDTV display

- 1394 iLINK digital interface for connection to a D-VHS

- HD Component Video output for analog connection to an HDTV display

- Future Internet support

- Supports DishPro Technology

Dish Network HD Receiver Comparison Chart

Thanks to Scott at DBStalk.com!

·
Registered
241 Posts
i've been wondering before whether or not the pvr will be able to record OTA feeds through the 8vsb cartridge? anyone have any ideas if this is possible?

·
Registered
930 Posts
firewire only to DVHS not HDTV? What do the people at Mits have to say about that. As an owner I am a bit PO'd.

FREAK!

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
What is "DishPro" technology?

Big question: what will it allow you to record to D-VHS? OTA recordings only? Dish HBO/SHO? PPV?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
No one knows, as of yet. That's the big question that E* does not want to answer and until they do, i am not buying.

Mitsubishi owners will be offered the much cheaper 211, which is a Firewire only receiver designed to work with Mits TV's and DVHS decks that have HAVI.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Patrick, thanks for the info.

250gb hard drive! Holy cow, that can't be cheap!

The 921 was rumored to have a target price of @$1000. Do you think this will still be the case?

With the lack of OTA capability and a smaller hard drive, I am assuming that the JVC will be priced less - any guesses on that?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
DishPro technology is a new LNBF/Switching system that allows stacking of the even/odd polarizations. This allows one coax cable to feed a 2 tuner receiver and allows less complicated splitting and distribution.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
Mitsubishi owners will be offered the much cheaper 211, which is a Firewire only receiver designed to work with Mits TV's and DVHS decks that have HAVI.
OK, I don't understand this. In the descriptions of both receivers (first message of this thread) it says

"- HD Component Video output for analog connection to an HDTV display ".

Isn't that the same YPbPr that I'm using now to connect my Dish 6000 to a Mits WT46805? Do the newer Mits TV's not have a component HD input?

So will the Dish PVR 921 work with my TV at full 1080i HD, or not?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The November 12th Tech Forum said the 921 would be out 2Q03. The previous Tech Forum said JVC-TU9000 would be out late Fall 02. Fall ends 12/21/02.

Rick R

·
Registered
151 Posts
You heard it here first. Regardless of cost, I will be first in line for a 921 unit. I will suffer through the bugs, but I am dying to get my hands on one!

I just can't bring myself to buy a model 6000 in the interim. I already have one for ExpressVu and one is definitely enough! It's exactly like my old model 4000 unit.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I have not been told a release date for the units but knowing how Echostar does things, I would not expect the TU-9000 unitll Q1 of 2002 and the 921 to be available LATE 3rd quarter of 2003.

I think I will wait for the 921. I want the ability to record over the air Digital signals and I also want the 8VSB Tuner, which the TU-9000 does not offer.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
921 to be available LATE 3rd quarter of 2003.

Is this frustration speaking or do you have some credible basis for this speculation?

·
Registered
151 Posts
On Dish's Tech Forum last week, they said the PVR921 would be available Q2, 2003 as Rick_R already stated above.

However, Dish rarely - if ever - meets their delivery dates, so I'm going to take a "wait & see" approach for now.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mary H

Isn't that the same YPbPr that I'm using now to connect my Dish 6000 to a Mits WT46805? Do the newer Mits TV's not have a component HD input?
Yes, it is the same YPbPr that you are using. The integrated Mits have firewire as well as YPbPr and I was hoping that the 921 would be able to use the firewire for displaying to the TV. Unfortunately, it looks like the firewire is for connecting to a DVCR only. I hope I will at least be able to archive sat HD to tapes. Despite this shortcoming, the 921 has a lot of nice features.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz
No RGB output, it sucks!
Vic, are you honestly upset because it gives a component analog out

but not a computer (VGA) analog out ? Or is that a typo ?

(component can be backconverted into computer RGB by a $100 RCA

converter, but Vic knows that).

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I think I'm going to go for the 120 MB JVC model, but ONLY if archiving of HBO/Showtime HD material

is allowed through the firewire port. I've got a Samsung SIR-T165 on order which I will use for timeshifting OTA content.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rschneider
Patrick, thanks for the info.

250gb hard drive! Holy cow, that can't be cheap!

The 921 was rumored to have a target price of @$1000. Do you think this will still be the case?

With the lack of OTA capability and a smaller hard drive, I am assuming that the JVC will be priced less - any guesses on that?
250 is about $200 now, and will be considerably cheaper when this unit

is released. It probally says something about when they expect

to release it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.