AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been looking at HD-DVD and blu-ray since the came out. I didnt go with them 2 to lack of v's and receivers that use there abilities. I have a 1080p hdmi 1.3 tv now. I plan on getting a new receiver either onkyo or denon that have hdmi 1.3 later this year. My question is if the 2nd gen plaers like the xa2 from toshiba support all the capabilities they have been saying HD-DVD would have such as 1080p the lossless audio and wider gamut when the dvd's have it on them, or are there still these okayers will be incapable of doing next year when new functions are added to the dvds? thank for the help. I want to get one of these soon b/c i watch a lot of dvd's but i also buy for the long haul so i am willin gto wait for the next gen if they are still ver inferior players.

-rob

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
i doubt you'd ever see the wider gamut in HD DVD or blu ray with 1.3. It's not on the discs.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/0

but does it have all the features promised for future use. I think i have read that it is missing one of the lossless codecs dts-hd? or i am wrong? thanks

-rob

No HD DVD player currently decodes DTS HD-MA. We are expecting a firmware update to provide it, but there's no guarantee. It supports what is currently required by the HD DVD spec. One can never know whether items added to the spec in the future will ever be supported. There is no such thing as future proof!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.