AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://aintitcool.com/node/43982

That link is to a stream in Berlin of the restored Metropolis. I dont know the whole story behind it, but apparently its been in the works for awhile. I believe the stream is still working. Anyway, a few hours after that was posted the guys at AICN received word that the film would not only be getting a theatrical release this summer, but a DVD\\Blu release sometime before this Christmas season! Details are still sketchy and unconfirmed, but it's exciting nonetheless to those that would care about this.
Read the rumor details and report from an inside source in Berlin, here:
http://aintitcool.com/node/43987

·
Registered
993 Posts
I saw the live broadcast on TV here in Germany. It was quite an experience. The rediscovered scenes (there are many small additions to existing scenes, but also some major new ones) add significantly to the movie. I particularly liked the scenes with the "thin man" and the extended finale, which became more dramatic due to the additional shots. Also, the Hel statue scenes are of course significant for understanding Rotwang's/Fredersen's motivations.

Unfortunately the newly discovered material was in pretty bad shape, so the new parts do stick out even with the recent restauration (and are also slightly cropped). But they did what they could without destroying the visible content. Otherwise the Arte broadcast (HD 720p) looked pretty good. I posted some screenshots here:

http://forum.cinefacts.de/209371-art...ml#post6635577

Unnecessary to mention that I will buy the BD the minute it comes out.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Forgive me, since this movie came out before my grandparents were born.. is it silent? I am very interested in seeing this..

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Uh, Art, you -are- aware that this is a completely new version of the film, incorporating footage that was only recently found? Your experience of the shorter version, while interesting (I saw Vertigo at that theatre, and it was lovely) is kind of beside the point in discussion of this little bit of cinematic miracle, namely, the recovery of a significant portion of a film thought lost for almost a century.

So, yes, the BD should be wonderful, and will hopefully include detailed information about the history of the restorations that this film has undergone.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 /forum/post/18136914

Forgive me, since this movie came out before my grandparents were born.. is it silent? I am very interested in seeing this..

Yup, it's silent, and among the greatest of all silent productions that have survived.

Well, unless you count the Queen version... I think Freddie added some dialogue...

(inside joke for those alive when MTV played music videos...)

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
C'mon Art. You're going to buy this.

You know it, I know it and the American public knows it.

Soooo, since there's nothing to really talk about til the release.

When was the first time you saw Metropolis?

Me? Winter Quarter 1977.

I took an English class at CWU, Science Fiction Classics.

Outstanding class. One of those MWF 90 minute jobs.

Every Friday the Prof would screen selected movies.

The first one we watched was Metropolis.

To say I was blown away would be an understatement.

To say I was mesmerized would be accurate.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark /forum/post/18137022

Yup, it's silent, and among the greatest of all silent productions that have survived.

Well, unless you count the Queen version... I think Freddie added some dialogue...

(inside joke for those alive when MTV played music videos...)

GREAT video!

·
Registered
993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark /forum/post/18137018

Uh, Art, you -are- aware that this is a completely new version of the film, incorporating footage that was only recently found? Your experience of the shorter version, while interesting (I saw Vertigo at that theatre, and it was lovely) is kind of beside the point in discussion of this little bit of cinematic miracle, namely, the recovery of a significant portion of a film thought lost for almost a century.

It's indeed a little miracle. Nobody has seen the movie as it was shown on Friday for more than 80 years! It's also the first time since then that the original music score by Gottfried Huppertz was heard at full length, and the live orchestra did a fantastic job. It sounded great and was perfectly synchronized with the movie (the score often changes shot by shot to underscore the drama on screen).
Quote:
So, yes, the BD should be wonderful, and will hopefully include detailed information about the history of the restorations that this film has undergone.

Arte showed a nice 45-minute documentary right after the live broadcast. It will probably show up on one of the disc editions.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Excellent... "Oliver K" over on Penton's thread at BD.com also went (you lucky guys you). As I said there, I'm really hoping that the Toronto Film Fest does something equally cool, although I'd sacrifice a slightly smaller orchestra for a slightly better presentation of the film (ie., less light spill).

Didn't know about the Arte doc, but that's great! Nice when conjecture comes true (so rarely does on an internet forum...
)

·
Registered
25,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark /forum/post/18137018

Wow, no, great to hear but at the same time I don't feel my experience with how great the previous availble film ,as restored, looked is of no relevance.

If they are mating 16mm film to this I hope we are in for a treat. How much footage is added to the previous Kino restoration ?

Art

·
Registered
825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/18154541

How much footage is added to the previous Kino restoration ?

Art

I think it´s about 20-30 minutes longer.

Total running time is now around 2 and a half hour long

The restored 16mm footage is very scratched up, but still pretty sharp.

Sure brought the film to another level, and I can´t wait to see it in 1080p!

1 - 20 of 176 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.