AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this Blu-ray yesterday and watched it last night. I had never seen the movie before but had heard how good it was supposed to be. Reading about all this newly found footage it seemed like a good time to check it out.

Well, first off... WOW!!! This was more entertaining than half the junk that comes out now a days and soooo far ahead of its time. I truly enjoyed it as did my girlfriend.

Picture quality was far beyond what I was expecting. The 35mm portion looks great. The 16mm newly found material has lots of scratches and is of a poor quality. But if you have read about the restoration process and the quality of what they had to work with its incredible how well they cleaned this up. There is a bonus feature on the disc that talks about this. The 16mm shots that come and go thought the film are obvious due to their quality and frame size. Which wasn't really distracting to me I kept thinking how cool it is that this was found because it really ads to the film. Every time one of these scenes came up to me it was like a little gift.

The sound was great as well. The score really seemed to fit the scenes you were watching.

If you have seen this film before this new material was found and liked it you are surely going to appreciate what is added in this release.

If you have never seen this before put aside any notions you have of older movies and movies without sound and check this out. As a film buff this is one of those movies that is required viewing.

I'm definitely glad I bought this.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I just started watching this last night on Netflix streaming. What a revelation! I watched it before, also on Netflix streaming, and it was often a chore just determining what was going on, even though it was clearly a classic. So I was really amazed to see the improvement in Metropolis Restored. Now I can see all the details in the facial expressions, and the sets are magnificent. Really a gem and I will have to add this to my small collection of "best of all time" movies.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The Kino Blu-ray version is on my short list of "must have" movies. Almost picked it up when it was advertised on sale at Best Buy but when I got there, they couldn't find it in any of the area stores. I had them pull it up on line and the two guys just looked at each other and shrugged. Still waiting...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts