AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have seen some projectors having a RS 232 port, could anyone explain why this is used in a projector ??

I saw some sites mentioning they can be used to control the projector, however I would like to do the following with the RS 232 port.

1. Select the image to be displayed via RS 232 commands, the images would be stored in a memory drive (USB) plugged into the projector, is it possible to send a command via RS 232 port along with the name of the file that needs to be displayed.

2. Also is it possible to manipulate the images in the USB drive, for example rotate, change color etc. ??

3. I have seen some USB wireless dongles attached to projectors, is it possible to control the projector using this dongle wirelessly ?? Also is this feature special only to some projectors ??

thanks
a

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Usually, the RS232 commands include anything that can be done via the remote. So sending a file name to be played is doubtful. Selecting the USB port as the input, sure. Selecting next file or previous file, sure. If you can't do it through some string of remote control button presses, doubtful.

A wireless dongle like Roku or Chromecast would be much more versatile, I think.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
As stated, the RS232 port is used to manipulate the projector. Understand that projectors are like computer monitors, or maybe a television. You can turn it on/off and switch inputs. Maybe adjust color and contrast, but source manipulation is something else.

If you have a serious need for image and source display, then you need a digital signage unit or something similar to that. Roku and Chromecast are a long ways from digital signage. Actually, Brightsign is a great way to go if you have serious work with images to display. Brightsign and Roku are actually owned by the same company.

But, it depends on what your needs are. Still, projectors display images, they aren't Photoshop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts