AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking for a smaller, more WAF friendly alternate to my HSU VTF-15.

My room is pretty big (20x35x8), but I don't listen very loud: even in sealed mode, the VTF produced more than enough output. My goals are, to quote one of the designers I emailed with are "not to re-create realistic earthquakes. Clean, deep and musical bass is all I’m after"

Like others before me I've come down to the rythmik e15 and svs sb13. I've seen the threads asking comparisons between these two, so I'm not asking about that comparison.

What I'm wondering is how the funk 18.0c compares. What are the pros/cons compared to the others? I've PM'd a couple people who seem knowledgeable (thanks, by the way), but wanted to get as much input as possible, since I'm deeming this to be my last AV move for some time (famous last words....)

*My "a priori" thought is that given my listening habits, when talking about subs of these caliber id unlikely to notice a perceptible difference between them.

Thanks in advance,

MK

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm sure any of these 3 subs will make you happy, nice thing with Funk is you can have it finished how you like and since it's a custom subwoofer/speaker shop you have a lot of options available with them. All three of these subs should at the least match the HSU you have in sealed mode but bring it in a smaller nicer looking package.

Reactions: madhuski

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks guys -

Steve: I saw the numbers at data-bass. Being a novice, a lot if it was greek to me. I "get" the spl v. Frequency charts, but don ' t really get how to use the charts/graphs to determine which driver is best for me (ie going for quality over quantity). I've been comparing them all to the hsu in sealed to determine wether the've have enough output

Brah: I kind of figured that (that I'd be happy with any if the three). I'm trying to sort out what sonic advantages are gained off each step up in price.

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1981  /t/1523625/funk-18-0c-v-rythmik-e15hp-v-svs-sb13-ultra#post_24517269

Looking at the measurements, obviously the 18.0C can deliver a heck of a lot of output from 50Hz on up, which corresponds with a rising sensitivity if you glance at the passive results. As a result, it's not surprising that it has a "sense of ease" with music. I'd also note that this high sensitivity will pay dividends in terms of dynamic capability with complex material that digs deep (music or movies), even if straight 20Hz output is comparable to the SB13/E15HP.

so, looking at the max burst graph: lets say there a movie with a lot of content from 18 to 60Hz.. Would the sub's output be limited to the SPL it could produce at 18Hz? Ie Is max burst a good enough predictor of real world performance, or is there a better chart?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Nice collection of subs up for consideration...all 3 of those where on my short. I wanted a smaller footprint but I didn't want to sacrifice down low. I don't know about your listening habits but I knew going smaller would be a compromise and something I was not willing to forgo at the moment.

I am certainly not telling you to consider the XS30 but it is notability smaller than the 15h and could fit your WAF criteria.

Just a thought.... the decision is yours ..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts